DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still burning through the free fill up from the dealer but I have a fuel question. I've heard some saying the higher octane fuel will give you better mileage. My choices are 87,89,93 around here. It jumps about 30 cents a pop as you go up. Most of the fuel here also has about 10% ethanol. Will the higher octane pay for itself or be better on the engine etc. Would love to get your ideas and experiences with these trucks.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
my own experience has been the station is far more important than the octane. depending on where i buy my gas, i can see a 3 mpg swing.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
My 5.7L would run ok using 87 octane
It ran even better using 98 octane

only use 93 octane if you installed racing equipment
otherwise 93 is a complete waste of your money

look at your Owners Manual, page 559

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 5.7L would run ok using 87 octane
It ran even better using 98 octane

only use 93 octane if you installed racing equipment
otherwise 93 is a complete waste of your money

look at your Owners Manual, page 559
My Mercedes and Audi both require over 91 octane so I've been using the 93 in them. Just wasn't sure if the 89 was worth the difference in the Ram.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm still burning through the free fill up from the dealer but I have a fuel question. I've heard some saying the higher octane fuel will give you better mileage. My choices are 87,89,93 around here. It jumps about 30 cents a pop as you go up. Most of the fuel here also has about 10% ethanol. Will the higher octane pay for itself or be better on the engine etc. Would love to get your ideas and experiences with these trucks.
The manual recommends 89.

Cheers,
Neurobit

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You must fill up every other day! At $.30 per gallon difference in price that's only 8.33 gallons of gas to make a $2.50 difference
No I don't fill up every other day. The price difference between 87 and 89 octane here is $.10, times 25 gallons is $2.50.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'll throw a tank of 89 in every once in a while, when I have "points" that reduce the price by $1.00 a gallon or more, but I run almost exclusively on 87. On a 4wd RAM with a the 5.7, there's no noticeable difference in performance or fuel mileage. The only time my mileage changes is when they bring the Summer "reformulated" hotter burning gas back in the spring time. I get 2-2.5 MPG better on the summer gas.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
87 or 89, higher is a waste

·
Registered
38 Posts
On my 15 I tried 87 top tier and because I like my truck to perform at it's best I always ran 89 top tier after that. It will run fine on 87 but if you want the best performance run 89 top tier, to me it was noticeable.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The manual recommends 89.
The owners' manual is also all-inclusive of every climate and every driving situation from coasting in the cold temperatures to towing at capacity in the hot weather of the south.

Octane is not energy, it simply makes the gas less volatile reducing pre-ignition that happens in hot weather and higher compression engines, for example.

No I don't fill up every other day. The price difference between 87 and 89 octane here is $.10, times 25 gallons is $2.50.
Where is "here"?

87 or 89, higher is a waste
BINGO! I've always run 87 in my 2013, even towing about 7,000 pounds of tractor. Never an issue.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The owners' manual is also all-inclusive of every climate and every driving situation from coasting in the cold temperatures to towing at capacity in the hot weather of the south.

Octane is not energy, it simply makes the gas less volatile reducing pre-ignition that happens in hot weather and higher compression engines, for example.

Where is "here"?

BINGO! I've always run 87 in my 2013, even towing about 7,000 pounds of tractor. Never an issue.
Where is "here"? Western Washington State.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Plenty regarding the octane here.

I suggest watching the brand of gas as well. Shell and Chevron both include Techron which does some good in keeping the system cleaner. You can also just add Techron every couple of tanks by getting it at a parts store. I've never had throttle related issues on the last few vehicles doing so...some 500k miles on all of them combined.

Oh, and on my 2016 I did 87 octane 90% of the time with no discernable issues on performance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts