DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm trying to decide what i wanna do here. i like the k and n brand, but it seems there is somebody knew everyday making intakes, like volant, aem, spectre, araid, s and b, and the list goes on. the dealership told me i could do what i wanted and it shouldnt be a warranty issue, just to take it off if something happens, and i have to bring it in. but they said a drop in k and n would give me about the same as a full cold air intake. i had a drop in filter in a grand am, and then i full cold air on my 02 ram, but i cant compare the difference as one is a light weight car and the other a truck. so i'm asking you guys what you think is better, i would love more power, not that i need it, but i want it. lol but i would like to see better mpg if possible. i just got my exhaust redone and will have a programmer just as soon as they are out. just not sure where to go with the intake. and does anybody know what size the after market tubes are? thanks for any and all posts.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Just get what you like. I had a drop in K&N and now have the Vararam. I dont know if it made much of a diff bc the day I installed my Vararam I paired it with a 85mm throttle body and I had just picked it up from the shop with a fresh set of 4.56 in it. I installed those 2 mods during my first cooling cycle of my gears. Throttle Response is 100% different and the truck pulls like theres no tomorrow. I just dont know how much of a difference it made :(

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Just get what you like. I had a drop in K&N and now have the Vararam. I dont know if it made much of a diff bc the day I installed my Vararam I paired it with a 85mm throttle body and I had just picked it up from the shop with a fresh set of 4.56 in it. I installed those 2 mods during my first cooling cycle of my gears. Throttle Response is 100% different and the truck pulls like theres no tomorrow. I just dont know how much of a difference it made :(
candy, i have yet to hear of anyone getting significant, meaning any gains at all, out of a spacer or aftermarket intake. dodges stock intake has been known to be as good or better than aftermarket. the intake and open exhaust may help when you do major engine mods as they will all work together. most have said no gains in seat of the pants dyno or mpg gains, but do like the added noise factor. changing from a 3.55 or 3.92 gear ratio to 4.56, that should produce quite a noticeable difference.
to the op, as for the oiled styled, dry or stock paper filters, i will leave that debate to others, i stick with stock paper elements.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Changing to a true CIA is more of a wow factor under the hood then any real seat of the pants change in performance. They (CIA) will help when you start to add other mods. I add a drop-in K & N to every car/truck I buy just for the maintence factor. The one in my 08 Ram lasted 78K and never did need cleaning. I have a CIA on the wifes Charger but we have other mods on the car.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
You`ll go back to the stock setup, most people usually do.
The stock setup on the 4th gen trucks are the best.
Just put a K&N drop-in filter in it and forget it.

Unless you intend to do ALOT of mods to your engine, CAI is worthless on a stock 4th gen.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
i would say it depend on what you whant, i started with the knn drop in and switch it for a knn cai with the plastique intake tube,

for me, just for the sound that the knn cai makes its worth the money,

the drop in you wont really notice any change in sound,

with the knn cai, its very lound, ,. and a nice sound when you press on it

as far as gain, since i had the two i can says the defference,...

i found that my rpm goes up easyer with the knn cai vs the knn drop in

also i found the knn cai for 226$

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree with the comments that the OEM intake on the Gen 4 models is pretty darned good. I wish we could see some real dyno numbers on this model truck in various stages with each mod one at a time. On the aftermarket CAI's, I'm suspicious that their increased flow may not come into play unless you have headers, y-pipe mod, and higher flow muffler(s). The mod of the OEM airbox where you add an extra cold air inlet at the bottom, per jrm's mod, seems like a very good, cost efficient mod with the addition of a K&N drop-in filter. A higer flowing muffer, extra air inlet in the OEM airbox, and a K&N filter probably gives you a little performance bump without a lot of cash or modding. I did it to mine, but my butt dyno hasn't been certified for absolute power gain qualifications.:D

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
You`ll go back to the stock setup, most people usually do.
The stock setup on the 4th gen trucks are the best.
Just put a K&N drop-in filter in it and forget it.

Unless you intend to do ALOT of mods to your engine, CAI is worthless on a stock 4th gen.
Have to strongly disagree with you i put one in mine and i cut a 4'' hole in the bottom ran a 4'' tube to the bottom grill with a scoop not only have i gotten better throttle response but i got 1-2 mpg increase i drive 50 miles a day so ya i keep tract of it.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I agree with the comments that the OEM intake on the Gen 4 models is pretty darned good. I wish we could see some real dyno numbers on this model truck in various stages with each mod one at a time. On the aftermarket CAI's, I'm suspicious that their increased flow may not come into play unless you have headers, y-pipe mod, and higher flow muffler(s). The mod of the OEM airbox where you add an extra cold air inlet at the bottom, per jrm's mod, seems like a very good, cost efficient mod with the addition of a K&N drop-in filter. A higer flowing muffer, extra air inlet in the OEM airbox, and a K&N filter probably gives you a little performance bump without a lot of cash or modding. I did it to mine, but my butt dyno hasn't been certified for absolute power gain qualifications.:D
And yes the oem is good but only if you do the tube mod without it its horrible the air inlet for the stock box is so small and congested its pointless

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok what the tube mod ur talking about dodgert? and does anybody know the link to the forum on the whole in the bottom of the stock air box? and the only mods i'm planning for performance is exhaust which is done, the intake and a programmer.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
The stock intake is actually a cold air intake. It draws in "cold" air from outside the hot engine bay. Many aftermarket intakes advertised as "CAI" are actually not, and draw in hot air from under the hood.

The big problem with the stock intake is the fender inlet is tiny.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put a drop in k&n filter and removed the snorkel.Its definitely louder and Im pretty sure it is better.(seat of my humble pants)Even though it comes from the engine bay.It seems the snorkel leads to an area that may be a lower air pressure area(front of wheel well).I will try to rig some ducting to a true cold area at front.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just put a drop in K&N filter and I've notice a pretty big difference of throttle response and a little bit of louder sound. I've pretty happy with it for as cheap it is compared to and aftermarket intake system

·
Registered
47 Posts
The dealer I bought mine from had a K&N setup with Dyno comparison to stock.Added 15 hp If I remember correctly.They would install it for $50 over the cost of selling it outright.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The dealer I bought mine from had a K&N setup with Dyno comparison to stock.Added 15 hp If I remember correctly.They would install it for $50 over the cost of selling it outright.
These must be K&Ns numbers.
If we do this and follow Clark from AutoAnything's suggestion (see this thread)
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=105591
we can gain up to 30 HP.
Sounds too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Doesn't Dodge have a CAI available? Anyone running it?
I believe it's made by AEM and re-branded MOPAR (blue paint as well). Anyone running an AEM is running the same thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had a Volant on my truck for the past 4 months. I cannot say that it adds much power though. It sounds awesome so I am happy with it. It also adds a nice touch to the engine bay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put the K&N CAI on my 2011. I believe it has increased the power. It does sound pretty awesome! I paid 225 on amazon. Worth the money.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts