DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know there's a lot info on this already but as a newbie it's a bit overwhelming (confused!). Please advise me.

I just purchased a 2009 RAM 1500 SLT with 17" wheels and I want to put on a set of 20" Black KMC XD Rockstar Toyo MT 35x12.5x20. I know it requires a lift kit of a minimum of 4" so, I want to confirm that this is true or not. If so, I want to go the cheapest route. I read about lift kits, leveling kits, suspension kits...and I don't know what's what (except that they all have to do with lifts).

I don't plan on going off road riding. I want the look that all you guys have. It's beautiful and I wan it but the least expensive way. I know the wheels are quite expensive as is so I want to save on the lift kit. Please help.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A leveling kit would be the most efficient way to make room for bigger tires. The spacers are relatively cheap, and can be easily purchased online. The thread below has those size tires with just a leveling kit, check it out:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49151

Hi, so you'll saying all I'll need is "2 inch leveling kit (front) and 1 inch in the rear"? What's my second option? (this setup looks kinda low)

THX

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well if your not planning on going offroad and just looking for the look i would say do a body lift...i usually dont recomend them but if you just want the look and clearance that is your best bet!

I have over 35's on mine by like 1/4" and there almost 13" wide an all im running is a level kit up front!

As mentioned above a 6" suspension lift....but that will run you a chunk of change!! haha
Which ever route you go i would like to see pics like most any mods done on here :smileup:

Good luck with it, the tire wheel combo is going to look sick!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if your not planning on going offroad and just looking for the look i would say do a body lift...i usually dont recomend them but if you just want the look and clearance that is your best bet!

I have over 35's on mine by like 1/4" and there almost 13" wide an all im running is a level kit up front!

As mentioned above a 6" suspension lift....but that will run you a chunk of change!! haha
Which ever route you go i would like to see pics like most any mods done on here :smileup:

Good luck with it, the tire wheel combo is going to look sick!!
@Ruffian so, 2 inch leveling kit (front) and 1 inch in the rear? If so, where can I get it? Do you have pictures of your truck and/or others running the same setup (i.e. leveling kit).

Thanx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K, so let me get this straight.

First of all....this forum site is off-da-hook (fantastic)! Lot's of great folks and experience out there.

My cost efficient options are 1. body lift, and 2. Leveling lift

I know the suspension lift covers real off road activities and it seems like the other two (options above) is simple to raise the height.
Is the body lift's purpose only to accommodate bigger tires only?
Are leveling lift's primarily intended to level out the truck, when slagging occurs, but also used to accommodate the beefy wheels?

I simple want to choose the better one of the two (body or leveling kit). I want about a 2.5" - 3" lift for the new 35" wheels setup but want to use the best of the two cheaper options. Which should I go for?

For leveling .... I see that most kits only come with front spacers. Daystar sell front and back, separately. HBS and ReadyLift only have fronts (if I'm not mistaken). I could only envision it and it seems like the lift should be in the front and back. Yes/no?

I will open a new thread (I need points) to find out what make is recommended (e.g. Daystar, HBD, or ReadyLift for leveling kits).

THANKS!

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
Well if you're wanting to go up 3" in the front, then a leveling kit alone won't do it. The highest spacer is 2.5". Yes, the leveling kit is intended to level the truck and accommodate room for beefier tires. You could do the spacers up front with a body lift, but that will cost some money. I like Daystar, but they are most certainly not the only ones out there.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yes a body lift is the essentialy cheaper way to get a lifted look truck and bigger tires!...my tires rub on the sway bar links so a body lift wouldnt help me out!

If you want to really just stuff the 35's under there then you can accomplish it with a level kit, my tires are over 35 and well over the 12.5 wide...so if you put those on you should have alot less rubbing then me! depends if you can deal with that!

Also a level kit is designed to lift the front to make it level with the rear as from factory the trucks will come raked forward...that is why most level kits do not come with anything in the rear, and you should be able to fit 35's in the back without any kit as they dont have to deal with the turning angles as the front does

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
Yes a body lift is the essentialy cheaper way to get a lifted look truck and bigger tires!...my tires rub on the sway bar links so a body lift wouldnt help me out!

If you want to really just stuff the 35's under there then you can accomplish it with a level kit, my tires are over 35 and well over the 12.5 wide...so if you put those on you should have alot less rubbing then me! depends if you can deal with that!

Also a level kit is designed to lift the front to make it level with the rear as from factory the trucks will come raked forward...that is why most level kits do not come with anything in the rear, and you should be able to fit 35's in the back without any kit as they dont have to deal with the turning angles as the front does
:goodpost7td: Nicely said :smileup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
:goodpost7td: Nicely said :smileup:
Ok guys so it seems like I'm going to go with a body lift and leveling kit. I found an interesting article with details about a company which offers both (http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0908st_2009_dodge_ram_lift_kit/index.html). Do you guys recommend Performance Accessories 5" Premium Lift System 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 (body and leveling combo)?

Kit = https://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=PLS600/706.2.0.0.0.0.0

If so, should I take it to the dealer to install or a local shop that might have off road accessories experience? Not sure if dealer needs to collaborate or re-program anything in the computer.

And with this lift I can definitely make good enough room for 20" Black KMC XD Rockstar Toyo MT 35x12.5x20, right? Will 12.5 stick out by a lot or is that the average look?

I swear guys I'm almost there. THANX!

PS Am I running into potential "death wobble"? If so, what level/inches would I be safe from it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DSPTYWCADET09 and/or Ruffian can you guys just answer my last questions. I think I'm set on that body & leveling kit but I want to ensure I don;t have any issues like the "death wobble" I keep reading about.

Thanks! John

·
Registered
11,861 Posts
Sorry man, I can't speak for a truck like yours with that setup. I talked to a guy with an 09 with a 6" BDS suspension lift (which would only be a little higher than the setup you're talking about) and he said the ride was excellent, no mention of the "death wobble"

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You shouldnt have any problems with a "death wobble" as all your doing is putting a level kit in and a body lift....neither of these should affect the ride of the vehicle as your not changing any steering angles except the tie rod ends

If i am right the death wobble affects those lifting up 6" fully suspension...an they also have convention steering..with the box, pitman arm, center link, etc.

On a 1500 all there is is the steering rack!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts