DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2009 1500 laramie 5.7, I have all the common problems, cylinder 2 wiped the lobe. sheared several exhaust manifold bolts. I'm starting my tear down and am looking for advice on the best MDS delete kits with cam, and best headers for the price. any advice is helpful, thank you!

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,413 Posts
How many miles before the failure?

There are delete kits available, but you'll need lifters, cam, solenoid plugs, and a tuner(or send PCM for delete).

For headers, I went with BBK shorties but had to port match a few inlets to clear the OEM gasket. I'd suggest JBA's for a bolt on application. Long tubes are also an option but it's no where near a direct swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
failure i believe started around 143K i was at the end of my warranty and just learned about the common cam failure. with cylinder 2 missing I tried the typical coil and plugs to no avail. after taking it to my local dealer they claimed i crushed a plug putting it in and they fixed "my mistake" for $300 in labor.
after that it was missing intermittently until it finally stopped correcting itself just under 150K. so now its on me to get the job done right. ive looked at delete kits with a new cam, lifters, gaskets, mds plugs, and a superchip tuner for about $1,100 there are a couple other items I want to take care of while it's apart such as getting the heads cleaned up and checked. having the manifold bolts extracted, new timing chain possibly and throw some headers on while i'm at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts