DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Main things to look for are the following:

1) The filtration level(measured in microns). "Better" filtration is not necessarily better. "Better" filtration (in terms of micron rating) will be more restrictive and your oil pump will be working overtime. It's best to get a filter that has the same filtration level as oem.

2) The type of gaskets. Some cheap filters (like the cheaper fram models) use cardboard instead of rubber. It should be obvious why rubber makes a better gasket than cardboard...

3) Anti drain back valve. Not all filters have this, and if it doesn't then it can cause "dry" starts as it will take longer to circulate oil throughout the engine on start up.

WIX(same as NAPA) is what I use. Mopar's are good. I don't know for sure but would guess that K&N, RP, and Bosch all are good.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Yes that's true the coil spring is better than the leaf spring. The expensive frams are supposedly good but why pay double when you can get a good filter for half? Fram has a genius marketing program...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I didn't read what you wrote correctly, I thought you were saying that the leaf spring was the one that made the problem.

The coil spring is supposed to keep better and more consistent pressure, providing less leaks. I'd never heard anything bad about them until your comment.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Wouldn't that possibly keep particles from being caught by the filter and possibly cause a build up along the walls? I would think that defeats the purpose of the filter. Just my $0.02
That's exactly what I was thinking, it would magnetize the entire filter (anything that is metal anyway...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
We're on the same sheet of music, which for you is not a good thing, cuz I'm an idiot
HAHA that was funny!

I've heard of these before (just didn't know what they were called) but have never heard anything good or bad about them...

The drain plug magnets work, there's always a little bit of "stuff" captured by them when I change oil/trans fluid in any of my vehicles (...man you should see what gets caught on the drain plug magnet in the trans of my buell....it's amazing it even shifts haha...stupid harely engineers...).

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I'm not sure, I just know the napa filter (might be gold, not sure) for my buell is made by WIX. The napa guy told me napa filters are made by wix and identical, not sure if it's just the golds or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.