DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
what's a filtermag?
i googled it and it appears to be a magnet that you put on the outside of your oil filter to catch any metal filings and keep them attached to the filter casing...

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh I see. Does it really do anything? Why not just let the filter do it's job?
good question. ive never heard of it before this post.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Wouldn't that possibly keep particles from being caught by the filter and possibly cause a build up along the walls? I would think that defeats the purpose of the filter. Just my $0.02
That's exactly what I was thinking, it would magnetize the entire filter (anything that is metal anyway...

· Registered
98 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking, it would magnetize the entire filter (anything that is metal anyway...
We're on the same sheet of music, which for you is not a good thing, cuz I'm an idiot :LOL:
I have often seen magnetic tips on the oil pan drain plug, for obvious reasons.

I've never heard of this thing and I've never heard of anything related to this concept.

Does anyone have any factual documentation on this matter? Video? Links?

· Registered
13,692 Posts
We're on the same sheet of music, which for you is not a good thing, cuz I'm an idiot
HAHA that was funny!

I've heard of these before (just didn't know what they were called) but have never heard anything good or bad about them...

The drain plug magnets work, there's always a little bit of "stuff" captured by them when I change oil/trans fluid in any of my vehicles (...man you should see what gets caught on the drain plug magnet in the trans of my buell....it's amazing it even shifts haha...stupid harely engineers...).

· Registered
98 Posts
:4-looney:OKAY!!!!! This subject is driving me nuts. I do not know which direction the oil enters the filter and which direction it exits the filter. With that said, please everyone, bare with me and my ignorance. (And before you smart @$$es pipe-in, I know it goes in through the top and exits through the top. :LOL:)

1) If the dirty oil enters the filter canister through the outer ports, running along the outer side wall, wouldn't the metal particles stick to the side walls and build up. Possibly build up too much in one area too close to one point near the actual filter portion?:4-dontknow:

2) If the oil enters the oil filter canister through the center and filters outward, through the filter screen, to the outer side walls, and back up through the outer port holes, then would the pull of a magnet possibly ruin the integrity of the oil filter by pulling the metal particles through the filter?:4-dontknow:

3) If someone feels compelled to attach a magnet to their oil filter to catch metal particles, does that mean he/she has a serious metal shaving issue:doh: or does it mean he/she is just as obsessed :thk:as the Ram fanatics that replaces their factory parts or installs additional parts such as:
-factory lights with LED's because the factory's are not good enough?
-factory exhaust because they're not cool, loud, deep, or throaty enough?
-splash guards because the fender wells don't protect enough and it looks cool?
-CAI because drop-ins or factory is not good enough?
-...and so on and so on....

4) Am I thinking too much in to this since I plan on doing all those things mentioned above minus the filter mag (no offense to the filter mag users out there)?

· Registered
323 Posts
the oil typically does come in from the outer ports and flow back into the motor from the center, but as for how the magnet affects this I have no experience.

edit: maybe this link helps?? http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm

· Registered
98 Posts
the oil typically does come in from the outer ports and flow back into the motor from the center, but as for how the magnet affects this I have no experience.

edit: maybe this link helps?? http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm
WOW!!! After reading this link, I feel like a freak'n rocket scientist [I may not be a rocket scientist, but I play one on T.V.]

I am very impressed with the write-up. It's a company pushing it's product, yet it's stating facts and NOT touting how their product is superior to all other, but merely stating how their product can perform the task.

QUICK SUMMARY:
-Okay, the filter mag is cool.
-Long lasting oil is cool, but make sure you have an oil filter that can handle it.
-Long lasting oil filters may not be the way to go, but just rotate through good filters and replace the lost oil with fresh oil.
-Oil filters that grab more particles are also more restrictive.
-Oil filters that flow better catch less particles.
-Oil filters that are more restrictive may cause the bypass valves to open during cold start-ups and allow dirty oil to circulate through the engine (dirty oil is better than no oil).
-For us everyday, normal drivers, OEM filters are fine. (It still makes me feel better to one-up it on the manufacturer's recommendation).
-Most importantly, I just realized I didn't know JACK SH+T :4-dontknow:

:thk:I think I'm going to have to research the different options of oil filter magnets. :smileup:I like how the link includes a photo of metal particles stuck to the oil filter mag!

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
:eek:ld: I hate to resurrect an old dead thread, but im hoping some of you guys that respnded have subscribed to the thread.

Im headed to the U S and A this weekend (cleveland more specifically) and im wondering where you guys are buying your wix or royal purple filters.

I tried Carquest in NY state, but the guy kinda pushed me to getting the Carquest filter that he claimed was made by Wix...while the packaging said so, id feel more comfortable buying the original wix filter (or royal purple or K&N if reasonable).

any places you could point me would be greatly appreciated...oh and if your from the cleveland area, a good bar/eats type of place.:beerchug:

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
HAHA...yeah my sad attempt at a borat reference...

thanks sean,,,ill look at napa as long as they are of the same Wix quality

· Registered
12 2500 Cummins, 92 W150 5.2
226 Posts
Isnt it the Napa Gold filters made by Wix or is it all of the Napa filters?

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I'm not sure, I just know the napa filter (might be gold, not sure) for my buell is made by WIX. The napa guy told me napa filters are made by wix and identical, not sure if it's just the golds or not.

· Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
well i was able to finally find a wix filter while in cleveland this weekend..two different stores and finally one with the correct filter in stock. pretty reasonable too at 6 bucks (much less than the K&N or Mobil1 and same as the Mopar). The real difference i noticed between the Mopar and the Wix for the same price was that the Wix had the coil spring whereas the Mopar had the leaf spring...i know that was a consideration someone pointed out earlier in the thread.

got it installed today. so far so good...im happy with it, but i have no idea what id be looking for to know that i wasnt happy!! HAHA

anyhow thanks for all your help. ill post an update should one arise!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.