DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like I have a cracked exhaust manifold or at least some broken bolts. I repaired the right side leak about a year ago and now it sounds like the left side. Pretty sure I am out of warranty with 94K miles so I'll be considering a set of shorty headers this time. Comments welcome. Any reason not to install shorty headers and if you are running a set of headers, what brands have been the best? Looking for ceramic coated headers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking into it recently. Jba seems to be the best, Part Number:1961S-2JS. They are pricey, if you can find em cheap let me know the source. There really are 3 different ones to choose from. Part Number:1961S-2 is the cheapest and the ones with the titanium coating maybe better but one guy from Canada said they didn't hold up well after one winter. It may just be the cold snowy weather but I suspect that the fact that our trucks not having a splash shield has something to do with it. If you go with the cheaper set I would definitely wrap them and seal the crud out of em with some ceramic based spray paint from the auto parts store. That paint is not good for heat block alone but it will seal the wrap so it doesn't get wet and cause the headers to fail. BBK is cheaper but if you have a 2009 or newer you have d shaped ports and the BBKs are not properly port matched so I'm thinking shell out the bucks and get something that's proper. I'm in DFW, Texas and pull a trailer a lot and want to lower under hood temps as much as I can. I'm also not happy that my intake temp is around 120°f on a 90° day so I'm debating on what the best insulation is. I've used the wrap before on a old car I had and it worked great. You could touch the header with full engine temp and not get burned, the under hood temp was much better so I was no longer hit in the face with heat when I opened the hood. I've got no experience with ceramic coated, wish I did... I don't think there's a big price difference at all between buying the cheaper uncoated stainless and wrap vs. buying ceramic coated stainless and being done with it, or at least ready to install. Other than that everyone seems to agree on getting the Mopar gaskets and trash the jba or any gaskets that come with any headers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts