DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I had a question and would like some opinions. What would be the best exhaust for my Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. This might be my first mod and i would like to go for the best. I see a lot of Ram truck go for the Magnaflow but I would like to see what everyone else things? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
It all depends on the sound you want. Do you want to go loud, or a nice aggressive sound. Preferably with me, I want to scare children and wake up the elderly because I am 22 and a a-hole :LOL: I just love loud exhaust. A Magnaflow exhaust with just a muffler swap, won't be as loud but will offer a nice aggressive sound. A flowmaster will be much louder. I am running a Super 44 with the resonator removed, and my truck is pretty loud. May swap out to a Super 10 which is sopose to be extremely loud.
Here are the vids of mine truck, the first is a cold start up from the winter (click on picture to play it).

http://youtu.be/eMLnv-UVc54?list=UUfgKO0XM8cYvFRmz8a-rVSA

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sound is very subjective, but I highly recommend the MagnaFlow cat-backs. Deep throaty tone without the drone.

·
Banned
811 Posts
You'll get A LOT of different answers, Magnaflow seems to be the most popular on this forum. I tried it, wasn't for me was way too 'meh / dull' for me. After lots of youtube listening my favorites are: Flowmaster 44/44/50HD and Cherry bomb Extreme.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello, Hope you don't mind me tagging in to this question. What if one want Notch below scare the kids loud, With as little cab noise/drone as possible? What would be good system for that?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a Mufflex 24 (Magnaflow muffler) on mine. It doesn't drone and it's just loud enough for me. I've had louder systems on other trucks, but I always got tired of the noise eventually. But to each their own, any exhaust mod is an improvement over stock

·
Registered
225 Posts
magnaflow makes 2 mufflers now
18 inch is throaty,no drone in the cabin
14 inch has a throaty,louder more aggressive tone,and also no drone in the cabin
both these mufflers are made out of stainless steel,and they're the same price

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went with the one the KIDS did not like for being( not loud enough), BORLA-it sounds perfect even after all this time-09-..the drone on the highway is barely there, when it shifts into last gear ,you can still hear the radio or people talking...all stainless, and mine was 89.00. It has a really deep sound that a lot of people ask me what type it is, it is nice and loud when you hit it on the highway, also I pull a 34 foot TT, and with the pipes pointing at a large flat wall the whole time we are on the road, you dont want a loud muffler.
http://youtu.be/eY_JMqT2DBk

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had borla's on my ford cobra,they were awesome,but where I live here in florida I would have had to order them,but my magnaflow is quiet as I went with their 18 inch mufflers,and they are quiet.
just a slight rumble upon takeoff and it quiet's down,and I have the 5.9 litre V8.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A flowmaster will be much louder. I am running a Super 44 with the resonator removed, and my truck is pretty loud. Go to American Muffler on face book and he has a sound clip on there

·
Registered
386 Posts
STOCK

My wife had a stroke and needs to put on noise canceling ear protection when we are stuck close to a loud ILLEGAL exhaust.

Just another kind of pollution that can be prevented if people cared!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Wow, lot of different opinions on here. Might as well throw out mine. I love a good exhaust thread! For starters, as has been said, this topic is very subjective. It's like asking what the best pizza toppings are or who the best NFL team is. The best thing to do other than hearing them in person is to scour Youtube with a decent set of headphones that can get close to actually replicating the exhaust sound.

Hello, Hope you don't mind me tagging in to this question. What if one want Notch below scare the kids loud, With as little cab noise/drone as possible? What would be good system for that?
Hmmm, this isn't easy. I'm a Magnaflow fan so for one notch below scare the kids I would recommend a MF 14". Fairly loud but still not FM 40 or Super 44 loud. You will, however, get some freeway drone with this muffler. Not a great deal, but some. For no drone you need a MF 22" which is what I run. Louder than stock and sounds great to me but it's several notches below scare the kids. There are other good options out there (Borla, Corsa, Aero) but I only have direct experience with FM and MF.

magnaflow makes 2 mufflers now
18 inch is throaty,no drone in the cabin
14 inch has a throaty,louder more aggressive tone,and also no drone in the cabin
both these mufflers are made out of stainless steel,and they're the same price
MF actually makes several models of mufflers with varying case length and width but there are three that are the most commonly referred to and they are the 14", 18", and 22" mufflers with the 5"x11" body. Obviously, the shorter the muffler, the louder. I can say from direct experience that you will get some in-cabin drone with the 14" MF.

Any one ever heard of Mufflex Performance Exhaust. Im curious if they are any good seen some one youtube but not to sure if it is good quality.
Yes, Mufflex is top quality. Their kits use Magnaflow mufflers. Great if you want to do it yourself in your driveway. One note, if you are looking for a fairly quite, drone-free system, you may think the Mufflex 24 would be the quietest however from what I have read it is not. This kit uses a 24" MF muffler but it has a 5"x9" case and according to some, may have a very slight drone. According to what I have read, the MF 22" muffler with 5"x11" case is actually slightly quieter and I can personally say has no drone to speak of. You should be able to buy the universal muffler and have it properly welded in at a shop for about half the cost of the Mufflex kit. Just something to think about.

STOCK

My wife had a stroke and needs to put on noise canceling ear protection when we are stuck close to a loud ILLEGAL exhaust.

Just another kind of pollution that can be prevented if people cared!
I mean no disrespect and certainly sympathize with anyone's health conditions but I have to disagree with your statement as it is. Not all aftermarket exhausts are illegal. In fact, I would say the vast majority are not illegal. In addition, not all aftermarket exhausts are loud. I have an aftermarket exhaust that sounds good and is moderately louder than stock but would venture to say that most people would never give it a second look...or listen as the case may be.

Reactions: LowUFO

·
Registered
146 Posts
Go on YouTube and listen to clips of Ram exhaust, decide what sound you like and find that in stainless. Unless you do a full true dual long tube header exhaust with X pipe you won't notice much difference other than sound.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I mean no disrespect and certainly sympathize with anyone's health conditions but I have to disagree with your statement as it is. Not all aftermarket exhausts are illegal. In fact, I would say the vast majority are not illegal. In addition, not all aftermarket exhausts are loud. I have an aftermarket exhaust that sounds good and is moderately louder than stock but would venture to say that most people would never give it a second look...or listen as the case may be.
Thank you for your feelings. As I said, LOUD, mellow is a different sound. Some of the above posters were trying for loud as possible, no muffler.

Florida State Law states (not to quote) any exhaust that has a sound louder than original equipment is illegal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had it all. 14" maggy. Super 40 flows then 50hd flow then straights then and finally i got a borla xr1 15"muffler with a 6" pipe weldes inside so to make it a 9" xr1 and put 5"x18" chrome tips and best sound to my ears and most people next to me when they hear that HEMI take off

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Magnaflow 14 and it sounds nice. Nice deep rumble but doesn't really get louder on acceleration just stays at the rumble. Works for me though as i have the wife and 3 kids riding with me most of the time. I would much rather have no muffler at all though. Straights just sound so nice with the factory duals.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts