DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Autolite APP5325, double platinums. The parts place didn't have NGKs and these had a rebate. I have p0300, p0301, and p0306 on my dash and I think the spark plugs are the culprit.

What is everyone elses experiences with what plugs?
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi crew cab 4x4 short bed.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Champion makes an equal to the NGK, I run Champion in my 11 Durango R/T with out any issues.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
I have only ran the OEM Mopar branded NGKs, and have never had an issue. I would use nickels, so either NGKs or the Champions Burkdadhemi suggested. IIRC Champions used to be the OEM plug in the Hemi

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I buy my 2009 spark plugs from Rockauto
They list both NGK & Champion
The plugs used in 2009 by Chrysler are NGKs

NGK 92174 {#LZFR5C11} Standard
Twin Spark System; Gap 0.044"; Actual OE Part

CHAMPION 446 {#REC12MCC4} Copper Plus

Chrysler #SPLZFR5C11
SP is short for Spark Plug

2010 Ram 1500 5.7L

NGK 92174 {#LZFR5C11} Standard
Twin Spark System; Gap 0.044"; Actual OE Part
$3.05 each

CHAMPION 446 {#REC12MCC4} Copper Plus
2 PLUGS/CYLINDER; Gap .044; OE Type
$1.32 each

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it ok to run Platinum or iridium plugs in a 2013 5.7 Hemi, RAM 1500 4x4? Hate to have to change copper plugs every 30,000 mi.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Is it ok to run Platinum or iridium plugs in a 2013 5.7 Hemi, RAM 1500 4x4? Hate to have to change copper plugs every 30,000 mi.
Your truck probably has one o those two from the factory, no copper plugs in yours.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
bdemick
yours came with Copper plugs
the reason for that is because the platinum & iridium spark plugs tend to burn out the coil packs

then they must have made some changes because

Beginning with the 2014 Ram 5.7L
Original Equipment Is Iridium; with Dual Spark Plugs

referenced from Rockauto website

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Your truck probably has one o those two from the factory, no copper plugs in yours.
'That didn't start until 2014, he has nickels.

Pretty much every spark plug has a copper core, some have an iridium or platinum plating, and others are covered in nickel

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Mechanic just put iridium platinum in my 2013 Hemi. Do I need to be worried about my coil packs?
They work OK for some people, but if it starts running rough or giving you misfires you know where to look first

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mechanic just put iridium platinum in my 2013 Hemi. Do I need to be worried about my coil packs?
As Thunder said, just keep an eye on it. But there is no such thing as "iridium platinum," its either one or the other. I don't recall ever seeing a combination plug. Iridiums conduct a bit better than platinum, so iridiums might be OK. If he used platinums, I bet you'll get misfire codes (or some sort of check engine light) sooner or later.

With our trucks being so computerized these days, and components being so specific with tolerances, its best to stick with the same type of plugs it came with from the factory. Autolite, NGK, Champion, etc. all make decent copper plugs.

Also, as others have said, if you push platinums on a 2013 or earlier, you may have problems with your coil packs later too.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
990 Posts
OEM regardless of vehicle brand.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Ram used the Iridium Plugs & the different Coil Packs on the SSV vehicles first
It gave those Special Services Vehicles a 100,000 mile change interval
The following year, they installed them in the 2014 5.7L engines

NGK 92145 Laser Iridium
Dual Plug; Gap 0.044"; Actual OE Part

The coil was a
NGK 48716 {#U5121} NGK COP
Dual Plug; 1 Coil Fires 2 Plugs

other plugs are listed below
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2014,1500,5.7l+v8,3305957,ignition,spark+plug,7212

other coils
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2014,1500,5.7l+v8,3305957,ignition,ignition+coil,7060

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's plug change time on my '13 RAM and I noticed that RockAuto sells the NGK LZFR5C11 for $2.95 vs. $5.52 for the Mopar SPLZFR5C11. Anyone have any reason to use the Mopar over the NGK?

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
It's plug change time on my '13 RAM and I noticed that RockAuto sells the NGK LZFR5C11 for $2.95 vs. $5.52 for the Mopar SPLZFR5C11. Anyone have any reason to use the Mopar over the NGK?

Mopars are NGK so I'd say no

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mopars are NGK so I'd say no
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes you hear that parts are made to mfr. specs and the OE part is better than the store shelf stuff but in this case I think I'll save myself some $$$ :smileup:

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Mopar spark plugs just put SP in front of the actual plug number of the manufacturer

Like the original plugs are made by NGK
the number NGK uses is LZFR5C11
Mopar just adds on the SP to the LZFR5C11 = SPLZFR5C11

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did those iridium plugs work out fine, or did you have issues.......Just curious, as I am about to change mine.
I know that iridium plugs are mainly made for high performance and long lifetime (good for 100,000 miles), but I heard that some cars with originally installed plugs of other materials might encounter problems because they are "programmed" to run only on their original materials, but I don't really believe that......anyway, if possible, you can try the iridium plugs and if you faced problems, you would know where it came from. But keep in mind the condition and price of the plugs, as ones sold online might be cheaper than those sold face-to-face with the seller, and you may buy used ones from amazon or something if you just want to try them, like these:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts