DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm at the track right now with my 2016 Ram Hemi. Wondering what the best way to get it down the 1/4 is, I just Ran a 15.36 at 89mph 2wd launch, tc Orr and put the tranny into 8th, loaded it up to about 2k on the tree and only half throttled it out
to about 100 feet. The 60ft was horrible at a 2.4, just wondering if I should 4wd launch it hard or if anyone else has any tips to get it down the fastest.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, all done for the night. Best pass was a 15.055 at 90.1 MPH, 2.208 60ft launching in 2WD break torquing it right to where it wants to spin the tires with traction control off and tow haul mode on. I think the truck still has some left in it, earlier today I wasn't really considering going to the track and I filled the truck right up with 87, next time I go I'll have a quarter tank of 91.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Granted I haven't been to the drag strip in many years(my local dragstrip was converted into a subdivision about 5 years ago)but I always got my best 60' times by going on the last yellow and never red lighted in all the times I raced. Just a thought.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would start with not stalling the truck up on the line. it causes it to pull timing. Just roll as hard as your tires will let into the throttle right after the last yellow light. Also i would run the truck just in drive and get a time slip. Then start off in 2nd gear, when the truck shifts into 2nd go ahead and upshift to 8th(if you have an 8speed). hope this helps you on your next trip to the track.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would start with not stalling the truck up on the line. it causes it to pull timing. Just roll as hard as your tires will let into the throttle right after the last yellow light. Also i would run the truck just in drive and get a time slip. Then start off in 2nd gear, when the truck shifts into 2nd go ahead and upshift to 8th(if you have an 8speed). hope this helps you on your next trip to the track.
Thanks I'll give that a shot, last time I was out I got it down to a 15.003 turning T/C off and putting it in 5th. I'll try that starting in second and then upshifting to 8th next time, what I was doing before is select 5th so it wouldn't shift any higher than that and let it do its thing.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You wouldn't do substantial harm launching it a couple times in 4Auto with the T/C off. The nannies are too extreme from the factory. I think it'd squeeze a consistent tenth or two off the 60'.

This is assuming completely stock. In a truck, cheapest mod is removing as much weight as possible.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You wouldn't do substantial harm launching it a couple times in 4Auto with the T/C off. The nannies are too extreme from the factory. I think it'd squeeze a consistent tenth or two off the 60'.

This is assuming completely stock. In a truck, cheapest mod is removing as much weight as possible.
Did that the first time out, it actually went slower than it did in 2wd. The truck really needs a tune I think, you can feel all the torque management in it. It's crazy that it barely spins the tires matting it from a dead stop with tc off considering it's a Hemi 8 speed with 3.92s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ran my 17 at the track for the first time also a couple of weeks ago. Best run I could get was a 15.12 @91.87mph. Left at idle and let it shift it'self. I'm pretty happy with that considering it's a bone stock regular cab 4x4 running at elevation 2700ft corrected somewhere around 3500ft.

·
Super Moderator
34,309 Posts
Ran my 17 at the track for the first time also a couple of weeks ago. Best run I could get was a 15.12 @91.87mph. Left at idle and let it shift it'self. I'm pretty happy with that considering it's a bone stock regular cab 4x4 running at elevation 2700ft corrected somewhere around 3500ft.

Yeah I was gonna say if you weren't in Idaho you'd probably be in the 14s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts