DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, every other post I've found on this subject has devolved into an "You need to install LEDs/HIDs" chain, but I'm going to try anyway. :)

I have a 2014 with the Halogen Projector headlights and I want to upgrade the bulbs to a better/whiter halogen bulb. I don't want LEDs and I don't want HIDs, I just want better halogens. Any suggestions?

-K
Save
Save

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't know if 2014 projectors are the same as 2016's but I installed 9011's for all 4 halogen headlamps. You need to modify the tabs on 9011's to allow them to fit in the fixtures. All of my OEM lamps were 9005's.

The wattage goes from 60 to 65 but the lumens go from about 1850 to about 2350 per lamp. The penalty is bulb lifetime. 900 hours vs about 350.

The lamps are Philips but I bought Wagner from Rockauto. They were about 1/4 the price and were all marked Philips when I checked them.

Read this post.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=215104&highlight=Bulb+upgrade

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if 2014 projectors are the same as 2016's but I installed 9011's for all 4 halogen headlamps. You need to modify the tabs on 9011's to allow them to fit in the fixtures. All of my OEM lamps were 9005's.
I just got my truck and I haven't had it apart yet, but according to XeonDepot's web site I should have 9012s for the low beams and 9005s for the high beams from OEM. They list all 9005's for the 2016, so that jives with yours. Replacements for the 9012s seem to be the hard part to find and, of course, it's the lowbeams that I'm most interested in upgrading. XD has a couple of replacements, but they both appear to be blue tint which is not what I want.

I've read the thread you mentioned already, but the OP had Quad headlights, not Projector so his lowbeams were not 9012s like mine. He had H11's for his lowbeams.

Thanks for the reminder abut RockAuto though, I had overlooked them as a source for upgraded bulbs. They have a Phillips CrystalVision Ultra 9012 listed that looks like it might be worth a try.

-K

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Here is a good how too for the 9011 swap on the projector style lights. I haven't done this yet but I do plan too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s71hFFCpe40

9011's willwork on the lowbeam for the 2016+ but for the 2013-2015 years the 9012's are as good as it gets. There is not much difference between the 9012/9011 for lumens. New bulbs can make an improvement still.
However, on all years you can replace the 9005's with 9011's which is a massive improvement.

FXR swap is your friend if you want good low beams ;)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
PIAA or Sylvania SilverStar Ultra are about the best halogens you can get out there.

But they don't come close to a good set of HIDs....just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
PIAA or Sylvania SilverStar Ultra are about the best halogens you can get out there.

But they don't come close to a good set of HIDs....just sayin'...
HID in the factory projector is not so bad as long as you aim them properly and use a good quality re-base. But it doesn't come close to a true projector swap like the FXR. Just saying ;)

I actually sold my 2013+ sport lights in favor of my Mini D2s 3 swap. Night and day difference. Sooooooooo much better than the sports with HID's its not even funny haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts