DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I installed the RCX 3" kit with control arms and N3 rear shocks. This kit reuses the front shock and adds a preload spacer and 1" spacer on top to achieve the 3" of lift in the front. The ride is harsh, to say the least. I knew it would not be as nice as factory, but didn't expect it to be like it is either. The N3 shocks are nice, very beefy but they don't have a decent rebound to them, makes the rear end skate around on certain types of bumps.

I am looking to change out the rear shocks and the front shocks. Don't care if I lose a little height, plenty of room for the 33x12.5x20 General ATX's. I just want a plush and good handling ride without spending $2.5K over at Carli!

Any suggestions?

Truck is a 2016 5.7 crew cab Sport with the short bed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The 6112/5160 combo will be a lot better than what you have now. If you want to step it up a litte higher end for a couple of hundred more you can get an entry level performance suspension. The Icon 2.5 CO's and the Icon rear 2.0's shocks can be revalve/rebuild by most tuner shops or by yourself. With the combo you posted Bilstein can rebuild the fronts, but the 5160's are throw away shocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RSMRAM, I was not aware of Icon at all. So regarding ride quality/handling, is that Icon setup going be as nice as the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks RSMRAM, I was not aware of Icon at all. So regarding ride quality/handling, is that Icon setup going be as nice as the Bilsteins?
The Icon setup will be nicer. Icon do use 2.5 performance coilovers for the front so you'll get much better bashing performance out of them. for the back you can get reservoirs even with their Icon 2.0 shocks, their Stage 1 kit is the most basic one so that makes their price most attractive to some. but you can add to it to it depending on your needs. Icon 2.0 + res for the rear will be Icon# 216524R

If you're riding on the street you may not notice a lot of differences between the 6112/5160 setup and Icon Stage 1 in the ride quality department. Both will drive a lot better than any of the conventional strut/shocks you can get: 5100's, Rancho, Eibach etc. Where the Icon setup will make more of a difference compared to the 6112's will be on the dirt. If you wanted to double that performance, Kings 2.5 can't be beaten or Fox 2.5 or Radflo 2.5, all performance 2.5 body Coilovers and shocks, and all come with reservoirs, (You can't add reservoirs to the Icon 2.5 CO's, only to their rear shocks, i believe this is a mistake Icon did with the RAM 1500 application but only they know why they don't offer RES for their front 2.5 CO's) and all have the option to adjust your valving on the fly to further adjust ride comfort and performance( typically 12-15% up/down). Everyone one of these options is more money but it's what it's when you want performance/reliability to bash your setup on the dirt. the difference in quality/performance of 2.5 body shocks/Coilvers etc is simply day and night compared to standard shocks and they have a more expensive price for that reason, mostly bigger shock body to hold more oil, bigger shafts, bigger pistons, bigger valves, shocks valved to hold more abuse etc among other reasons.

In that similar price of Icon stage 1 and 6112 you also have Falcon performance leveling and Fox 2.0. The Icons will be the best option in that price range if you're looking for offroad performance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate your input. I'm not really concerned about off road capability as much as I am ride comfort and handling on the road. I'm also not really concerned about the units ability to be serviced down the road, I'm sure if you are a heavy off road user in the desert or someplace like that, having that ability is great, but honestly, I can't see myself ever needing to rebuild the shocks. So for those reasons, the Bilstein setup seems very attractive to me for my use case and ROI. lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
In that case you might benefit from the 6112/5160 as you have explained.
Something else you might be interesed, nice comfort onroad without being race shocks.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'm confused here. You have a 4wd truck, you added lift to it and big ole hoonkin tires. Now your worried about ride? Stiffer springs and stuff to boost rate make them harsh. Shocks have some results in ride, and the big tires have a stiff sidewall so lower flex. Unless you drop air pressure. I think your pushing an up hill battle trying to make it ride like a comfy car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm confused here. You have a 4wd truck, you added lift to it and big ole hoonkin tires. Now your worried about ride? Stiffer springs and stuff to boost rate make them harsh. Shocks have some results in ride, and the big tires have a stiff sidewall so lower flex. Unless you drop air pressure. I think your pushing an up hill battle trying to make it ride like a comfy car.
Not sure what is confusing. As I originally stated, I expected the ride characteristics to change, but this RCX kit is a lot more rough ride than even I expected. I went cheap and I got predictable results. I am not new to lifted trucks, but I am new to lifted trucks with coil overs in the front and coil springs in the rear. So, since I asked here, now I know I can have my small lift, my relatively small tires (they are only 33's, the truck came with 33" tall tires from the factory) and a much better ride than this RCX kit is giving me, but I need to spend more money, which is what I should have done to begin with..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In that case you might benefit from the 6112/5160 as you have explained.
Something else you might be interesed, nice comfort onroad without being race shocks.
Once again, thank you. I am now debating which direction to head with this, but yesterday the mission became a bit more critical. During an oil change I noted my driver side front shock has started to leak. Probably damaged an o-ring during the change over to the RCX kit. So, I am going to need to make up my mind fairly soon, lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the Bilstein 6112/5160 kit for sub-$1K so I went with that one. It was a toss up between that and the Icon Stage 1 kit, but the sub-$1K price for the Bilstein kit pushed it over the top for me. Once I get the kit installed I will post an update about the ride quality and the kit impressions overall.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You’ll be happy with that setup. Enjoy.

Reactions: Davcruz

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally installed the Bilstien 6112/5160 combo on my truck this weekend. I have very few miles on it thus far, but I can feel the difference in this suspension just pulling out of my driveway! I am also very impressed with the quality of the components in the kit. Everything seems very well made and engineered.

As I get some more miles on the truck, I will update here with my impressions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, have several hundred miles of various driving on the new suspension and I have to say, it is night and day difference from the RCX kit, as it should be, I mean this kit cost me nearly 75% more than the RCX 3" kit. Also, I kept the RCX UCA's and the 1" rear coil spacers, so it was not a complete waste of money buying the RCX kit.

But wow am I impressed with the on-road ride/handling from the Bilsteins. I think I can genuinely say it is better than stock and I have 2.8" of lift in the front, 1" in the rear and just an ever so slight forward rake, which I prefer over dead level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So if I get this kit and put the front shocks to #9 setting, the rear won’t need to be raised? You said you raised up the rear, I was thinking of doing so with the bilstein B12 1” coil in the rear, but I don’t want any rake I want it to be level, so I should just keep it as is? Anyone know?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts