DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2012 Cummins from Dave Smith and had a great experience. However, I recently was trying to purchase a 2015 eco-diesel from them and have had a horrible experience. I was asked to put down a $500 deposit over the phone, and did so on the verbal agreement that a contract would be sent to me via overnight mail. The contract never arrived after a week of waiting.

The salesman eventually said he couldn't get it to me in time for my departure date (1,000 mile one-way drive). I then purchased a truck locally, saved over $1,000, but now they want to keep my $500 deposit. I was basically told to F-off by the salesman. To this date, I have never received the contract that he promised twice to overnight to me. Just a warning to others, be careful who you deal with there. Like I said, my first experience there was awesome. Good and bad everywhere I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to Dave Smith's as it is not that far from me. I was treated very well. The dealership takes up most of the town with vehicles stored at lots all over the place. They had over 300 new 1500's to choose from.

While I got a better deal at another dealership I have to say the salesman knew his trucks and took his time with us.

I

·
0 Posts
I bought my Ram 1500 from Dave Smith 10/12/15. They gave me a fair price for my trade in. I did the on line deposit. We looked at 4 different trucks and were treated very well. Got a better price there than at the dealers in Southern Idaho.My salesman stated they would pay back the $500 deposit on the spot if needed. If I wasn't able to find a truck or deal that worked for me they would credit back my deposit on the spot. I would have the credit card slip and it would be credited back to my card in 7 to 10 days.
I found my truck and we closed the deal. I was treated well. Sorry yours went bad.....people are different and thing can go bad in a hurry.
idaho181

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought my truck from Dave Smith. (Notice first post!) The sales experience was good, but I did get irritated by the financial guy pushing the extended warranty programs after I told him no.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting post Catmando. I just recently had a very similar experience at Dave Smith. I consider myself a fairly savvy numbers guy, having been a business guy for the last 25 years and having bought several new vehicles and homes. Not my first rodeo.

Had a good initial experience over the phone which started mid afternoon and several phone calls later up until around 9pm PST, when we tentatively agreed to a deal. I agreed to put down a $500 deposit - but specifically asked for an itemized line list of the deal and what exactly would be included. Next day, came and went, nothing, meanwhile, I was running numbers and things were not adding up. Finally after several phone calls on day 3, I got the deal emailed over. They had pitched me on several thousand dollars of "rebates" to get the numbers to work.

When I questioned their "rebates" and why they were missing, I was told they had been added to my trade. If they had made me proud with the offer on my trade, that would have been one thing, but they were definitely on the low end.

They went silent for about a week and a half when their Sales Manager finally called to find out why I hadn't been over to pick up the truck. I voiced my displeasure and he basically begin to berate me over the phone telling me if he chose to refund my deposit it would be because he was feeling generous, that in no way was he required to do so. Visa ended up saying otherwise and I was able to recoup my full deposit.

I agree, Buyer Beware!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dave Smith Not the deal it seems.

I also had a disappointing experience with Dave Smith. Personable salesperson who turned out not to be very truthful and the price was not competitive. Seems they are living on an old reputation. They order loaded up trucks to raise the price and then charge $350 for mandatory window tinting and dealer prep fee. If you want anything extra they are quick to refer you to their accessory department that makes money on after market parts like running boards and 5th wheel sockets and hitches. I decided to order a truck from the factory so it would be just what I wanted. Was told would not get the current rebate and would be taking a gamble on whatever rebate might be available when the truck arrived. Not true. Said the current rebate ended the next Monday - in the middle of the month. Also not true. Told factory delivery would take 12-13 weeks. Not true. Really pushing to sell something already on their lot. Played games with the pricing but the final deal was just not competitive. Pretended not to know what TrueCar was. Ended up buying at True Car price from local dealer. Factory order that came in 8 weeks with rebate in place at time of order and price that was considerably lower than Dave Smith. And I didn't have to pay to fly to Idaho and have long drive home. Another case of "Buyer Beware" and not just trusting someone to give you a good deal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hope this gets resolved, I can't stand stuff like this, I had a problem like this once, I went to the place, had a talk, and was refunded. Don't let up, hope you used the credit card and can clear it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased my 2012 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW in 2012 from Dave Smith. Also put down the $500 deposit. Absolutely, positively, the best auto buying experience that I have ever had! Less than 2 hours at the dealership, including the finance department, the service department, the accessories department, and the test drive!
I recommend Dave Smith Motors to every one I know that is looking for a new truck. We drove 1300 miles and saved $13,000 off the list price!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dave Smith worst experience ever. Salesman kept saying that I could never get the deal I was asking for. Went south to Dennis Dillon and did even better then I hoped on an ordered truck. Dave Smith did not even want to order a truck for me. Numbers were always changing and did not like the idea of a deposit be for I see the numbers in in my hand. Dillon did everything I asked and then some. Check them out.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
You all should know that there is a website where dealerships are Rated
IT is called DealerRater

Here is Dave Smith's rating :smiledown:

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Dave-Smith-Motors-Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-review-15924/,

after looking at the different reports, i looked again at the dates of the reports
You will notice that back in 2014, there are a lot of 5 star ratings, then more recently, the ratings have dropped

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
They still sound better than Don Weirs Reno Dodge in Reno, NV. They make owning a Ram worse then it has to be. If the salespeople aren't bad enough, the service department is downright horrible!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Also might want to put these complaints on Yelp. I use them to review places before I do business with them. I also use the BBB to see if they are on there and what rating they have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called them on WED. afternoon looking for a Late model 3500 diesel, Aisin Trans. I talked to Drew and he worked on it. He returned my call 9am on Thurs. with a news of no used, but 17 new with what I wanted...$55,5K out the door. I called back at noon gave a deposit. Art called at 4pm said that Drew messed up the numbers and it would be $58,7K. I told him I had a 3200 problem with that, and I would need to think on it overnight. Drew called me at 9am on Fri. admitting to messing the numbers and it would be $59,2K, I mentioned that Art had called and said it would be 58,7. Drew quickly agreed to that number. I was feeling fleeced. I called at Noon and said NO DEAL and was told I would receive my deposit back. Sales mgr called at 2 and referred to the Debacle that they had created. He told me that he personally did the numbers and the price was $59,9K. I laughed at him so no thanks, I had already requested a return of my money. He went on to Rip his crew over the phone to me. I would never deal with a company that the boss rips employees to customer. Keep that crap internal. I did receive my deposit back. I did use the multitude of numbers to purchase elsewhere that they were wonderful to work with.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dennis Dillion and Dave Smith usually do not refund deposits, so why would anyone send a deposit without EVERYTHING IN WRITING first, basic business sense. After all you're dealing with car salesmen. Usually that deposit is for a particular vehicle so if you find a better deal on their lot you will probably lose the deposit on the first vehicle, that's all in writing. Who trusts a voice on the phone? Get it in writing, but a deposit to those two dealerships is SPENT money never to be seen again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dennis Dillion and Dave Smith usually do not refund deposits, so why would anyone send a deposit without EVERYTHING IN WRITING first, basic business sense. After all you're dealing with car salesmen. Usually that deposit is for a particular vehicle so if you find a better deal on their lot you will probably lose the deposit on the first vehicle, that's all in writing. Who trusts a voice on the phone? Get it in writing, but a deposit to those two dealerships is SPENT money never to be seen again.
I won't disagree with the statement on deposits but he got his back.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If he got his deposit back he was lucky, they don't give it back especially at Dennis Dillion. DD makes it very clear it is non refundable and applies to a single vehicle only, not transferable to another vehicle on the lot. With Dave Smith & Dennis Dillion being self proclaimed "wholesale" pricing dealers, that's one of their policies.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I factory ordered my 2016 ram 1500 Laramie quad cab with no deposit from Gauthier Chrysler in Winnipeg Manitoba awesome discount 27% including incentives. awesome service department as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts