DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with these tires? Was told by 4Wheelparts they're having issues with 20 inch ko2s and no help from BFG.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would not believe anything you hear from 4wheel parts, they talked me into buying an all inclusive tire warranty when I bought set and wasn't even a year and had a nail puncture. Long story short they claim their warranty doesn't cover punctures only total loss which I was told by the salesman that any puncture to total loss was covered. I ended up paying out of pocket to fix the tire and all they said after being questioned after 4 months was I should have sent a photo to them so they could decide if they would cover it . I will never by another thing from them again .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the issues are?????
Out of round not covered by warranty returned 3 out of 4 times problems have only occurred for about 18 months with 20 inch tires not other sizes. I had 2 sets on a Toyota previously and really liked their performance.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Quality spill, with so many better or similar options at less of a price available in the tire market I’d stay away. Your fathers and grandfathers from the 80s/90s are the only ones who desire BFG tread. Are they ok, sure but Nitto/Toyo are the pinnacle of the rubber industry in AT/MT applications.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Worst tires I've ever put on my truck ! Had them roadforce balanced 3 times but still shook, couldn't keep them balanced. Put on some nitto's and solved the problem. Complete junk tires

·
Registered
83 Posts
My tire supplier says the same. I went with General Grabber ATX. No. 1 rated on TireRack. So far, they're everything the reviewers said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quality spill, with so many better or similar options at less of a price available in the tire market I’d stay away. Your fathers and grandfathers from the 80s/90s are the only ones who desire BFG tread. Are they ok, sure but Nitto/Toyo are the pinnacle of the rubber industry in AT/MT applications.
Sorry but no Jap tires for me! Right now the highest rated AT tire our there on Tire Rack is the General Grabber AT/X and that's what I plan on putting on my 2017 Big Horn before the snow flies.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had General Grabber ATX put on last month. They are outstanding, as per TireRack Reviewers. Less expensive than BFG KO2 as well.
KO2 is an ancient tread pattern - howls like a banshee, wears out quickly. Heck, I put them on my folks car in the winter in the 1970's!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had General Grabber ATX put on last month. They are outstanding, as per TireRack Reviewers. Less expensive than BFG KO2 as well.
KO2 is an ancient tread pattern - howls like a banshee, wears out quickly. Heck, I put them on my folks car in the winter in the 1970's!
How long has it been since you've run the ko2's? I agree that the first gen version of that tire was over-rated, but the tire they sell now is a redesigned version of that tire. I have first-hand experience with them, and they are not what you described at all. I also have experience with the first gen version of the tire, and your description is pretty spot-on for them. But the current generation are no louder than the stock Toyo Open Country AT II's my Rebel came with, and they appear to be wearing well after more than a year of use. Plus, they work much better in the snow than the Toyo's did too. Having said that, I like the price of the Generals a lot better, and am not against giving them a try. I just wanted to stick up for the ko2's since everyone is bashing on them. They have been working great for me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
8.7 vs 9.1 overall rating. That's not much of a difference. Plus, the ko2's have almost 500 reviews, while the Grabbers have 60. The snow rating is better on the ko2's as well. The tread pattern is not the same as it used to be either. It's similar, but so is the tread pattern on the Grabbers. As I said before, I'm interested in the Grabbers. But besides the price difference, I don't see why you're bagging on the ko2's. Your experience with them is dated at best. Lots of people really like them.

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
I do a lot of driving on curving secondary roads in my business
The tires that come on the Rams are great, as long as you don't try to hold the speed limit on curvy roads when it is raining.
I got rid of the stock tires & use only Michelins & the extra price is worth every cent

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
You must be confusing the KO’s with the KO2’s. Though the old KOs didn’t wear down quickly, and the new KO2’s are not known for that either unless you run them on the HD trucks that require 65 psi and 80 psi to keep the low pressure light happy. In which case BFG came up with the DT thread for those cases.

I’m on my 5th set of KO2’s, 37x12.5x17 this time 1st time on this truck. Smooth as all the others, and they’re quiet. I expect to hear them by 30-40k miles. They’re great in snow, great in rocks, sand, dirt, rain , etc and they’re good in the MPG department as well compared to other AT’s.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had 35-12.50-20 KO2s on my 2014. Been using BFG ATs on my work trucks since they came out in the later 70s . The tread pattern has been changed over the years as has the entire design of the tire many times hence the latest version the KO2. I did have a vibration with this set on my 2014 that I could not get rid of. Many places balanced them and always was told they were fine. I had 35" KO2s on my 2012 Jeep wrangler and they were as smooth as glass on the highway and quiet as hell. I eventually sold the KO2s on my Ram and replaced them with Nitto Terra grapplers a 1/2" shorter and an inch narrower but I think what made the difference was the fact that each tire was 20lbs lighter. I think the weight of the KO2 brought out something in the truck that caused a vibration at the same frequency as a tire balance issue. Only thing I did not change that rotated at the same speed as a tire was the left and right intermediate shafts in the front diff.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I ran the KO2's on my truck until I wore them out. They were great tires, never had a problem with them. When it was time for new tires the size I wanted wasn't available so I went with Nitto Ridge Grapplers instead. They seem to performance similar except in snow. That's where the KO2's out perform the Nittos. I will probably go back to the KO2's after I wear out the Nittos. I noticed when looking for tires the 4wheel parts was the most expensive place. Try checking with a tire store over them. It's nice to browse the store, but I have yet to buy anything from them since their prices seem a little high. I've heard sales staff advising someone else on parts and I strongly disagree with the recommendation. I wouldn't trust their staffs opinions on parts and equipment.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
KO2s didn't come out until late 2014 guys, they are not the same as the KOs.

I just put my second set of KO2s on my Ram back in February. I like that the stock size for our Rams is load range D which IMHO is about perfect for a half ton truck. I got 61,000 miles out of my first set and have been very pleased with their traction in all conditions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts