DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much 0 guage wire are people using to do the Big 3 upgrade? I'm planning on ordering my wore from knukconceptz.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
good choice with Knu wiring. I love their stuff!

If i remember right I used about 8ft.

Ill let you in on a little secret though. Everyone says run one off of the engine to the battery ground.... that one is just about pointless. The engine is not part of the charging system and therefore while the engine to ground does yield little gains, its almost not worth the effort.

Run alt to battery, battery to stock ground and alt case to battery ground. Its amazing the difference people have seen stable voltage wise over on the audio forums from that. Plus Matt from Mechman Alternators recommends doing it this way as well and I would assume one of the head honchos in one of the largest and most well thought of H/O alt companies would know what he is talking about. Ill get pics in a few hours of my wiring once the sun comes up

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be awesome. I ordered 15 feet lol. I got all knu wiring for my set up so far. I'm going in tomorrow for the install.

Equipment:
Stock 730n
JL Cleansweep
Ported fox box
2 alpine type R 12's
Alpine PDX-M12
Knu 4 gauge wiring

Well see how it sounds lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
please post pics as i want to do this also. adding a second amp soon and of course eventually a bigger alternator but would like to start here.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Alt + to battery

Alt case to battery

battery - to ground

Mechman Alt

This is done a lot easier with 2/0 ring terminals as well. Just fill em with melted solder and go. You can use 1/0 terminals but its usually harder to get the wire into them cleanly, and when you have a terminal that is scolding hot filled with molten solder you dont really have much room for error

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Also dont forget you ADD the 1/0 wire for the Big 3 you do not replace the stock wiring. Its to create additional low resistance paths for your charging system.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ok I'm gonna be a pain again. Where on the block to where on the frame. Please and thanks. You 2 are always at the forefront of electrical help and audio. Which I need a lot of

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Any bolt will work. as long as its to a metal thing (duh!) lol

It is better to ground things at the battery, but the battery grounds itself to the fender just behind the battery. (look at my pictures)

I cant stress this enough when people are doing these mods. YOU ARE NOT REPLACING WIRE YOU ARE ADDING ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL PATHS.

I just think its important everyone knows that haha

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
any more or different input for a 2nd gen 2001 ram sport? I have subs that make my headlights dim already. And im getting LEDs and projector headlights, so i think the big three might be a great idea. haha thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When doing this do we need to run a power wire to the fuse block?

Sorry to bring up old thread, but good information?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks! Waiting on some heat shrink from parts express then i can start the big 3 upgrade. And the better solder, I am having no luck with 'electric solder' from home depot. Not melting what so ever unless i put it right on the soldering iron.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
If you're going to solder, then I'd pick up solder slugs from somewhere like Acklands. Depending on the cable gauge you're using you'll actually need to put the connector into a vice and heat the connector with a pencil torch to get it hot enough to melt the solder then insert the cable into it and then it'll wick into the cable. I personally just ordered a 10ton hydraulic crimper off Amazon and it worked like a charm, and a crimped connection is a better mechanical connection compared to a solder connection which is better for high vibration areas, like a vehicle.

Are you using a soldering iron or a soldering gun? An iron will rarely make enough heat with a larger gauge cable to get the solder to wick into the parts and you'll only have a cold solder joint which is weak, brittle, and poorly conducts electricity.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I did buy a torch but i did crimp one connection and put solder on the top side to try and have 'best of both worlds' but not sure how effective it is. The solder i have i am not a fan of and waiting from some of the Cardas Quad-Eutectic solder i bought to get here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts