DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I gather the two obvious things are cloth vs leather seats as well as the Larame has the spray in bed liner.
The seats are also heated and ventilated.

The cost seems about the same or slightly more than the Big Horn.

For me I have been searching for a truck with a bench seat with power. It seems the Laramie gives it to me.

What else is different between the Big Horn and Laramie and why would you choose one over the other?

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are a significant number of ‘little differences’ between the models, and Ram hasn’t done a great job of documenting them. Early on in the press kits there were some huge tables with info about what was included where. Mechanically all the trucks are essentially identical, it is the creature comforts that ratchet up between models.

There are minor but notable differences that you wouldn’t expect that are not detailed out - things like the interior ambient / glove box lights, quality of materials, dash coverings, interior trim, interior storage separators, wheels available, etc, etc. For instance, I built a $60k Laramie because I didn’t want the wood grain nonsense in a higher model truck - but a cheaper limited would have had leather-wrapped center console trim whereas I get plastic. You really ought to spend some seat time in the models side by side.

BTW my Laramie does not have a spray in liner. It was a $700 option which included the rails and divider which I did not want, so I didn’t get that package.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The Big Horn is a mid level trim, the Laramie used to be the top level but has been surpasses by the Limited and Longhorn which are based off of it

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have Laramie level 1 equipment package which includes rear reclining seats. I don't think that feature is available in Bighorn equipment packages. Also fender flares on the Laramie.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
Reactions: Timeless

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think it's strange that when you "upgrade" from the Big Horn to the Laramie, several items that were standard on the Big Horn become options that cost extra. Worked out better for me to get the Big Horn with the options I wanted. Going to get the Katzkin leather interior now that I have the truck.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
When i ordered my 2016 Ram
I picked the Bighorn SLT
I think it came with just about everything that you could get on the Laramie + some

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it's strange that when you "upgrade" from the Big Horn to the Laramie, several items that were standard on the Big Horn become options that cost extra. Worked out better for me to get the Big Horn with the options I wanted. Going to get the Katzkin leather interior now that I have the truck.
I went the same route. Got the Big Horn with just about everything I want. Plan on doing some Katzkin leather at well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much are the Katzkin leather seats for a Big Horn?
Are you replacing all seats or just the driver seat?

Can you get the leather on the Bench seat?

Also, if you opt for the Laramie with heating and cooling seats, could you still do the Katzkin leather? Just wondering as I liked the leather but not with the suede inserts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The leather at the shop here wants $1200 installed for front and rear. I have bucket seats, but I think Katzkin has kits for all types of seats, including heated and cooled.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It depends on the options you want as well. The Laramie comes with a lot of things standard like the LED Lights and the Alpine Radio where you have to add those to a big horn. I just priced a well optioned Big Horn sport and a lower level Larmie sport both were right around $53,000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Laramie

I purchased a Big Horn/Lone star, a day later I returned to the dealer to upgrade to a Laramie. AutoNation 7 day trade policy.

Big Horn MSRP was 44,620
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RREFT5KN548942

Laramie MSRP was 45,035
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RREJT1KN502838

$415 Dollar price difference was a no brainer for me. Went with the Laramie.
and now I can seat 6 instead of 5.

Laramie standard features. Big horn standard features
7" color LCD in instrument panel / 3" Mono chrome
10 Speaker Alpine stereo with Sub / 6 speaker no sub
Heated and ventilated leather seats. / cloth seats
Proximity Key no need to use key fob to unlock and lock doors. / have to use key fob to unlock and lock doors.
Dual zone heating and cooling / 1 control for both sides
Nicer dash and door panel finishes.
electric folding mirrors
Chrome cap on outside mirrors
Remote start
fender well moldings
LED Headlights that light up corners when turning / Halogen Headlights (there is a HUGE difference )
Ambient lighting in foot wells front and Back
interior lights are LED /Halogen in big horn
LARAMIE Badge

I'm sure there is more but these are the things I can think of off the top of my head.

I paid 500 dollars cash to trade up to the Laramie. Best decision ever.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I purchased a Big Horn/Lone star, a day later I returned to the dealer to upgrade to a Laramie. AutoNation 7 day trade policy.

Big Horn MSRP was 44,620
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RREFT5KN548942

Laramie MSRP was 45,035
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RREJT1KN502838

$415 Dollar price difference was a no brainer for me. Went with the Laramie.
and now I can seat 6 instead of 5.

Laramie standard features. Big horn standard features
7" color LCD in instrument panel / 3" Mono chrome
10 Speaker Alpine stereo with Sub / 6 speaker no sub
Heated and ventilated leather seats. / cloth seats
Proximity Key no need to use key fob to unlock and lock doors. / have to use key fob to unlock and lock doors.
Dual zone heating and cooling / 1 control for both sides
Nicer dash and door panel finishes.
electric folding mirrors
Chrome cap on outside mirrors
Remote start
fender well moldings
LED Headlights that light up corners when turning / Halogen Headlights (there is a HUGE difference )
Ambient lighting in foot wells front and Back
interior lights are LED /Halogen in big horn
LARAMIE Badge

I'm sure there is more but these are the things I can think of off the top of my head.

I paid 500 dollars cash to trade up to the Laramie. Best decision ever.
That is amazing you were allowed to do that.
Any other dealer would have been at least $5K, not $500.
What was the actual out the door price?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Laramie

MSRP 45,035

Negotiated to 38035 + taxes and fees
total out the door financed was 40,246.50

For a Laramie with Hemi and no options. Did I get an OK deal?

One thing I do regret not having in the Laramie is the 3.92 gear it made a big difference as far as acceleration. I could really tell the difference because I had driven the 3.92 for a day and then switched to the 3.21

Also wish I had reclining rear seats

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Although no options the Laramie has a number of standard upgrades over the Big Horn.
$40K OTD for a Laramie seems like a very good price especially since this new model is heavily discounted.
Congrats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
purchased a Big Horn/Lone star, a day later I returned to the dealer to upgrade to a Laramie. AutoNation 7 day trade policy.
Big Horn MSRP was 44,620

Ok stop teasing me lol! What dealership did you find that deal at? ...pretty please

1 - 20 of 24 Posts