DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to apologize if this is a long post. Bought a 2012 Ram Outdoorsman on 9 Dec. First day I had it, the front end was pulling to the right. Service manager said "oh it's normal for Dodge trucks for the 1st 1,000 miles and after that the suspension system will be broke in and it won't do that anymore. YEA like I just got off the turnip truck. So to please them I drove it 1256 miles. They said they would check it to ensure it was okay. Four hours later they said they check the alignment - it was fine. BUT when asked for the read-out paperwork they said "we don't keep stuff like that." Took it to a well known auto place. Cost me $54.95 to have the front end lined up. NO, they did not pay me for that.

Then I drove the truck 81 mph after a Ford truck cut me off. The re-set button to put it back to zero would not work. Had it in three times for that. Then the Sirus radio system would just stop playing. Then the phone system became messed up. Dropped calls, couldn't make any calls, etc. Was told no mechanic could figure it out.

Three times, as I was merging into traffic the truck just automatically slowed down. Put the gas pedal to the floor but nothing. Engine was running but again, no power. This happened three times. The 4th time I was driving on our by-pass, dark night, raining, doing 58 mph. Had a 18 wheel truck right on my bumper and three cars behind him. Same thing - lost all power (engine still running - gas pedal to the floor) Jack brakes from the truck, horn blarring - and as I was waiting for the crash this Lemon went to full power. That did it. Took it back to the dealer and told them they would buy it back NOW. The GM agreed. This was a Black Ram truck.

The new one I just got three weeks ago is a Cherry red. Same truck. They made a dealer trade. It had six miles on it but somebody drove it 87 mph. Again, I could not re-set the speed back to zero. Then the same exact problems as I outlined above except no stalling until four days ago.

NO mechanic could figure out the GARMIN system nor could they even find the serial # of this unit. I had to show them how to get it. They had it four hours and then finally told me their computer they had hooked up to the Garmin system was broke and couldn't get a new part. This was about a week and a half ago. Finally got their computer working. Hooked it up and told me there was no new software to download so they had to order a new unit. I get a call today telling me to bring the truck in so they could get the GARMIN I.D. # (again). Asked them where my new unit was. Service Mgr. said the mechanic forgot to get the I.D. # and they would order it tomorrow.

Has anybody had any of these %*^() problems with this type of truck?

Ser/dept. doesn't have a clue what's going on. I told them to call Garmin. They told me to call because the unit was not part of the Dodge warranty. After my "fit" they agreed it was. But I still had to make the call. Garmin said "hey it's Dodge's problem because it's in a Dodge truck." Dodge said it was Garmin's problem.

As I said, this truck stalled on me for just a few seconds. They couldn't figure out why it happened with the first truck, can't figure out why it happening now!!! Gas mileage is suppose to be 13 in town, 19 hwy. I see Dodge is now stating 20 mpg on the highway. I'm lucky to get 10 mpg in town and maybe 15 on the highway. Same thing with the first truck.

I'm hoping that this new truck will continue to stall until somebody rear ends me. Hate to see an innocent person get in a wreck because of a problem caused by Dodge but if this is going to make somebody stand up and notice there is a problem then so be it. I absolutely will not allow my wife or anybody else to ride in this truck in case I do get rear ended.

The radio in the new truck, while off, will all of a sudden have a computer voice come on and say "The number you've called is not a valid number, please call directory assistance if you feel this is incorrect." THE RADIO WAS OFF!!!! Three times this has happened. Again, dropped phone calls, music stops playing, etc.

I've always been a Chevy man and traded in a 2008 Chevy Diesel for these two pieces of junk. I absolutely love the way the Ram truck looks, drives, the interior - everything about it except these on going problems.

NO help in calling Dodge for help. Won't give me the ph. # for the District Rep. I've filed "another" claim/report on the new one and all I got was a claim #. Yet Dodge is calling me every day, asking me WHEN "I'm" going to get the truck fixed. ME?? The stupid thing is under warranty.

Apologize for my rambling but again, I need to know if ANYBODY has had these problems or even one or two of them.

Oh, both sides of the bed rails where you can store equipment - those lids won't seal tight. Again, was told there was nothing to do about it. I took it to a auto body shop. Was told they could "try" to fix them but doubted if they could get them both tight. Told the ser/dept mgr about this and if he authorized it, it would cost the dealership a little over $600.00. Of course he didn't authorize it and I'll be ^%$#& if I'm going to pay for it.

I detail my own vehicles. When I detailed this new one, there was a small glob of red paint directly in the center of the hood, under the clear coat - up front. Got to looking at the hood with detailing lights. Can see portions where there is no pearl showing. Starting to wonder if it may have been in a small wreck. Dealer refuses to even consider checking with the dealer where they got this truck to ask if it has been in a wreck and they won't give me that dealers dealership name.

The first truck - had a rubber bed liner put in it. The rubber tail gate cover is suppose to be screwed down. Got the truck back. I literally picked four screws out with two fingers. Had them rip that off and take the bed liner out. Asked what they were going to do about the 15 screw holes in the tail gate. They said "hey, you ordered it, it's your problem."

I take it to Line-X and paid $595.00 to get the bed and tail gate covered.
Of course when they bought this truck back, I didn't get paid any money for that nor the nerf bars or bug guard and window covers plus the mud flaps.

I just want a Ram truck so I can immediately start making ALL the mods I had planned to put on it. New exhaust, lift kit, inside, under dash lights, power chip, etc. But right now I'm not going to do a thing to it because I have this gut feeling they are going to buy this one back because already I've met the Lemon law qualifications but it's going to be one BIG fight this time.

Thanks!! :wavey:

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated before I drive it through their front door.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. It really stinks. I have not heard of that before. I had a 2010 1500 Big horn, and about 3 months ago I started getting a knocking/ creaking noise up front. Went through about 2.5 months of them "working" on it, which didn't help. I found 2 things their service techs missed totally, one of which they caused and the dealer forgot to tighten my oil filter after one of the oil changes. I would call Chrysler headquarters. I did with mine and opened a case. But, then I got rid of the truck for a newer one. I would go to Chryslers website, they have a customer service number. I felt the same way, love the Ram and want it to work
Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've got a '12 cherry red outdoorsman, and I absolutely love it. -Zero- problems thus far, but I've only got 2200 miles on it. I avg about 17mpg on the highway (stop and go) and about 15 in town (under 30mph mostly stop and go) I have reached 20mpg on a test 65/70mph 45 mile straight run on the highway. I use 89 octane in it. I did have problems with the uConnect and my phone, but it turned out to be a combination of a phone problem, and a uConnect software update needed, (provided from a very helpful gentleman who shall remain nameless)

One thing to note, I drive with my hand on the shifter handle, and have 'accidently' shifted (left to right movement) down to 3rd gear and experienced the same as you describe, naturally in 3rd gear from 55mph... Didn't realize this was happening, but once I figured it out, I am now more careful with my hand on the shifter.

My paint is really good, but others have had complaints. I have one 'drip' right under my driver door handle, but it's hardly noticeable. I've been over my truck with a fine tooth comb. Some orangepeel, but I guess that's the cheap paint (painting) now-a-days, as I see it on most new cars of every brand.

Two trucks with the same problems though? Sounds like some external factor may be involved here... Gas?

Best of luck to you. I love my Ram!
I sure hope they get it figured out for you.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a Black 11 Outdoorsman with the rambox and ZERO problems. I do have one small paint issue on the bottom edge of the taligate but that is it. I have 6700 miles on my truck so far and no issues. Sorry to hear about your issues. You can get the phone numbers you need from Ram's website to get in contact with your district rep. Good Luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
To the OP you have really had some bad luck. I had two Nissan Frontiers, the first a bona fide lemon where I sued under the lemon law and won. The second was not much of an improvement. By the time I had 70,000 miles on the truck I was on my third timing chain. NIssan dealers are the worst.

I went back and forth between a new Ram and a new F-150 and went Ford. The truck is in the shop having the tranny pulled apart for the infamous 1-2 shift issue. This is the fourth attempt to fix the problem and I'll make a lemon law claim if I have to in order to get out of this one. I really want a Ram but posts like yours make me nervous as hell. Most of the new trucks are great but it seems once you get a lemon, you can't escape it.

Keep fighting and keep us posted.

NC

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Your fuel economy will get better as your truck gets broken in. This is coming from a technician (me). As the engine gets its "insides" in order, the fuel economy will increase. The more you drive it, the faster this will happen. Your rings, bearings valve seals etc all have to "settle in" properly.

My truck has stalled on occasion. I am not sure why, and the dealer isnt either. I am not sure if yours is for the same reasons mine is, but its never put me or the vehicles occupants in danger when it does it. Its either first thing in the morning when I fire it up, or as I am coming to a stop and the engine is downshifting. Its only done it a handful of times and I am honestly clueless short of hooking it up to a MOTUS, I do not know anything else I can do. I have checked and tried every possible cause of stalling that I can reach. I even went so far as to test the fuel pump for correct prime. It was only priming intermittently. I had that replaced under warranty...and it stalled 3-4 days later.

As to your other issues:

RamBox: You are not the only one. I have read a few other threads on it, and if you search here there MIGHT be a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out for it. It IS a known problem, at least here on the forums.

Paint Issues: Its not likely your truck was in a wreck, My paint wasnt perfect either. On a vehicle with the size and surface area of a Ram, its very hard to get the paint perfect all the way around. I know my DWBP is nowhere near perfect. Does that make it ok? No. Should Ram fix it? Absolutely.

-The bedliner: The screws that hold the plastic liner (should be a T-30 Torx bit) to the tailgate, get reinstalled when they remove the liner. :doh:

Sounds like you ended up with an awful case of "S.D.S" or as I like to call it, Shitty Dealer Syndrome. Take the truck to another dealer, even if its further away, and my guess is you will get what you are after. Also, call corporate with the number on the website, open a case, and tell them you got SCREWED out of a $600 bedliner and want it back.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sucks to have those problems. The first one was obviously a lemon, and you got that sorted out.
Now your new truck, the stall issue I've never heard of before, nor have I heard of the speedo getting stuck. 6 miles on it and it's stuck at 87mph? That must have been a short stint at 87mph for the truck to have 6 miles on it.
You gotta take it in if it continues to stall, but if you have no more problems with it then what is the issue?
As far as the paint, you HAVE to go over Chrysler cars with a fine tooth comb when you take delivery so you can get that taken care of. Yeah, it's not right, and really it should be covered under warranty, but the paint quality is known to not be the greatest.
As far as the bed liner thing, I have to agree with the dealer, unless you wanted to pay them for labor to fill the holes in your tailgate. Of course they are not going to pay you for the spray in bed liner, you went and did that yourself. The rest of the mods you should have been able to take off the first truck and put them on the 2nd one - mudflaps, bug guard, etc. YOU should have mentioned those things to them and then I would think that a reputable dealer would have installed them on your 2nd truck at no cost, but even if you had to pay for labor, you would still have your mods. Maybe after you had your 'fit' as you say they wanted to throw it back at you? But I really don't know how you acted with them, so I can't say that for sure

At least you were able to get a 2nd truck. That was on them and they held up their end. I have to say that the mods are on you. I know that if I went and traded in my 1500 for another one I would tell them to take off my steps and mud flaps and air deflector and put them all on my new truck.

You gotta calm it down from the sounds of things. Yeah, it's upsetting and I'd be mad too, but you have to get rid of thoughts of driving it through the dealer's front door because doing that or going to the dealer or calling Chrysler and being belligerent is not going to get you anywhere.

Only issue I've really had with mine in 4000 miles is the tpms goes off about once a month randomly even though the tire pressures are fine. It turns off in less than 30 seconds but it's still very strange

I see you're not the only one with the stalling issue. Wow, I hope my truck does not start stalling. A brand new vehicle should not stall randomly

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I agree that SDS is your main problem here.

Other than that, I've had zero problems you mention. I know it sucks to go through, I did it with a 2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel that took me 10 months to get bought back. It kills the enjoyment of a new truck :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Little over 3000 miles on mine and no problems so far and my mpg is slowly creeping up as i put more miles on. Im getting around 15-16 in town and actually did hit 20 mpg the other day for a full tank on a highway run. What are the odds of you getting two lemons in a row?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have over 8000 miles on my 12 Ram Laramie fully loaded with Rambox and have zero complaints. To have 2 new trucks have a stalling problem there has to be some connection. Maybe try using a different gas station??? I only use quality 89 octane gas ... none of the off brand cheapo stuff. Good luck on getting your problems resolved!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Let me drop a line on the fuel issue. 20 mpg on the highway is a PIPE DREAM. I just ran 7749 miles. Idaho > Fl > N.J. and back to Idaho. For the most part I locked in my cruse control at the posted speed limit. Doing the posted 65 or 70 , or 75 mph, this damn `11 Ram 1500 could not , would not give me better then 15.9 mpg average. I reset the numbers for every tank and there were the numbers - 15.4 , 15.5.. I can not listen to the discussion of these trucks getting in the high " Teens" as far mpg goes. After 13K+ miles I think my truck is as " broken in " as it's going to get. At some point the general community should come to terms with the MPG's our trucks deliver.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your problems, I would try another dealer to me it sounds like this dealer doesn't want to deal with the problems.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have read on this forumZ, about the Ramboxes

When they first came out, the BLACK ones were warping, none of the other colors warped, there was a TSB & they fixed the problem

Now that they have 2 sizes of Ramboxes, there has been no issue with the shorter ones, but the longer ones have a problem, they leak & people have to pull the plugs out of the bottom of the box. Last i heard, there is no TSB yet, but it is a known problem & people are starting to put in claims with Dodge Corporate

I have only once had my 2009 seemingly lose throttle & i was driving along a road that resembled a roller coaster near Camdenton Missouri & the Ram slowed down to almost a stop & then took off again, it was an uncomfortable feeling & i was miles from anything

What radio do you have, 3 letters on the face of the radio. lower right corner
RHR 730N
RHB 430N
RBZ 430 - non navigation
RES 130 - non navigation

·
Registered
241 Posts
SDS sounds like the main problem as everyone has said. What you need to do is call the cutomer service line for RAM Trucks 1-866-RAMINFO. I have had a few issues with my 2010 and they were more then helpful with what they did. The RAmbox I belive is a known issue, not sure what they are doing about it. I didn't order mine with the Rambox because of it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sounds like the Dealer is suffering from SDS, but they did get you a new truck. Sorry to here about all your problems, the first one was definetly a Lemon. Just curious, did the speedo get physically stuck at 87Mph, am I reading this right?? If so this is really weird. I have a '12 Laramie Crew loaded to the nines and no problems yet as of 850miles. I absolutly LOVE the truck, yes the fuel mileage sucks, hopefully it will get better. Best of luck on this new truck, If you do Lemon Law it, Fight for More options or a higher trim level (if you want it) for ALL your trouble.

·
Registered
168 Posts
By manual calculation (and EVIC by ~+.5-7) I have so far -consistently- been getting at least 17mpg on the highway runs... As of the last 200 miles on this tank, I'm at 19.1 on the EVIC, all highway with stop and go.

I've got 2300 miles on mine to date. 2012 4.7L Outdoorsman with 3.92 and 20" wheels.

Now, city driving, around 30mph stop and go... 16 is my tops with avg at 15.1

Guess I'm a lucky one? :smileup:

Let me drop a line on the fuel issue. 20 mpg on the highway is a PIPE DREAM. I just ran 7749 miles. Idaho > Fl > N.J. and back to Idaho. For the most part I locked in my cruse control at the posted speed limit. Doing the posted 65 or 70 , or 75 mph, this damn `11 Ram 1500 could not , would not give me better then 15.9 mpg average. I reset the numbers for every tank and there were the numbers - 15.4 , 15.5.. I can not listen to the discussion of these trucks getting in the high " Teens" as far mpg goes. After 13K+ miles I think my truck is as " broken in " as it's going to get. At some point the general community should come to terms with the MPG's our trucks deliver.

·
Registered
148 Posts
20mpg is not a pipe dream. I consistently get 21 or 22 mpg on highway journeys, I have since the truck was new. I have 3.55 gears.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts