DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need winter tires, i live in an area that has bad winter roads, 90% ice,slush,wet and 10% packed snow. I have small winter tires (265/70r17)on my 2012 ram 1500 crew cab with canopy. the tires look really small (17" rims). I have larger summers and i want to get the largest winters i can. My summers are 285/75r17 terra grapplers.

What are largest winters tires?
What are you running and how are they on
Ice
Slush
Wet
Snow

cheers
kev

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I'm running Blizzaks on my stock 20" rims. To save on cost, I'd simply get a winter tire in the 285/75R17. I've run Blizzaks, and IPikes and both are fantastic winter tires....almost too good in some situations as you don't realize how bad the roads really are until it gets real scary real fast!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be very happy with 285/75r17 winter tires but i have not seen any in this size. it looks like the biggest i can find is 285/70r17 in a Blizzack. That will be ok but i will have a speedo error in the winter due to the bigger tires in the summer.
I like the more aggressive looking tread patterns but it doesnt seem to be available in winter tires.

cheers
kev

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have to say Blizzaks are a great option. Have had them on several company cars. I have Perelli Scropion ICE & Snow's on the wife's charger and they are great. You could pay the $60.00 to have the dealer reprogram everytime you change tires if you don't have or want a turner to do it for you.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Like a Diablo Sport tuner. They will allow you to reset your tire size with out going to the dealer. my wife's Charger runs 20" in the summer and 18" steel police wheels and ICE&Snow tires in the winter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will look into the tuner, it will come in handy.

Any other big winter tire sugestions any body?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks I will look into the tuner, it will come in handy.

Any other big winter tire sugestions any body?
Only Blizzaks for me :smileup: no other winter tire in my opinion. I've tried various others (Michelin, Goodyear, etc) and keep coming back to the Bridgestone Blizzaks. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Thanks I will look into the tuner, it will come in handy......
There is nothing available 'yet' for your 2012. :( After Dodge changed the encryption in the PCM in 2011, the tuner companies have been working feverishly to find a solution. It has taken longer then expected. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
573 Posts
If its ultimate traction you want then I'd go Blizzaks as well. I have a set on the stock chrome clads and they are fantastic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts