DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the advantage (if any) in getting a coil lift kit over Bilsteins 5100 ride height adjustable shocks which preloads the stock coils? I want to get the Kore leveling kit which is a 2.5 lift with Bilsteins but that is $400 vs $160

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I assume the $400 Kore kit you are looking at is similar to this one?

http://www.koreraceshop.com/kore-hp-leveling-kit-1998-2008-diesel.aspx

Kore makes some other kits that include high angle CV joints and other stuff but they are quite a bit more expensive. I don't really see why the kit that I linked above would be worth over twice as much as the Bilsteins alone. The only big difference seems to be that it includes new coil springs but why would you need new springs on a nearly new truck? Unless someone can chime in with something that I don't know I think I would stick with the Bilsteins alone.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Kore makes some other kits that include high angle CV joints and other stuff but they are quite a bit more expensive. I don't really see why the kit that I linked above would be worth over twice as much as the Bilsteins alone. The only big difference seems to be that it includes new coil springs but why would you need new springs on a nearly new truck? Unless someone can chime in with something that I don't know I think I would stick with the Bilsteins alone.
Longer springs will = no preload and much better small bump compliance on the road. Will ride like the truck does now instead of stiffening it up on the front. THe Bils will still be little more raspy on the road then stock shocks, but better without the additional spring preload. I'm sure the ride will be very much the same.

Looks like a great kit to me. WIsh I had seen this prior to putting on my Bils last week.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yep thats the kit, my only concern was the ride and pre compressing the springs for the bilsteins vs a natural spring rate with a longer spring from Kore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Longer springs will = no preload and much better small bump compliance on the road. Will ride like the truck does now instead of stiffening it up on the front. THe Bils will still be little more raspy on the road then stock shocks, but better without the additional spring preload. I'm sure the ride will be very much the same.

Looks like a great kit to me. WIsh I had seen this prior to putting on my Bils last week.
According to Bilstein you will not notice the initial preloading of the springs until you get into a whoop section (if you were offroading) where you use all your travel and spring load. This isn't the case with me, I just want the look for the street. StoneyWV how are your bilsteins?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yep thats the kit, my only concern was the ride and pre compressing the springs for the bilsteins vs a natural spring rate with a longer spring from Kore.
I have only had my Bilsteins on two days now and mine is a 1500 but I have noticed no real difference in the ride. If anything it seems to bounce a little less which I consider a good thing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
According to Bilstein you will not notice the initial preloading of the springs until you get into a whoop section (if you were offroading) where you use all your travel and spring load. This isn't the case with me, I just want the look for the street. StoneyWV how are your bilsteins?
Depends where your drive the most. I commute two hours a day in my truck on some nasty roads down here in Virginia Beach area. The day I put the shocks on I could tell a difference. Bilstein's is trying to makes sales, whatever their website says...., They are rougher ride... You can't have soft road characteristics and outstanding off road performance, just isn't going to happen. There is slight trade off for great performance on either end.
If you drive mostly good roads and not many miles every day, you probably wouldn't really notice that much difference, and if you did it wouldn't be a concern. I'm willing to live with the chop a little to get the look I want. I went Bilstein because I could adjust the wobble back out if it happened to show up. I wouldn't have accepted that for the look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts