DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,090 Posts
No, you can't stack Bilstein 5100's and spacers. The control arm and CV shaft angles become far too steep. If you want more front end lift you'd need to go with a full 4" lift kit to address the front end geometry issues that arise when lifting that much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's my thought. If I set the bilsteins at the stock heigth(bottom) and then put my hell Bent on top of that to get front a bit higher?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would set me at 2.5 instead of the 2" with bilsteins. Truck has a very obvious rake and i cannot look past it. Haha

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
How did you even get 5100's on a Gen 3?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure what you mean. I went to Bilstein website and checked proper fitment. Part numbers were 24-186988 for front struts. 0-2 inch lift. Rear shocks were 24-185783. No issues in install

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Ok. I think I understand now. You got the 5100' but they provide no lift since it's an 08. You are asking if it is ok to use spacers with those shocks. The answer is yes. I think both Brandon and I were thinking the were the leveling 5100's. My bad. If you want to level it is your only coice to use spacers since the Bilsteins won't level for you. Put a little more info on your truck in your sig and it will help others know what you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the ride adjustable 5100 for my 08 1500. Installed at the max which is 2" lift from strut. That still leaves me like over inch in a half rake. So I've been contemplating seeing them at the sock height and putting 2.5 spacers on. Then I got to thinking if I got up to the second setting it would give me a little over 3" lift with the adjustment on the strut and the spacers being used at same time. But I've read that you don't want to go over 2.5 in front or you put added stress on front end parts? Ideas? Also I'm going to add to the sig like you mentioned. Fairly new to posting on forum, Didn't know about it. Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,643 Posts
Rough Country makes a 1" rear shackle drop, otherwise grind or pull a shim from under the leaf spring.

Shimming and a shock lift in front is frowned upon in modern day.

·
8,090 Posts
Ok. I think I understand now. You got the 5100' but they provide no lift since it's an 08. You are asking if it is ok to use spacers with those shocks. The answer is yes. I think both Brandon and I were thinking the were the leveling 5100's. My bad. If you want to level it is your only coice to use spacers since the Bilsteins won't level for you. Put a little more info on your truck in your sig and it will help others know what you need.
Bilstein has adjustable front struts for 3rd gens as well. 06+ 1500 4wd's use a strut suspension. The Bilsteins just offer one notch less lift height than the 4th gens. As the OP stated, he's has them set at max which is 2" on a 3rd gen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is correct Brandon. I used to run 2.5" spacers on top of stock strut which had my 2008 1500 sitting closer to level than what it is with the adjustable Bilsteins at Max. Which is a half inch shorter. How a half inch makes that much s difference I don't understand. Just trying to get closer to level I once had with just the spacers. I also run 35x12.50r17's. this the reason I'm trying to get the most out of it without going to far or sitting on a Bro-lift(higher front) haha. Thanks again guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts