DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the awaited Bilstein treatment today for the front of the Ram! After much consideration I went with the 1.4" setting which definitely took some sag out of the front, but still left some rake for towing. All in all I am happy with it. Ride is excellent, and no vibration noticed so far! And if at anytime I wanna go up, I will just adjust the Bilsteins. That's the real payoff for me. Oh, and I didn't say anything, but installed the 24" Mufflex last week! Sounds tough!! Let me know what ya think!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
SWEET! Who did the shock install and how much was it? Truck looks good man...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SWEET! Who did the shock install and how much was it? Truck looks good man...
Boy! Your fast! I just posted that! Thanks!! A local Wheel & Auto shop did the install and alignment. I ended up paying $140 total (minus the Bilsteins). So I have about $340 wrapped up in the setup. A little more than a spacer kit, but I can adjust, they can't! :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hell I got quoted $660 for the shocks, installed and alignment today from 4 wheel parts, they are smoking crack!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually priced a 4x4 specialty shop here and they had quoted around $550. Seems like doing it separate is the way to go. I ordered the Bilsteins form TireRack.com and they were at my door in 3 days and priced at a little over $200 shipped for the pair.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
thats sweet dude im gonna have to pick me up a set of them bad boys

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow that's cheap I priced mine out today at a 4x4 shop aim they said 1200
$1200 to install Bilstein 5100's? I want whatever those guys are on. That's ridiculous. I had quote of $650 to install a 6 inch lift with mount, balance, and install of tires included in that. Almost twice that for something that is a lot less involved sounds outrageous.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Looks good man. Ya you wont have vibration in your truck. If you look at your CV shafts they are straight and thy have no angle. You can go all the way up and still be fine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yesterday i got quoted $140 for install and $65 for alignment at a specialty 4X4 shop!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think I would be comfortable with telling you it would be okay to attempt, but I know some have done it solo. The main issue is removing the spring/shock package under a load, then having to compress the springs to remove the shocks. This isn't a simple old school shock change. A shop will also need to align the truck, so for me it was worth the time and trouble to pay someone with the right tools and experience to get the job done right and much quicker than I could in my driveway.
As for the 24" muffler, its pretty quiet in the cab. You don't hear much if you don't remove the resonator. To be honest, looking back I would have gone with the 18". Right now I am running the 24" and I removed the rear resonator and then fabbed up a dump right after the muffler. Its still not annoyingly loud at all. Sounds good, and I can always re install the rear exhaust section to quiet it down.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
So yesterday there was a light rain and the road was a bit slippery so I put it into 4x4 auto. Much to my surprise I have a vibration under acceleration that was definitely not there before the level. I have my Bilstiens set to 2.1". I don't use 4x4 all that much but don't want any damage from this. What is the concense from everyone ? Leave it will be fine or drop it back down? Advice please.

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
So yesterday there was a light rain and the road was a bit slippery so I put it into 4x4 auto. Much to my surprise I have a vibration under acceleration that was definitely not there before the level. I have my Bilstiens set to 2.1". I don't use 4x4 all that much but don't want any damage from this. What is the concense from everyone ? Leave it will be fine or drop it back down? Advice please.
For the little amount of time you use it and Im sure its a light feel, you will be ok.
This will be the case even if you went with level blocks vs bilsteins.
This is no way has anything to do with the Bilsteins.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
For the little amount of time you use it and Im sure its a light feel, you will be ok.
This will be the case even if you went with level blocks vs bilsteins.
This is no way has anything to do with the Bilsteins.
Yup that's what I was thinking. I agree it's got nothing to do with the Bilstiens but is related to the change in the angle of the front drive shafts. Its really not that much but is consistent on both sides up front. It also seems to be in a narrow speed range of around 30-50 km/hr, I'm am willing to live with it for the better stance, just something to be aware of when levelling these trucks.

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
Yup that's what I was thinking. I agree it's got nothing to do with the Bilstiens but is related to the change in the angle of the front drive shafts. Its really not that much but is consistent on both sides up front. It also seems to be in a narrow speed range of around 30-50 km/hr, I'm am willing to live with it for the better stance, just something to be aware of when levelling these trucks.
I had it from stand still till 15km/hr at 2.1

·
Registered
80 Posts
So was this set on the second notch of the bilsteins?

Got the awaited Bilstein treatment today for the front of the Ram! After much consideration I went with the 1.4" setting which definitely took some sag out of the front, but still left some rake for towing. All in all I am happy with it. Ride is excellent, and no vibration noticed so far! And if at anytime I wanna go up, I will just adjust the Bilsteins. That's the real payoff for me. Oh, and I didn't say anything, but installed the 24" Mufflex last week! Sounds tough!! Let me know what ya think!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts