DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to black out the stock rims on my 2012 ram sport, anyone know what paint I should use? I've heard plasti dip is pretty good..... but I'm not sure if it's tough enough. Thought about using a DYI box liner kit.... Any ideas would be great!

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
I want to black out the stock rims on my 2012 ram sport, anyone know what paint I should use? I've heard plasti dip is pretty good..... but I'm not sure if it's tough enough. Thought about using a DYI box liner kit.... Any ideas would be great!
I would personally have them powder coated, i don't know how much the shops where you are at charge for powder coat but my local shop here only charged me $380 to get all 4 wheel welded together with a 48"x24" 1/4" thick piece of aluminum welded on top of them and the whole thing powder coated, i would imagine i would be cheaper for you as you aren't getting any welding done and don't have an extra 48x24 piece of medal either :)

Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Plastidip is pretty good. I have it on the silver parts of my dash. I have seen guys that have plastidipped a whole car, used a pressure washer on it to clean it and it still looks good 3 months later. Its like $5 a can in the US, and if you dont like it you can just peel it off. I got some locally here in BC for $12 a can on Craigslist. Just giving you an option.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
I had my rims powder coated for $300, gloss black. They look great.
Those do look good looks very similar to my coffee table lol except yours still have rubber on them and are on you truck :)

Jeremiah

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
To the OP......I would second the recommendation of Plasti-dip primarily because it's cheap and if you don't like it or if it does get damaged you can simply peel it off. Powdercoating is obviously going to be stronger and much more permanent but I'm wondering...do you have the stock chrome-clad 20s? Can you powdercoat those without removing the plastic cladding first? My guess would be no which means removing the cladding and prepping the alloy underneath for a smooth finish.

Those do look good looks very similar to my coffee table lol except yours still have rubber on them and are on you truck :)

Jeremiah
I was wondering why you had yours welded to a big sheet of metal. I guess that explains why, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
To the OP......I would second the recommendation of Plasti-dip primarily because it's cheap and if you don't like it or if it does get damaged you can simply peel it off. Powdercoating is obviously going to be stronger and much more permanent but I'm wondering...do you have the stock chrome-clad 20s? Can you powdercoat those without removing the plastic cladding first? My guess would be no which means removing the cladding and prepping the alloy underneath for a smooth finish.

I was wondering why you had yours welded to a big sheet of metal. I guess that explains why, lol.
lol ill get some pics of it and upload them sometime in the next few weeks :) when i get my new camera in the mail as my old one has broke :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would personally have them powder coated, i don't know how much the shops where you are at charge for powder coat but my local shop here only charged me $380 to get all 4 wheel welded together with a 48"x24" 1/4" thick piece of aluminum welded on top of them and the whole thing powder coated, i would imagine i would be cheaper for you as you aren't getting any welding done and don't have an extra 48x24 piece of medal either :)

Jeremiah
This I gotta see... can you post a photo for us?

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
This I gotta see... can you post a photo for us?
I will post up some pics as soon as my camera gets here :) also will be posting alot of pics of my truck over in my build thread i have fallen way behind with keeping everyone updated with pics, but the camera broke so i ordered a new one i only did ground shipping so hopefully it is here by the first of the year :)

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts