1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black runs?
No fella, this isn't a medical issue.

I've had my truck for 9 months now.
2017, but used w/14k miles (I got it for a steal)

She's white and I've got good coats of carnuba on it and black out on the trim and plastics.
I did the black out after her first bath and wax. It settled down very well and I've never had any issues with keeping things mint clean.

This June I only had the opportunity to wash it once, beeeeeeecause during the summer, here in Florida it rains practically everyday for hours into the evening.

I started seeing black but translucent runs coming from several areas such as between the drivers (and passenger) rear view mirrors and the window down the door, then at the end of the window down around the door handles.

Coming off the top of the tailgate. Hemi badges up front and rear Ram emblem and 4x4 badge are also bleeding this.

Any ideas what's going on?
I'm certain it's nothing I've applied. (better not be)

·
Super Moderator
34,217 Posts
If I go to long without washing mine (deployments) then when I come back to it it will have what I think you are talking about. Almost like water runs out of certain areas and causes them to fade. I believe this is from dust and dirt that settles on the paint that gets carried around when it rains and leaves these run lines, sort of a gray color.

They should come off when you wash it. If they've been there a while you need a clay bar to get them out. When you do wash it then the badges will hold some water and you'll get little runs for a little while, so you have to reattack those with a towel before they dry

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the daily rain you wouldn't think this would happen.
Sure it washes off easy thanks to quality carnauba.
When I first bought it, it got the clay bar routine as things were bad.
2 coats of wax. Let it experience summer heat for a couple weeks (settles into pores really well) then one more coat. Let sit 4 a month. One more coat in another month. After this things are settled we'll. One coat every 3 months for a year. Then once every 6 from then on.
My 20 year old GMC Z71 looked mint by doing this and I only had to clay bar once.

I washed it this morning. This evening I checked exterior rubber around doors. There was nothing on it. It's possible that I neglected to apply black out sealant.. Rubbers can oxidize easily in the Florida summer. Maybe this was part of the problem. In other areas like the bed rail caps above the tail lights.... I dunno about that. I did the black out thing. No rain in the forecast tomorrow so it will bake in well. It works best that way.
So we'll see.
I just don't like it..
On a new truck it makes it look old and it's embarrassing. But of course it's gonna get all muddy this fall during hunting season.

·
Super Moderator
34,217 Posts
With the daily rain you wouldn't think this would happen.

The rain is why it happens. It pools up all the dust and stuff and runs it down from the corners of the headlights and door handles and stuff

·
Registered
301 Posts
Black runs?
No fella, this isn't a medical issue.

I've had my truck for 9 months now.
2017, but used w/14k miles (I got it for a steal)

She's white and I've got good coats of carnuba on it and black out on the trim and plastics.
I did the black out after her first bath and wax. It settled down very well and I've never had any issues with keeping things mint clean.

This June I only had the opportunity to wash it once, beeeeeeecause during the summer, here in Florida it rains practically everyday for hours into the evening.

I started seeing black but translucent runs coming from several areas such as between the drivers (and passenger) rear view mirrors and the window down the door, then at the end of the window down around the door handles.

Coming off the top of the tailgate. Hemi badges up front and rear Ram emblem and 4x4 badge are also bleeding this.

Any ideas what's going on?
I'm certain it's nothing I've applied. (better not be)
More than likely dirt accumulated behind the badges, etc. Easy to notice on white vehicles.
Try using a soft brush (make up brushes are great for this) dipped in car wash soap and get all behind the badges and hard to get areas. Works wonders.

·
Super Moderator
34,217 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yeah, it didn't stop all of them.
But to be honest, I am lucky to wash it 3-5 times a year.
The runs on the badges just drove me nuts, so even if the truck didn't appear that dirty, those streaks sure did.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it didn't stop all of them.
But to be honest, I am lucky to wash it 3-5 times a year.
The runs on the badges just drove me nuts, so even if the truck didn't appear that dirty, those streaks sure did.
Did you get all the badges off (certain ones are obviously no problem).
But the ram badge on the tailgate gives me pause. I'm concerned that it might be recessed, which would obviously look dorky if removed. I think I just might remove most if not all of the flashy badges. It just helps would be thieves see what they're getting and I don't like waxing around em. Eventually things will look nasty.

I resolved the issue running down the doors where the window lines up with the rear mirror.

I grabbed a small applicator and applied a generous amount of mothers black out. Also gave the black bed rail caps a generous application too. Rain water seems to be running off a lot better, faster than a slower pace without it, those annoying streaks are now very minimal. But still unwanted.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I left the grille and tailgate center emblems on - there are holes behind them.

There are aftermarket ones though if you want to change it up some. Different themes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Super! Thx bunches and I'll definitely look at the after market stuff.

·
Registered
824 Posts
More than likely dirt accumulated behind the badges, etc. Easy to notice on white vehicles.

This! You can use a pressure washer with a soap dispenser to clean out all the things you cant get to by hand. Just be careful some PW's put out a lot of pressure and can damage things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
Moparite
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing