DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading another thread here on vent visors and someone asked one of the posters why he had not removed the black tape covering the B pillar of both doors.

My truck looks similar to the one in that thread - so am I to assume that's black tape that should be removed between the doors? Looked at it briefly this morning and I couldn't tell... just bought it bout a month ago and figured the dealer would have pulled something like that if it's supposed to come off?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
It's not "supposed" to be taken off, but some of us (I think most of us) prefer it off. I took mine off and it looks way better. It pretty much comes right off, just a little slow going, then some adhesive left over but goo gone takes it off.

FYI the tape is actually an "option" they put on, not all trucks have it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SNRUSNAK. Since this photo - first day at home, Ive tinted the front windows to match rear so it's a nice block of black there. Not sure if I want to remove it or not - guess I'll play in Photoshop to see which I like - red or black there. Anyone got an opinion?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So black or red - what's everyone think???

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I personally can't stand the blacked out pillars. I removed them on the gf's caliber because they annoyed me so much. Hell, with the chrome you have on the truck already, getting a set of chrome mirror covers and chrome pillar covers would probably look the best.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
RED for sure. that black tape doesnt match the window tint even remotely and who heard of a one window truck anyway. It looks way better off IMHO

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
red! nice chop btw wish i knew how to do that.
Thanks Sean - that's really pretty basic Phoshop stuff done in about 60 secs and got the front window too dark trying to simulate the tint job done since original pic was taken. And thanks for the pic APSTRAM - makes it much easier to visualize.

And no, I don't want any more chrome - always thought chrome pillars looked cheesy - didn't even have them on my Chrome Edition F150. Planing to lose some of the chrome starting with the bug guard.

Interesting, I'd have never known about this without this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
haha, so funny. auto mfg started putting this black tape on because people were modding their vehicles with it...now everyone is reverting and taking it off saying it looks better!!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I guess it's a matter of taste, but I really prefer the look with it ON. Maybe because it's white?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, that does look good without the tape. Might have to try it myself. My last truck was a Ford extended cab with tinted windows. It looked good with the blacked out pillar cause it was a glossy black, and the windows blended together, I quite liked it, also the small back window I think would have looked funny. But the Dodge looks better without, the tape is a flatter black and doesn't really match. Good idea, thanks. I guess no matter what the manufactures do to "customize" we'll undo to customize.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RamManCan -- my previous truck was a Ford F150 Extended Cab too - and my B pillar was black too -- but I think on the Ford it's more of an overlay - almost like those Putco chrome pieces you can stick on the B-pillar. As I recall it seemed thicker than the Dodge "tape" as I never considered removing it from the Ford. Probably would never have thought of it on the Dodge if I hadn't see someone else's post here saying they had done that very thing. Glad I did though - truck looks better without it. Maybe it's like you say - difference in an extended vs full 4-door cab - size of the windows? Whatever, I'm happier without it.

(Now I'm changing the OEM CAI tube for a carbon fiber one from LegMaker - what's a truck if you can't 'mod' it??)

·
Registered
132 Posts
im taking the "black tape" off my truck as soon as the weather shapes up up here in canada, if i dont like it off ill probably replace mine with black gloss vinyl overlay to match the black tinted windows front and back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree to some extent, My truck didn't come with the blackout decals, but I am going to spray the area they occupy in gloss black (BC/CC) to resemble the tinted windows... The matte black kinda sticks out...

·
Banned
61 Posts
I actually like the black tape on mine. Unfortunately it has really started to wrinkle up on the driver side rear door. Starting to look like poop. Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm wondering if the dealership will fix it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine is wrinkling on some of the edges, but I'm planning on ripping them off anyways

·
Registered
352 Posts
I removed mine and it looks amazing. So much smoother and a cleaner look.

Someone on here said it best, I didn't pay $35k for a sports truck to come with body accents in the form of a sticker...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts