DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in two weeks I'll be getting new tires, I will leave the stock 20s in there till I finish paying Gloria, but I was thinking on painting the stock wheels black, I did a bit oh photoshop and here's what they could look like:

If I do go ahead with this project I will need some help:

I don't have no idea what paint, primer, sand paper to buy, or what might be the process. So please if you have done this before post a small guide, I will really appreciate it.

·
Banned
56,675 Posts
Black paint?? Sorry...couldn't resist!! ;)

Your truck is going to look really nice when you get this done! Gloria will stand out that is for sure! :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black paint?? Sorry...couldn't resist!! ;)

Your truck is going to look really nice when you get this done! Gloria will stand out that is for sure! :)
Thanks Stacey :smileup:

Not offhand. I painted my wheels once and we used the enamel that was used on the truck body.
I will take a trip to AutoZone or a local paint store for cars only and see if they can help me with what paint, primer, clear coat to buy... However I would like to hear from some members in here about how to!

E

·
0 Posts
When I read the first part of your post I thought you were gonna do the whole wheel and was gonna say Don't Do The Whole Wheel!!!

You have the right idea. Remember, you may not be able to keep paint on the lug nuts so do another chop and make them chrome again to get a feel for that look.

I've attached a basic parts painting guide that I hope will help. The parts you are painting are plastic chrome. You can strip the chrome off the plastic by immersing the wheel in bleach or using Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Both processes take a bit of time.

Your other option is to sand it with 220 grit, apply etch primer, then paint the part.

Anyway, check out the attachment for a process to start your painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I read the first part of your post I thought you were gonna do the whole wheel and was gonna say Don't Do The Whole Wheel!!!

You have the right idea. Remember, you may not be able to keep paint on the lug nuts so do another chop and make them chrome again to get a feel for that look.

I've attached a basic parts painting guide that I hope will help. The parts you are painting are plastic chrome. You can strip the chrome off the plastic by immersing the wheel in bleach or using Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Both processes take a bit of time.

Your other option is to sand it with 220 grit, apply etch primer, then paint the part.

Anyway, check out the attachment for a process to start your painting.
Thank you so much for the guide!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My uncle painted his wheel all black on his s10, he just sanded the rust, primered twice, and put 3 coats of black enamel paint (for rims of course), he didn't use clear coat or anything else, so I will see how long they last lol!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Should look pretty sweet man. Prep is going to be the main thing. You got to have em good and clean to have any primmer to stick. I cant think of any great primmer off hand. Sorry

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found these things that might give you some ideas. You asked about which paint to buy. I know dupli color is one brand that has paint specifically for wheels but there are others.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-refinish-wheels-using-dupli-color-wheel-paint-166347/

Oh and black wheels would look awesome on your white truck. Specially leaving the edge of the rim in chrome like the photo you showed. It has a nice contrast.
Thanks for all the info! :smiley_thumbs_up:

Should look pretty sweet man. Prep is going to be the main thing. You got to have em good and clean to have any primmer to stick. I cant think of any great primmer off hand. Sorry
Thanks man :smileup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm still scared of messing them up =(
ahh, go for it man... just prep it right.. do it right the first time ya know? take your time with them.... they will look great.. cant wait to see how they turn out!!!:smileup:

btw..... didnt you have 22s on this truck?

·
Registered
110 Posts
buy a 'self-etching' primer. You'll also have to scuff those wheels up really well for anything to adhere to them. Start with degreaser (simple green actually etches aluminum so keep it off the lip). sand with high grit, maybe 440 or higher. prime, three light coats of enamal type paint. then clear coat the F*** out of them, three coats with light sand between each. The clear makes a hard shell over the paint so if you get light scratches it never reaches the paint.

Practice on your spare wheel first?

·
Registered
206 Posts
i think you should go ahead with the wheel painting! It would look really good. if ur worried about painting them try searching localy for someone to paint/powder coating them.

if i were near you I'd paint them for you:smileup:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
i like the black rims. i wanted to do that with my stock rims too. I was going to powder coat mine but Maddog has a good idea there

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can buy black lug nuts! I am pretty sure i'll see if i can find them. Painting just about anything is pretty easy. The more patience you have the better the outcome. It really comes down to sanding with a rough grit say 220 as what maddog said.. but i would keep changing grit to get the rough grooves out of the finish too about 400-500 grit then prime... sand to even finer grit... prime... sand again... CLEAN IT EXTREMELY WELL with a paint prep degreaser.. Then paint in probably two light coats... if you need more well give it another coat let the paint get tacky then clear it. If any imperfections happen. Wet sand them with 1500 grit to start moving up in 500 grit increments until about 2500. And buff the wheel out with rubbing compound.
This is a pretty basic list of instructions but good guidelines to go by. I've painted a few cars and trucks to date and they've turned out very sharp. Its all in how patient you are. Good luck!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts