This was one heck of a project!
The hardest part was cleaning out the old glue out of the housing ! The rest was fun and I'm pretty please with the results. One problem was a small amount of black that seeped under the tape.
Love the look of the Black Headlights...Did you take them apart and paint them yourself or did you buy aftermarket ones? What kind of tape did you use? I heard alot of bad stories of the tape pulling the chrome off.... Any tips would be great.... :smileup:
I used the blue painters tape ,prolly should of used an automotive paint tape. The chrome was fine, no peeling. I did tape them up then start the sanding. When I separated the clear housing some of the old glue was on the clear and some on the black piece. I didn't feel that buy just heating it again and using the old would create a proper seal. The removal of the old glue sucked!!!!! About 6+ hours of picking and pulling and scraping, but I now feel better about the seal. I used 1.5 tubes of the black silicone sealant per light. Glued the up and snugged them up with a few straps and let them sit over night to cure
The led strips are inside the housing. I love the look of the audi cars with the white LEDs up front. This was an easy mod,they fit perfectly down at the bottom of the housing.
As for the turn signals I just paint over them. I'm kinda bummed about the paint seeping under so that would be my advice is use a good tape and take your time. I love the new look of the lights! http://wiki.************************/wiki/Black_Lights
This is link that I finally pushed me to try this project.
Thanks for the feed back! And thanks for looking!