DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Ram this week, knowing that the emergency brake was not functional. The light blinks on and off whenever the truck is running. The emergency brakes do not function properly (if I put the truck in drive and engage the emergency brake, the truck will roll forward as if the brake is disengaged).

I've hopped under the truck and checked things out, and it looks as if the driver side cable is a little loose (still attached) on the emergency brake shoe (at the rear wheel), but the passenger side seems to be in proper place. The cable looks like it still functions and pulls the springs the way it should from what I see. It seems that I might be able to adjust the cable to regain functionality.

If that does not work, I can replace the cable/shoe system for what looks like less than $100 in parts. My question is if I do adjust/replace the brake system, where is the sensor that will tell the light to stop blinking on the dash?

I'm hoping that the flashing brake light on the dash is referring to the parking brake system and not something else. Is there a way to find out why it is flashing?

Apologies for the long winded question and thanks for any and all input!

Geoff

·
Registered
307 Posts
That light is a indicator for not just the parking brake but the whole brake system as a whole.

But why dont you just repair your parking brake to operating condition. Thats pobably why the light is on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts