DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this wasn't my idea. I read about it on another forum and thought I share it for everybody's benefit.

I installed the block heater cable but didn't like the idea of the cable just dangling around so I spend an additional $15.00 and an extra 30 minutes to install the receptacle shown.

It was easy on my truck since it doesn't have the tow hooks. An alternate location would be the plastic valance below the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
That's a good idea. Are you going to do a quick write up on what you used and what you did?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I have seen this too
Sort of looks like they used a Desk Top Computer Extension Cord

I think something like this would be better for keeping the rain, snow & ice out

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I plug in my block heater it trips the GFCI outlet after a while, not immediately .
Anybody ever run into this ? -27°C tonight :-(

Jack

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
When I plug in my block heater it trips the GFCI outlet after a while, not immediately .
Anybody ever run into this ? -27°C tonight :-(

Jack
I haven’t had that problem. Is it an interior or exterior plug? Have you tried to see if anything else trips the gfi? It could be a weak gfi that needs to be replaced. Is there anything else plugged into the circuit?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I haven’t had that problem. Is it an interior or exterior plug? Have you tried to see if anything else trips the gfi? It could be a weak gfi that needs to be replaced. Is there anything else plugged into the circuit?

Hey man, thanks . It's an outside plug. It is just too effin' cold today to do anything . Heat wave tomorrow of -12 so I will do some testing .

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Is anything else plugged into the circuit? Usually there are more than one plug on the circuit with only one plug with the test/reset buttons on it. Does the outlet have a weather proof cover over it?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
A worn GFCI will trip... I got one in my garage that's tripping with a light so I need to get it changed out soon, cant run anything but a radio on it...lol

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I will be trouble shooting tomorrow . Is there a definitive way to know the block heater is working ?
I know mines working because when I have it plugged in overnight it doesn’t take long (about a mile of driving) for the heater to start blowing warm air. If I don’t it takes at least 4 miles.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
A worn GFCI will trip... I got one in my garage that's tripping with a light so I need to get it changed out soon, cant run anything but a radio on it...lol
It doesn’t take long, you should do it soon.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Short update : the gfci has one downstream outlet with no load, I have a gfci ext. cord I am going to try at a normal outlet to see if the block heater trips that .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts