DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 dodge ram 5.9 When truck is running in park it sets surges really bad and it smokes from burning to much gas. When climbing hills or accelerating it stalls out and sometimes die. Computer says map sensor is bad but ive put 2 new ones on it and still says its bad. Wont run with new one on it but will run with old one, just not like its suppose to. Any help is appreciated. I dont know what the code number was when i had it checked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i unhooked battery and hooked it back up and reset it with a computer and cleared the codes and the map sensor code keeps coming back. Im getting the code number tommorow for further inspection

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Did you try checking the codes yourself??

Blue smoke is normally oil.

White is normally coolant in the engine, or transmission fluid entering through the vacuum system.

Black is normally hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If it's black smoke, you may have a toasted o2 sensor, if it's blue, you may have an overserviced crankcase, if someone put oil in it when the truck isn't level (yeah, I did that, no mosquitoes in the 4 county area for weeks!) white smoke is always a bummer, in my opinion! A map sensor will cause a run rich deal, too check your pins to see if you have a bent one in the connector, and if there's a vacuum connection, it wouldn't hurt to make sure it's a good vacuum tube, and not burnt, cracked, disconnected, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A bad plenum gasket could throw the MAP sensor off and account for the oil burning.
What is the plenum gasket? I had the codes checked again and they are:

P0132 - 02 circuit high voltage

P1297 - no change in map from start to run.

Ive put a new map sensor on and checked all vaccum hoses and connections. Still runs and im driving it right now. Brake pedal feels week. plenty of fluid, and theres thick oil across my new air filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The OEM intake manifold is made of 2 pieces....the top is aluminum, the bottom is stamped steel, and the plenum gasket is in-between the two halves. Back in 2000-01 some buddies had this happen and Dodge charged them some ridiculous price like $800 to replace it.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Yup, sounds like the plenum gasket. If there's enough oil coming through it to stain the air filter, you can bet that that same oil is getting into the air intake system and burning in the cylinders. It's only a couple hours work and not real difficult to do. Even if you are a novice. Call it a Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bought a set of gaskets today that came with the plenum gasket. work in progress right now. does the plenum gasket leaking and blue smoking have anything to do with the ecm throwing a map sensor code?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure, and measures the intake pressure. If your plenum gasket is bad, your pressure will fluctuate badly and easily exceeding normal value limits. The computer would interpret this as a MAP sensor failure. So, I'd say it's certainly a possibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fixed the truck yesterday. when i pulled the intake to change the plenum gasket i found that my map sensor wires were chewed in to. so put it all back together and runs like a champ now.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
fixed the truck yesterday. when i pulled the intake to change the plenum gasket i found that my map sensor wires were chewed in to. so put it all back together and runs like a champ now.
Voonderbar! Nice job!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts