DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4x4 was lifted at the dealership four years ago with a 4" mopar branded(superlift) kit. I have a camper shell and at highway speeds the truck will rock violently left and right when I change lanes abruptly while punching the gas or if I hit a bump in a curve. Very sketchy. It only stops when I let off the gas and slow the vehicle down. It does not display this behavior under 50mph. It becomes worse when the bed is loaded with gear. I also wear tires fast. The outside shoulders of my 17x35x12.5" nittos are all feathered with 11000 miles on them. My last set of 35s lasted 25,000 miles.
* I have taken to dealer - all bolts are tight they claim no wrongdoing
* I have inflated my tires to 50psi in case sidewall flex is causing body roll
* upgraded all shocks to bilstein 5100

I believe the superlift progressive coil springs in the rear are too soft and maybe airbags would help. also thought of replacing stock sway bar and end links with hellwig bar.

Also have worn out both outer tie rod ends at 39,000 miles.

starting to become a money pit anybody have similar problems with superlift 4"kit

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Why not put her back to stock? Call me an old fart, but I'd rather drive a nice handling truck than one thats lifted. If you don't have a rear sway bar, that might help, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no going back to stock when cutting and welding are involved. Superlift pointed out that since I put the adjustable shocks up front and raised it an extra 2.1 inches I changed the overall suspension geometry. Then when I put600lb of firewood in the bed I squat the rear end and raise the front making the problem even worse, Like having a 1" rear lift and a 7" front lift throws the truck out of balance. I contacted air lift springs and they insist I can use their air bags in the rear even though I have a lift because their bags provide extra resistance against the sides of the coils versus an up and down articulation. I have heard other members get the same story from air lift reps. I would have left it stock if it had more than six inches of ground clearance at the front bumper unlike previous generation dodges which seemed more like trucks than grocery getters. Why not stick with leaf springs and leave the five link for hot rods??

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
You have good shocks. But since they are four years old they may be done. You could check them for rebound. If they are still working the only cure would be airbags.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would have left it stock if it had more than six inches of ground clearance at the front bumper unlike previous generation dodges which seemed more like trucks than grocery getters. Why not stick with leaf springs and leave the five link for hot rods??
I totally agree, I really hate how this generation of Rams are so low in the front end. I always got the same question, this is a 4x4?? Can't tell from the front end...I heard it was because of crash tests and that trucks where doing so much damage to small cars...really,too fringin' bad... if you dont' like getting hit by a Ram, don't buy a Prius :LOL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new shocks are only two years old, only 10,000 miles on them. I contacted superlift and even though I still believe the coils are soft the tech guy had some good input. Since I raised the front end with the bilsteins @2.1 inches in addition to the 4" kit I have leveled the truck. I have also changed the overall geometry of the suspension. Trucks naturally have the rear end higher than the front to accommodate heavy loads in the back. So when I load up a face cord of wood in the bed and squat it about three inches in the rear I am also forcing the already higher front end even more. Ultimately the alignment is off in the front at this point. Couple that with soft coils and loading the rear end more by punching the gas causes the truck to rock side to side.

My last ditch effort to keep this truck $600
*Air ride bags for the coils.
*Hellwigs front and rear
*Adjustable hellwig end links in the back
*New outer tie rod ends, at the alignment shop found side to side play in the "non greaseable, thanks dodge" ball joints. Could explain feathering the outside of the tires
*if this doesn't work it will find its way to a dealers lot for sale!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW ordered tie rod ends from dodge on 9/8. Backordered until 10/7 what a joke. Must be everybody else replacing their crappy ones too. Why take shortcuts with sealed units and only put grease fittings on the 2500 and 3500 definitely adds to lifespan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts