DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post - go easy on me.

My truck rides like crap. I've been putting repairs into it and have everyone stumped as what the cause could be without throwing hundred dollar bills at it.

Specs:
2007 Ram 2500 4x4
Quad Cab
62,500 miles
5.7L Hemi
No Lift
Aftermarket steering stabilizers - 2: dual shock AND rigid plate

I bought the truck in February so it is relatively new to me.

Background:
The truck had a close to death wobble at speed over 55mph. I felt it in the steering wheel and had front U joint replaced and Driver side Upper and Lower ball joints replaced. A week later my driver wheel bearing was squeaking so that was replaced as well. No more steering wheel shake...at all:smileup:

The truck needed new tires so I replaced them and added new rims as well. 285/75/17 I believe. They fit fine with no lift. I felt the truck drove a little too much like a boat so I added 2 steering stabilizers. The rigid steel one for $85 and the Rough country dual shock one for $100.

Truck steering firmed up, it's still a boat but not a very big one.

Fast forward 2 months. 6 hour road trip at 75mph the bouncing becomes a problem. You don't feel it in the steering wheel at all which makes me rule out the front. You feel it in your seat, coming from the bottom of the truck up. Feeling like the back of the truck is bouncing up and down. Enough to see your leg, arms, waterbottle shake.

I took it to one mechanic and he re did the tires at a high speed balance. Keep in mind they are brand new - No Improvement.

Took it to another place and they told me I needed new rear shocks and to replace my rear spring bushings. The truck has 62,000 miles, I didn't believe the spring bushings. And I couldn't get any play out of them with the truck unloaded on the lift.

I installed upgraded rear shocks and they felt very different from the crap OEM ones I took off. Though my problem was solved...it wasn't.

At low speed under 40 you feel minor bumping/bouncing that to anyone else may be un noticable.

Above 45 specifically at 48-52 it is at times a jarring bounce making your teeth chatter. At highway speeds it is there, and annoying, and ruins all driving for anyone involved.

I checked the rest of my U joints and there is no play in any of them.

I have an appointment with a mechanic in a week and would like to know if anyone has had this problem. I'm out of ideas of where to throw money, besides the trash.

Someone please help before I bounce into oncoming traffic with a smile.:str:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not know if they were road force balanced. The new shop I'm taking it to asked that(and has a road force balancer). They are going to rebalance everything if need be.

Boy would I be pissed if it was as simple as a $25 road force balance.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
That's why I always road force balance new tires. Sure, it takes a few more minutes during the install, but goes a long way toward preventing the car from coming back with a balance issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I watched a YouTube Video. I don't remember the Gentleman's name but he did a good job recording numerous mileage intervals how his truck was doing and upgrades he had made. Although he was reporting on a 2015 1500 V6 Diesel, one of his comments was about crappy wheels that Ram put on the truck. He also had a bad wobble and the found out there was mud trapped in between the fake chrome cover on the wheels. He didn't know it till they tried to balance the wheels, they said the wheels were so far out they couldn't balance them. Just a thought. I hope it's that simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts