DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Ram 1500 Express ST | 5.7 Hemi | 6-speed Auto.Trans.| Crew Cab | 4WD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day, Ram Fans.

I recently purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 Express. A previous owner upgraded the radio from Uconnect3.0 to Uconnect5.0. A previous owner also scraped up the rear bumper pretty good, and now I've backed up over a tree stump and did my own minor damage. I've checked with my local Ram dealer here in North Central West Virginia, and the estimated cost to have a backup camera installed all proper with my Uconnect5.0 system is about $850.

Has any member looked into doing the same thing and found a less expensive means? Do I need to shop at different Ram dealers, would that make a difference? To be sure, I don't want a second after-market screen laying on the dashboard. What have you guys and gals found out?

Thanks for your knowledge,

·
Registered
589 Posts
I installed a wireless one that works with a smart phone and not your radio, did the job for hooking up trailer on my 2011 for 100.00 installed myself powered off reverse light

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
You could buy the camera itself online & drill the hole in your current tailgate handle
or
you can buy the complete tailgate handle & camera online, you would have to use your current tailgate lock

I would buy the complete handle, with camera & the complete wiring harness as a kit
Then watch a Youtube video that was made by BriansMobile1, he shows how to do the installation, it is fairly well detailed.

That way you would only be paying for the kit & then paying for the dealer to activate the camera

Reactions: OldChargerGuy

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could buy the camera itself online & drill the hole in your current tailgate handle
or
you can buy the complete tailgate handle & camera online, you would have to use your current tailgate lock

I would buy the complete handle, with camera & the complete wiring harness as a kit
Then watch a Youtube video that was made by BriansMobile1, he shows how to do the installation, it is fairly well detailed.

That way you would only be paying for the kit & then paying for the dealer to activate the camera

Thank you, GTyankee. Looks like the way to go. I really appreciate the tip!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I took my old Ram to an audio guy, who drilled a hole in my handle and put an aftermarket camera in it. He got the system flashed, and all was good.

I paid roughly $300-$400 Canadian for everything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a new 2500 13 modle to pull my fifth wheel camper, I bought a dip down tail gate so I wouldn't tear my gate up if I ever forgot to open it when unhooking, with that tailgate you don't need a camera, so I leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Day, Ram Fans.

I recently purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 Express. A previous owner upgraded the radio from Uconnect3.0 to Uconnect5.0. A previous owner also scraped up the rear bumper pretty good, and now I've backed up over a tree stump and did my own minor damage. I've checked with my local Ram dealer here in North Central West Virginia, and the estimated cost to have a backup camera installed all proper with my Uconnect5.0 system is about $850.

Has any member looked into doing the same thing and found a less expensive means? Do I need to shop at different Ram dealers, would that make a difference? To be sure, I don't want a second after-market screen laying on the dashboard. What have you guys and gals found out?

Search amazon for 2013 ram 1500 tailgate cam there are a few different ones there dont get the one that pivots tho and if you go to best buy they can order a control module from a 3rd party that will allow a back up cam to be installed and work with your factory sterio. They will install the cam even if you dont buy it there. The module was $200 and the cam was like $80 and installation was like $150 for both so all in it was about $430 and thats pricing on the high side but still half off the dealer price :) I like it a lot although my screen is the 4 inch so its really small and sometimes I have to lean forward to line up the ball to the trailer but backing up to the garage or cars no problem sitting comfortably. Hope this helps some people out :)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips shared here for a backup camera installation. As it turns out, I had some wrong information. I recently went to my Ram dealer for factory recall work and I checked out the backup camera kit for my truck while I was there. Parts are $334. I went ahead and bought the kit and planned to do the work myself, except the computer programming would have to be done by the dealer, $110. I asked how much for the entire installation. It is only $178, including the programming. Done deal. For an extra $68, they can do all the work. The camera system gets installed next week for a total of about $512 plus supplies. I was told the highest it would be is about $555.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Day, Ram Fans.

I'd go to an after market sound system (stereo shop) and have them do it. Or Best buy. But Best buy will probably rap(e) you also. But definitely the shop. Had the same issue with my old Ford and a sound shop hooked me up properly. It worked amazing and it only cost me like 250-300$ . Not to shabby at all.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
You might want to ask about the camera itself

I believe there are 3 different cameras from Mopar

1) camera has no guidance lines
2) camera has straight guidance lines, <--- my 2009 Ram had this type
3) camera guidance lines move when you turn the steering wheel, <---- my 2016 has this type & it is GREAT for backing into tight spots

Reactions: OldChargerGuy

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, Ram Fans:

I haven't been here for awhile, so I wanted to update you on that backup camera. It's a good story.

I arrive at the Ram dealer at 8:00 AM for my appointment to install the OEM backup camera system. By lunch time, I suspect it's not going smoothly. By 3:00 PM, I'm sure we have problems. The technician comes to the waiting area and sits next to me.
"Are you sure your radio was working this morning?"
"Yes, it was working fine."
"I can't get it to work at all. I found a blown fuse, replaced it,, but nothing works."
I assured the guy that it was working fine. I wouldn't have showed up for a backup camera installation if my screen was dark. He heads back to the shop.
At 5:00 PM, the service manager sits down with me in the waiting area.
"There's a problem. Your Uconnect5.0 is fried, but we went ahead and installed your camera. We don't know what happened. A new Uconnect5.0 unit will be here in three weeks".

Bummer. I hate working with dealerships. I kept my composure and scheduled the next service for a new Uconnect5.0 installation. At home, I drafted an email to the service manager to politely explain my position: This Uconnect5.0 is on you.

In two weeks, I'm back at the dealer. The new unit was installed, though it took longer than planned. I knew what the installation cost should be for the OEM camera system; that's all I planned to pay. When finished, I paid just $507 for the camera system, its installation, and computer programming; about $50 less than expected. There was no haggling over who should pay for the Uconnect5.0 unit and its installation. The dealership did the right thing. It's likely their technician made a mistake that destroyed the unit, and they owned up to it. I was so pleased with their courtesy and professionalism that I returned a few months later to have the OEM trailer brake controller installed. That job went without a hitch . . . no pun intended.

Kudos to Urse Ram in Fairmont, West Virginia. The service department is trustworthy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts