DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake and abs warning light comes on frequently while driving... sometimes immediately after start up and other times while I am driving.

I took it to the dealer who charged me $ 70 to tell me that it was because the sensor in the master brake cylinder was defective and needed to be replaced. Replacement means the entire master cylinder because the reservoir is attached to it with the sensor.

I am unwilling to go to this much trouble if this is not what is causing the lights to activate. I pulled the sensor connector from the master cylinder and attempted to defeat the warning lights by pushing a wire into the connector. It worked for a few seconds after starting the engine, however the warning lights soon activated again.

SO... I'm not sure replacing the fluid sensor is going to solve my warning light problem.

Has anyone else run into this? And do you have a solution?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
The computer is looking for a voltage from the sensor, so trying to "defeat" it with a wire isn't going to work. Did the dealer give you a list of all the trouble codes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No trouble codes... they told me only that the sensor was defective and as such the brake master cylinder needs to be replaced.

I can replace the master cylinder myself - so I'm looking at @ $ 120 for a new after market unit - but it's a pain to bench bleed it, then to bleed the lines after installation. I will do it, but only if I know that this will fix these warning lights.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
My question to them would be, other than from past history, how do they know it's the sensor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts