DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues with my left front brakes. Had normal noise issues, changed pads and rotors, found a bad caliper so changed it. My brakes from that point on on that side were grabbing hard when doing a hard stop.

I first noticed it going on a fire run. After this I changed the caliper again. It still did it. I then changed the brake hose going to the caliper in case it had trash in it causing it to not fully release because I had brake drag. Checked the caliper after replacing the hose and pistons move like they should. Tested again and it still does it. I'm at a loss and in need of suggestions.

Has anyone encountered this type of issue before? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can think of one possibility:your calipers are mounted with 2 bolts each; the calipers are supposed to "float" on these bolts. Reconditioned calipers may have rusty holes, or the bolts may be rusty.
If you were to remove the wheel and have someone apply the brakes, you should see the caliper move slightly on the bolts, and the tire should turn after release...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I verified this on the last installation. Caliper moves freely and releases. Seems to work fine until you brake hard and then it grabs hard on that one wheel. Only other thing I can think of is the other caliper is possibly weak in comparison.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Come to think of it, you had indeed mentioned that about the calipers on your first post.
About the other caliper, could there be a little air remaining in the caliper; it doesn't take much; at least you've got something else to verify.
Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, we bled all the calipers multiple times to insure there was no air in the lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts