DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on adding an additional brake lamp.:i_rolleyes:...I have been trying to determine the best way to connect it.
Does anyone know if there is a pin on the trailer wiring connector, that is activated by the brake lights? I don't want my added lamp to flash with the turn signals.... I figured that if worse came to worse,:thk: I could make my connection at the under hood fuse panel, or wire it to the above the cab brake lamp,(if I can find where the wires go) but both would require a long run of wiring...figured there must be a better way or location to tap into... I also found a converter for towed vehicles with seperate brake and turn signals, that I believe I could use, but it's about $30.00...If anyone has any ideas, or suggestions...please let me know...I was wondering how those towing receiver caps, the ones that have a brake lamp in them, are wired in?.:4-dontknow:...Thanks

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Good set of questions, where are you wanting to attach or install these extra lights? Yes, one of the pins on the trailer connection would work, but, I couldn't tell you which one. Someone will though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I don't think I can connect to the trailer wiring connector, without the new brake lamps flashing with the turn signals...I'm adding three small led lamps above my rear license plate, in the recess below my tail gate, looks pretty good, just have to get them hooked up and working

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The available connections at the trailer plug are -
Tail Marker (park lamps)
Left Turn/Stop - Flashes with Left turn
Right Turn/Stop - Flashes
Reverse light
Electric brake signal (Variable voltage) - Only available with brake controller
+12V accessory (also charges the trailer battery)
Ground

None of the wiring supports brake light only. :(

However, the white wire on the back of the trailer brake controller (or trailer brake controller connector if you don't have the controller) has the signal your looking for. It has +12v when the brake lights are on. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply and info, after trying a converter used by makers of camper shells to work the brake lamp in the camper shells, which did not work on my truck, I was told about a white wire, which hangs above and to the rear of my spare tire location... If you have the factory tow wiring... Anyway, it is made expressly for the purpose of supplying a BRAKE light only electrical source.... I connected to this wire, and all is working just fine now, too bad Dodge doesn't tell us some if these things in their owners manual, we have to find some of this stuff out by trail and error

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
That is really good information! Thanks for sharing. :rep:

·
Premium Member
32,752 Posts
If you can read a wiring diagram, look at this website
it covers 2004 - 2011
choose your year, model, then your particular cab type
a list will pop up, open the Wiring Diagram
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf