DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 51,000 miles on my longhorn and was wondering what the normal mileage for pad replacement mileage is on a RAM? I realize there are all different driving patterns - but it would be interesting to see what the mileage range is.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I got right around 75k out of mine. Dad got 77k out of his 2009 Ram brakes. I tow more often than he does

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am amazed how much I am getting out of my stock pair. 90K miles and still not replaced.

I wonder if the computer and the 8 speed tranny with lots of downshifting has something to do with it. Or just good quality from the factory? :4-dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I wonder if the computer and the 8 speed tranny with lots of downshifting has something to do with it. Or just good quality from the factory? :4-dontknow:
Both. There was a member a while back who posted his 3500 that has a car carrier hooked to it most of the time had 140k on original brakes. That Jake Brake on the diesel is some next level stuff-your brakes can last a reaaallllly long time with one of those

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,642 Posts
50K is right about the time my front pads started being obnoxiously annoying, tried bedding them multiple times and proceeded to get worse. Replaced the pads only with Z16 ceramic and haven't looked back, no noise and brake dust on the chrome. There was plenty of meat left, just cheap OEM material.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'd argue that the aggressive shifting algorithm in the A8 helps. Slows you down even before you know you want to, leading to less high-speed braking.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Any good suggestions for brake pads and rotors? Bout time to replace mine. Heard the Power Stop Kits are pretty decent
I went with PowerStop and have been very pleased with them

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got about 65,000 on mine and pads seem to be fine BUT i think the rotors might be warping a little.
78000 kilometers on mine. Lots of pad left , but the rotors are warpped a little.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm at 79000 miles and still haven't replaced brakes. I took a look at the pads a few weeks back when I was doing tie rods and they still have plenty of life left in them

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I've got a little over 47k miles on mine and I'm getting ready to replace mine. I just picked up the powerstop Z36 kit to do all four from Summit Racing. They matched AutoAnythings price.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
34,000km on kine, just did the brake service - pins needed cleaning and some Sil Glyde.

Will go Ceramic pads/coated rotors when it’s time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 2002 dodge ram I traded off had 168,000 and something on it with the original brakes still on it. It was a 4.7 , so there was not a whole lot of use in driving crazy w/ it, but I don`t drive the speed limit, and did pull a car trailer for a couple of yrs. before I put brakes on the trailer. They weren`t completely wore out when I traded it, but the rotors were warped some. It had better brakes than anything I have ever owned , up to that point , were 4 wheel disc--------------

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've got 108,000 miles on my 2014 Sport and the dealer service tech said there's still a lot of life left in them, they're the original pads.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Who installs the powerstop kit if you buy it? If you guys are doing it yourselves, who is turning the rotors?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Who installs the powerstop kit if you buy it? If you guys are doing it yourselves, who is turning the rotors?
I installed my Powerstops myself, but I got the kit with new rotors too

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
I installed my Powerstops myself, but I got the kit with new rotors too
Did you install the replacement rotors? Or the drilled/slotted rotors?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts