DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This keeps happening usually from a stop (stop light etc) when I've had the brakes pressed. I hear them grind a little bit and the the ABS light comes on, and the problem seems to go away. A mechanic told me that it has to do with how the brake pads are made. They contain a substance that acts like a magnet, or rocks getting into my brakes. This is a frequent issue, is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Do I just need different pads?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
This keeps happening usually from a stop (stop light etc) when I've had the brakes pressed. I hear them grind a little bit and the the ABS light comes on, and the problem seems to go away. A mechanic told me that it has to do with how the brake pads are made. They contain a substance that acts like a magnet, or rocks getting into my brakes. This is a frequent issue, is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Do I just need different pads?
Hello ram0184,
We are sorry to hear about your recent concern. Your certified dealer will have the appropriate tools to assist you and address any current concerns you may be experiencing. Please do not hesitate to follow-up with us via private message if you decide to go this route and are in need of any additional assistance.
Laura
RamCares

·
Super Moderator
34,569 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean?
It means he left that post so that he will be subscribed to the thread and can follow it.

I know there are metallic pads (I have ceramic ones on my truck) but I would think they would be constructed so as not to develop magnetic attraction to the rotors. Are the spring clips all intact and the slide pins not snagging on anything?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure. I just drove it today and had no problems. Some days like today are better than other days. I don't know alot about these things.

·
Registered
37 Posts
have you had your brakes looked at by a pro? Sounds like you may need a brake job... X2 on the ceramic pads if you need to change those...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your brake hoses. I had to change mine on my 05 2500. I was having the same issue. The best way to check is pull a caliper and try to compress it. If it moves freely it and the lines are good. If it doesn't move freely remove the line and try again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it is my driver's side front brake that is the problem. It started smoking bad today, and smelled like fire. I'll just need to have it checked out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You may have a sticking calipher, give those a check. Did a brake job on my 2012 and the right back was stuck so had to replace it, there were no outward signs of it when driving but when I tried to depress the calipher it was stuck solid. They use phenolic pistons and over time the tend to warp and will cause sticking problems, I wish they still used metal pistons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I just got it back from the shop. They replaced the frozen caliper, and there was a sensor on the rear brakes they replaced. Now it is working just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts