DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know what members have been told about a "break-in" period or mileage for the new truck. I understand it should be driven gently for the first few hundred miles but was wondering if anyone had specific criteria. I want to eventually tow my bay boat (about 5000 lbs) but was told I should not do that right away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I followed the manual. It was not a long break in at all. Dont have my manual in front of me or I would tell you what it is.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Its in the manual. 500 miles no towing and first 500 miles towing keep it below 65 IIRC

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I towed my boat from Pittsburgh to the Florida Keys with about 300-400 miles on it - no harm no foul.
Try to get at least a couple of hundred miles on it with varying loads on the engine and drivetrain. Try not to run it at any sustained rpms or speed.
So back roads with light to heavy varying throttle is the best way to break in the truck.
Change your rear end gear oil every year or two if towing a decent amount - it is easier than changing the engine oil.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Change your rear end gear oil every year or two if towing a decent amount - it is easier than changing the engine oil.

And no filter!

I do mine every 30k or so

·
Registered
115 Posts
As mentioned, first few hundred miles need some varying engine loads including pushing the throttle down a bit from a cruising speed (no burnouts from a standing stop but more of a hard push while already at 30+ mph). This helps set the seals on the motor. I just took mine out on a back road this weekend and ran it up and down a few times and noted an immediate bump on mpg that afternoon. This is also mentioned in the manual.
Also as mentioned, with a tow load keep it conservative at first under 65 and get those first 500 miles on the clock first.

There's not much to it really. New motors and drivetrains are about ready out of the box.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
And no filter!

I do mine every 30k or so

I am doing mine about every 10k miles, but the truck is ONLY used for towing and/or fully loaded cab and bed and for the most part at 70+ mph.

Only my old Dakota, I actually drilled a hole and put a plug in the front and rear differentials for quick easy changes - on the 16 Ram they are already there - sweet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am curious to know what members have been told about a "break-in" period or mileage for the new truck. I understand it should be driven gently for the first few hundred miles but was wondering if anyone had specific criteria. I want to eventually tow my bay boat (about 5000 lbs) but was told I should not do that right away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my 2021 warlock hemi. It seem to me once I got 600 miles on it it had more pep and more power to it. Could that mean once it's broken it this is what happens?

·
Registered
2021 RAM 2500 Tradesman Crew
13 Posts
I just got my 2021 warlock hemi. It seem to me once I got 600 miles on it it had more pep and more power to it. Could that mean once it's broken it this is what happens?
Yup! It should improve with a bit more miles too.

I recall back in the '70s, a new engine would run rough and even stall out. Then at 1500 to 2000 miles the engine would smooth right out. That was a sure sign that things got broken in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts