DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about a months worth of searching Craigslist several times a day, I finally found a canopy to fit my truck. And I can now start my Roof Rack and Drawer System/Sleeping Platform build.

It's a GemTop Outfitter and as it happens, it was actually made to fit my truck, Score! It's actually made of steel rather than aluminum, so it's a bit on the heavy side, but it's very strong.

I removed the "Rack" that was bolted on via the sheet-metal only with 1/4" bolts through 1/2" holes. Sometimes I lose faith in humanity for the smallest things.

Next, I worked to remove the rust with this little beauty:

As of right now, it sits masked and partially primed. Will be working on it again tonight and will update as the project progresses.
Next big question will be how to attach the roof rack. Perhaps I'll put together a few sketches and get y'all's opinion as such.

·
Registered
727 Posts
looks good Brewtus...nice foundation to start from! gotta love those CL finds :smileup:

buddy of mine put a homemade 1"sq tube rack on his fiberglass camper top (for a Tacoma). There were 3" (0.125"th) plates on each corner that he drilled two holes in on opposing corners. He just used zinc hardware with a combination of lock and fender washers with a little blue loctite. I would've drilled larger holes and run bushings through the fiberglass instead so i put all of the pressure on the feet/hardware but his is holding fine after 40k miles. with yours being steel i bet you could use your choice of fasteners and be golden.

structurally speaking, i would work off of the holes for the rack you pulled off in conjunction with some top mounted bolts just inside the radius on the corners. that way you're reinforcing both top load (carrying capacity) and side load (wind drag, getting caught on a limb, etc).

make sense?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Nice! I'm looking forward to your progress! One of my favorite things about this site is being able to see how others outfit their rigs. It's all the things you wish you could do to your own truck scattered out amongst other people's trucks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely want to take them down to the bed rather than attach to the canopy.

So these are kind of the options I've been looking at:

Obviously, one is much more robust than the other, but it requires a bit more fabrication.

Definitely also aware that that load capacity isn't entirely necessary, however, I'm a card carrying member of the church of overkill. And those loads don't include off axis loading or dynamic loads.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To a point, yes. But more focused on off-road/overland than a contractor's rack. So it'll probably be more of a basket than a rack and it'll have lights all the way around, a batwing canopy, shovel and hi-lift mounts, etc.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
To a point, yes. But more focused on off-road/overland than a contractor's rack. So it'll probably be more of a basket than a rack and it'll have lights all the way around, a batwing canopy, shovel and hi-lift mounts, etc.
Oh nice! Can't wait to see it!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Definitely want to take them down to the bed rather than attach to the canopy.

So these are kind of the options I've been looking at:

Obviously, one is much more robust than the other, but it requires a bit more fabrication.

Definitely also aware that that load capacity isn't entirely necessary, however, I'm a card carrying member of the church of overkill. And those loads don't include off axis loading or dynamic loads.
ah, i see...i'm not sure that you have to tie the bed into it. as long as the camper is bolted well to the bed rails, i would think you could use its profile to build your rack/basket off of.

i've seen your thread on gear you carry so i can imagine how you want to use this on your rig. my thought was, you have a steel top. gusset it from the inside and put your basket on.

not trying to oversimplify your goals here, i wish i could commit to turning my truck into a self sufficient rig like this.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps this as an alternative:

Internal supports with small posts through the top of the canopy to which the basket would attach.

I agree, for a basket, it's not strictly necessary to structurally tie the truck to the canopy/rack, but I would like the rack to function in part as a roll bar if SHTF.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

2-3 Coats of Rustoleum Auto Primer:

And 1-2 Coats of Rustoleum Gloss Black:

Now I need to get the back door painted and installed.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That's the nice thing about simple gloss paint colors, you can use rattlecan for stuff like that and not really notice! Looks great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts