DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just recently installed pocket flares that I bought color-matched in bright white GW7/PW7 from Bushwacker, but I’ve started to notice that the color tone isn’t the same as the stock truck paint. The flares have a slightly warmer/brighter tone...maybe because the paint is on bright white plastic and the truck panels are dark metal?

See pics below...

I talked to a few of the local paint shops and they weren’t surprised especially with white, which they say is difficult to match in the first place, but even harder on plastic versus metal.

A couple shops have offered to take a look and see if they can do better than Bushwacker did, but it’ll cost $300-500 depending on the shop.

Who else has white on white flares and do you see the same thing on your Rams? Did you have them custom painted or painted from the flare company? Does the custom paint job match better?

What say you? Thanks, guys! 0C6DD595-DA65-4124-9B9F-7E0C6C44846D_1530327601970.jpg 0C6DD595-DA65-4124-9B9F-7E0C6C44846D_1530327601970.jpg 0C6DD595-DA65-4124-9B9F-7E0C6C44846D_1530327601970.jpg 0C6DD595-DA65-4124-9B9F-7E0C6C44846D_1530327601970.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you didn't mention the issue I wouldn't have noticed. Your truck looks great...

What size wheel spacer you got in there?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So that’s one vote for “I can’t even tell the color difference!”

Thanks, man! Maybe that says it all...

I’ve got 2” spacers in those photos. I used them as a trial to figure out exactly what offset I wanted in a wheel and have decided now to go with 20x10 -24 Fuel Couplers in gloss black.

The wheels should be another 1/8-1/4” further out from the 2” spacers and will only have minor rubbing of the back of the wheel well on the drivers side. They’ll be installed today and I’ll update with some new pics.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I think the fender flare thing is something only you will notice, since you look at it all the time. I can't tell the difference from the photos. Consider that at all times, something is reflecting in your truck creating different shades, I'd just try to let this one go. There are times I'm looking at my pitch black Challenger, thinking that there's a dent or a scuff in it, when it's just the reflection of a tree or the shitty car parked next to mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you guys are right! Most people haven’t noticed it until I pointed it out and even then, they said it’s super subtle. I’ll stick with what I’ve got for now.

Here are some updated photos with the new wheels! I’m definitely liking the stance...it’s flush to slightly outside of the flares with 285’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
You also have to consider that your truck is a year or so old with exposure to the elements etc. So it is not surprise that a part painted with the factory color would be "off".

BTW good body shops dont use color codes - they actually color match to your paint in its current state - but of course that would be the more expensive route. Nice truck either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts