DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new 2012 ram express yesterday, drove it 10 miles to my house and hooked up my trailer then I hit the road for a 10 hour drive to Richmond, VA (687 miles one way)... Once there, I loaded a car on the trailer and pulled the car back home today. I figured it would be a heck of a way to break in the new truck and I sorta had to make the trip to rescue a broken down family member. I was very impressed with the way the new truck handled the load... I really had no complaints about my 2009 5.3 powered Chevy but the new Ram with the 5.7 put my old truck to shame. I was extremely impressed with how much power I still had under my foot even though I was already running 80mph through the mountains of Virginia and Tennessee. Total, I was towing somewhere around 5,000 lbs including my 1300lb trailer and I couldn't be happier with the dodges performance. It was very easy to switch lanes and step on the throttle a bit and pass anything I wanted to pass even going up the mountains with the trailer loaded up. Almost 1400 miles on the truck in 2 days and I've only driven 10 of those miles not hauling a trailer. Over all, I'm very impressed with the comfort and power of the truck and I look forward to many more miles to come

·
Registered
75 Posts
thats awesome to hear. i stepped down from a cummins to this truck and i was wonderiing how well it tows becuase ill be towing in two months. till the fall time with it

·
Registered
47 Posts
@Racecardad05,
I was expecting to read that your truck broke! Glad to hear that these trucks perform so willingly. I have horses and look forward to towing them with my 5.7 express, your post is encouraging! Stay cool truckers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now thats what I like to hear. People so afraid there going to "break it in" correctly. Just drive it man lol. I wish I could have hooked the trailer up on mine when she had 10 miles on it. Your truck will be stronger for it.:smileup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
i dont know about awesome. there is noway you have ever pulled with a diesel than. ill be impressed if it pulls half as good.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I pulled a decent size ski boat 2 hours for some1 my 2nd week of having mine, pulled great! Good to hear everything went smoothly with ur trip as well!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of people these days buy trucks that are way more of a truck than what they actually have a use for... You will never hear me say that a gas engine pulls better than a diesel does but I can say that owning a diesel does not make sense for me... The trucks themselves are way more expensive than a gas truck and maintenance is more expensive (even for small things like brake pads), gas is almost 1.00 per gallon more expensive... So I'll just be happy feeding my little gas truck everyday in my back and forth to work routine and on the weekends when I have to pull a car or my 24ft ski boat, this new dodge will be just fine for the job at hand. I spent 12 years in the army so yes, I've had my share of pulling with diesel trucks and I've had my share of working on those super dirty, leaky engines.... I thank you so kindly for the negative input but I was honestly just trying to share my experience with a first hand real world approach instead of just saying stupid crap like "you've obviously never done blah blah blah"

·
Registered
14 Posts
i dont know about awesome. there is noway you have ever pulled with a diesel than. ill be impressed if it pulls half as good.

Well of course it won't tow like a cummins, or any diesel for that matter. I was more saying for a gas engine. I've heard it's really good

·
Registered
323 Posts
I waited until I had the 500 miles as the manual states. I didin't wont to mess up my warranty. Don't let your service manager know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm very impressed with the towing on mine, I have a 14' cargo trailer and it pulls like it isn't even there. Gas mileage suffers a little - but not that much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts