DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been living an engine replacement nightmare that has gone on months now. I'm crossing my fingers that all is near resolved, but I do have something to deal with and I'm wondering how difficult it is to fix.

It seems in the course of removing the original engine the wiring harness from the engine to the transmission was damaged. The solution...to apply epoxy to it. You should know that going back the person who did the work is not an option.

The result, I have intermittent episodes where the truck will not go into reverse.

I'm wondering if this is something easily fixed or if it requires special skills.

Thanks,

- N

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,955 Posts
Can you provide photos of the epoxy "fix"?

If this was a recent swap, as time goes by more and more connectors will start failing through vibration/elements and could lead to a fire in the worst case.

Electronics are something you either know or don't know, reading schematics and making proper repairs has a bit of a learning curve and not something you can pick up on Youtube if you get my drift. Electricians are at a premium in modern day.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
If you could take a picture of the damaged part, it would help

Are you writing that someone already tried using epoxy or that you are thinking of using it ?

If it is a pigtail harness, where does it start & end ?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,955 Posts
Based on replacement parts the trans solenoid has plenty of slack to replace the plug/ recepticle or worst case, direct connect and seal. The difficulty may be accessing, hopefully some 3rd gen gurus can chime in.

Did the person who performed the work perish? Best of luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. No, the person who performed the work did not perish and since no one will claim responsibility, I'm not spending more time there.

Something interesting. I picked-up the truck this evening. I needed to get it from where it was and back home. At that time the truck ran well and all gears engaged. I stopped at my buddies turned it off and when I left I placed it in reverse which worked but resulted in the check engine light.

I immediately noticed a difference in the engine pick-up than previously. I checked the code and 0841 showed up.

I've read it could be an electrical issue like I thought, or filters, or the solenoid block pack? After months, I'd really love to be back driving my baby. Prior to the check engine, the truck was really performing nice with the new engine.

- N

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, perhaps this is more of a Powertrain question. I'm wondering what people think given the facts:

1. The engine was just replaced.
2. Vehicle sat for a while and then would not go into reverse.
3. Battery was changed (not sure if relevant) and vehicle went into reverse. It stayed like this multiple times.
4. Drove truck yesterday - excellent pick-up. Later started it, went into reverse and P0841 thrown. The vehicle then seemed sluggish especially starting from a stopped position.

I've read it could be purely electrical. I've posted the picture of the epoxy covering the connector. It could be solenoid pack? Filters? What would folks do?

Thank you,

- N

1 - 8 of 8 Posts