DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not sure if the sound will tell you where? But hope it is in the exhaust. Much easier to work on and fix. Are you going to crawl under to check the exhaust (or place on a lift)?

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
How long does the sound last and what is the frequency of the occurrence? If it happens every single time you start the truck when cold, and lasts for about 60-90 seconds, then I'd bet it is a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How long does the sound last and what is the frequency of the occurrence? If it happens every single time you start the truck when cold, and lasts for about 60-90 seconds, then I'd bet it is a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I have exactly what you mention.

·
3,247 Posts
I have exactly what you mention.
Yeah it is about a minute, happens almost every time i start
Then I really think both you of have a broken exhaust manifold bolt or two. It's unfortunate, but I suppose better than the other scenario of an internal engine issue. I went thru this on my 09' Hemi. Had two of them broken on the passenger side, one of which had to be drilled out. It cost me around $800 at my local dealership.

If you both are still within your 5 year/100k mile powertrain warranty, then it should be covered at no cost to you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there a fix for this issue? I hear from a couple of places, its common to have bolts break off due to incompatible metals of Alu heads and steel exhaust. I plan to keep mine up to 200k. I don't want to keep having these issues.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's a fairly common problem. The bolts break because the manifold warps. Most often, I see the rear bolts break on the right (passenger) side first. Then the front bolts break on the left side.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Then I really think both you of have a broken exhaust manifold bolt or two. It's unfortunate, but I suppose better than the other scenario of an internal engine issue. I went thru this on my 09' Hemi. Had two of them broken on the passenger side, one of which had to be drilled out. It cost me around $800 at my local dealership.

If you both are still within your 5 year/100k mile powertrain warranty, then it should be covered at no cost to you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Your stealership charged $800 for that? My last truck an exhaust shop took care of three broken exhaust bolts and put a new muffler and dual exhaust pipes on it for $640 a few years ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a broken manifold bolt only 37k. It is covered under powertrain. With all the little problems i have had now this makes me want to purchase lifetime max care warranty but i was quoted $3600. Any one purchase the max card and what does it cover?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea Cherry, I know is common. i have read many a post, seen many a youtube where people talk about the 5 issues later model rams have. There needs to be a fix. I cant see there being a 5yr PM to exchange your bolts...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Unfortunately this is a problem for all makes of trucks. The engine has aluminum heads and cast iron exhaust manifolds. They heat and cool at different rates which causes the exhaust manifold to warp and pull away from the head causing the bolts to break. My driver side broke while under warranty, so it was covered the passenger side waited to break at 112,000 miles. Each side had the end bolts break and the driver side had one in the middle break as well. The dealer wanted somewhere around $600. After I picked myself up off the floor, one of the mechanics leaving for the day said if I would buy the parts he would fix it for $250. Parts cost $100.00.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After I picked myself up off the floor, one of the mechanics leaving for the day said if I would buy the parts he would fix it for $250. Parts cost $100.00.
Yea Im sure he did. I know when I was working at Dodge years ago, we would see the same job come in soooo many times, we would find the quickest way to get the job done. He probably has some tricks. Tell him I will be right over. for mine. :smileup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just recently started having the same issue with my ram, truck sounds like a tank when started up cold, lasts about 60 seconds. I did notice a couple months back that my exhaust started to change a little at certain RPM almost like a flutter, but now pretty obvious with the new noise issue. Mine seems to be most loud near passenger side which concurs with other post. Lucidly I have lifetime maxcare warranty so should only cost me my $100 deductible. Hopefully you can get your fixed timely as well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
i believe there was one of those not recalls but the other thing when you go in and complain....anyway i had 2 bolts replaced on mine free. That was when it was brand new a few years ago. I dont have any paperwork for it i lost it all in a purge of junk in the house.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
i believe there was one of those not recalls but the other thing when you go in and complain....anyway i had 2 bolts replaced on mine free. That was when it was brand new a few years ago. I dont have any paperwork for it i lost it all in a purge of junk in the house.

TSB/Technical Service Bulletin?

·
3,247 Posts
Wow, do you recall about how many miles you had on your truck when they broke off? The truck was basically brand new?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it happened to me too! my 2010 1500 with 91k miles on it broke two passenger side exhaust manifold bolts. They had to be drilled out and re-tapped. all new bolts were put in on the passenger side and a new gasket. With an oil change it ran me $363.78 today of money I didn't really have but hey I know the work got done right and no more annoying exhaust ticking during start up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts