DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go into my truck yesterday, released parking brake, and noticed the plastic lever didn't quite feel the same. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the lever (handle) had broken off it's hinged contact points. The cable is still attached, the mechanism still works (kind of), but I'd like to replace the handle/lever because I use my parking brake frequently.

I have found what I believe to be a replacement:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com.../HANDLE-Parking-Brake/4347334/1NL97DK2AA.html

or

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com.../HANDLE-Parking-Brake/4534959/1NL97XDVAA.html

(Not sure which one is actually the correct one)

My issue is installation. Does anyone A) Have a clue which of these two is the correct one for a 1500 Crew SLT? B)Have installation documents or a video? I've looked high and low, youtube, google, bing, other forums, no solid answers.

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It's a lighter gray handle, kind of like the lighter gray forum colors.
I could be the one, mine is not Black or dark gray its well gray.

I checked and can only find 2 types, the gray and the beige, here is 2 ebay listing that indicates the color in the compatibility list

This one is gray
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-OEM-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2c0582b2&vxp=mtr

This one is beige
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-OEM-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bf5fccfc&vxp=mtr

hope this helps

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Ok thanks. Any information on installation?
I did mine myself, very easy, there is a clip that you move on the cable to unlock it from the front panel, just move the clip and pull out the head piece of the cable from the handle, put the cable back on and snap the handle onto the two holders at the top, once you look at it you will see its really easy and simple to replace.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. I'm ordering the handle on Monday-I will post an update when I get the piece installed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This past weekend I was able to get the handle on, thanks to those who replied. I ordered the gray one, which was correct, and after some instruction by Asur, I was able to get the handle changed.

First I removed the broken handle by unfastening the white clip holding the rod to the mechanism, then unfastening the red clip on the other end of the connecting rod. I used needle nose pliers to remove the broken hinges, then used a flat tip screwdriver to assist in snapping the new handle on. After, I connected the connecting rod back to the white clip on the back on the handle, then connected the rod to the red clip. Tested, works great! Saved a few bucks too, thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did mine myself, very easy, there is a clip that you move on the cable to unlock it from the front panel, just move the clip and pull out the head piece of the cable from the handle, put the cable back on and snap the handle onto the two holders at the top, once you look at it you will see its really easy and simple to replace.
Thanks for these instructions, the handle on my 2012 just broke so now I know what to do.
:smileup:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yep, I've had to install two on my 2010 since new - sigh. Anyway yeah, it's an easy fix - just not a very durable part.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hunter - I located the first one on ebay, and the second one I ended up getting from Steve White Motors via the internet (in fact, they sell quite a bit on ebay as well). I think I paid like $25.00 plus a couple bucks shipping maybe - can't quite recall...

·
Registered
19 Posts
fixed

I "wimped out" and had the handle replaced by a dealership, so far so good, but I'm being very gentle when I release the brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a replacement parking brake handle for my 2009 Ram 1500: It is the kind that snaps in (i.e., not screw mounted). I had a very difficult time with the snapping part. Finally, I slightly filed the front edges (rounded them) on the two handle arms that snap on to the round plastic bar and applied some silicone grease. The handle then easily snapped into place.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I bought a replacement parking brake handle for my 2009 Ram 1500: It is the kind that snaps in (i.e., not screw mounted). I had a very difficult time with the snapping part. Finally, I slightly filed the front edges (rounded them) on the two handle arms that snap on to the round plastic bar and applied some silicone grease. The handle then easily snapped into place.
lol sounds like the cabin air filter door :doh:

I believe dad's 2009 has a snap in one, and my truck does too. I have almost 60,000 miles and use the parking brake every time I park. No issues yet :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2011 has been broken for a while. I stopped using the PB which I hate to do. Good to know that it is a pretty easy fix.
Mine just broke over this last winter we have had that was pretty bad. I bought the part and have been looking at it for the last couple months. It's a biatch to get the hinged pieces that broke off, out from under the dash because they flop around as you try to pry them off. :doh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine broke over the winter and now that it's warmer it's time to replace it. I looked up the part number at different MOPAR parts sites and come up with 1NL97XDVAB which replaces 1NL97XDVAA. Dealers on Amazon and Ebay have the VAA part. Anyone know the difference between the part numbers? The way I see it, the part itself shouldn't change, because it has to replace the one that has been there since 2010. Is it me or does MOPAR seem to change part numbers often? I've noticed it on other parts or accessories I've researched.

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts