DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has always run great ever since i bought it super cheap and replaced the plugs, cap and rotor. Well finally the timing chain broke. Luckily it happened in my garage!

How do i get everything lined back up again? Cam/crank synchronized?

Is it as simple as cam sprocket dot at bottom, crank dot at top?

When they are lined up should the distributor be pointing at #1 plug wire?

Seems like when the cam sprocket is pointed down the distributor points 180 degrees off.

This is my first post, i wish it was for more enjoyable information. LOL

Oh, this is for a '98 318 c/i

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My truck has always run great ever since i bought it super cheap and replaced the plugs, cap and rotor. Well finally the timing chain broke. Luckily it happened in my garage!

How do i get everything lined back up again? Cam/crank synchronized?

Is it as simple as cam sprocket dot at bottom, crank dot at top?

When they are lined up should the distributor be pointing at #1 plug wire?

Seems like when the cam sprocket is pointed down the distributor points 180 degrees off.

This is my first post, i wish it was for more enjoyable information. LOL

Oh, this is for a '98 318 c/i

Thanks for your help!
Well you're going to want to rotate the crank so either piston number 1 or 5 is at TDC, then you can slap the sprocket on their and the sprocket on the cam and then degree it dot to dot.
When everything is lined up and the number 1 piston is at top dead center then you can install the distributor, the rotor should point at the number 1 that is stamped inside of the distributor.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Yeah, you pretty much have it, except the timing is 180 out. The cam turns two times for every one revolution of the crank so spin it one more turn and make sure #1 plug/cyl (front D/S) is all the way up. Dot to dot and slide the chain and gears back on.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yeah, you pretty much have it, except the timing is 180 out. The cam turns two times for every one revolution of the crank so spin it one more turn and make sure #1 plug/cyl (front D/S) is all the way up. Dot to dot and slide the chain and gears back on.
The weird thing is chrysler has it that the number 5 is TDC when configuring the chain but It's cross plane so when 5 is TDC so is 1. But eitherway.

So you're a warlock???

·
Registered
462 Posts
Motors get weirder all the time, It used to be that the cam turned one revolution for every two revolutions of the crankshaft, I think I'm gonna crawl into a cave somewhere and stay until things get more like my kind of normal again.... You guys make me feel reeealy old!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Motors get weirder all the time, It used to be that the cam turned one revolution for every two revolutions of the crankshaft, I think I'm gonna crawl into a cave somewhere and stay until things get more like my kind of normal again.... You guys make me feel reeealy old!!!!!!!!!
Well the magnum engines are basically the same as it's older cousin, just that they throw some new stuff on it such as multi port fuel injection and things like that. But it's still 1 cam rev per 2 crank revs, it's basically going to have to stay at for as long as it's 4 stroke, 180 degree per stroke.

Now for these really new engines like in these eco cars, I don't want to know lol....

Even the new hemi engines, I don't know why they bother calling them Hemi's because they aren't truely hemispherical like they were back in the 60's and 70's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

2 more quick things, the sprockets can only go on one way of course...right?

It seemed like no matter what, if the cam dot was at the bottom then the rotor always pointed 180 degrees away from #1.

Is it as simple as pulling the distributor and turning it 180?

Please tell me yes. LOL

Thanks for all of the help guys(or gals) :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

2 more quick things, the sprockets can only go on one way of course...right?

It seemed like no matter what, if the cam dot was at the bottom then the rotor always pointed 180 degrees away from #1.

Is it as simple as pulling the distributor and turning it 180?

Please tell me yes. LOL

Thanks for all of the help guys(or gals) :)
No, you can put the sprocket on differently because you can advance or retard timing, generally you do it at the crank. But best to just to dot to dot to avoid the risk of a inop engine.

I believe you should do dot to dot at the top with these engines, I don't remember.
Weight I think it's dot up on crank and dot down on cam.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
The weird thing is chrysler has it that the number 5 is TDC when configuring the chain but It's cross plane so when 5 is TDC so is 1. But eitherway.

So you're a warlock???
No, no. no. If you check out my profile...I was retromodding my 95 ram into a Warlock III (2nd gen). First Gen stopped with the Warlock II in the late 80's.

I wanted a step-side so I started making my own. It's my alter-ego...Mwah ha ha. Poof! (and I'm gone)

P.S. I'm a Guy!

And welcome to the Z!

The sprockets should only go on one way. There may be secondary marks on the cam gear if it's after-market to provide for advanced or rEtArdEd timing. The gears should go on the same and the difference is in the position of the cam when mounting the chain on the sprockets.

You can think of it like a clock. If the keyway for the cam were on the top of the gear and the factory dot were at 6 o'clock...the advance setting would be at 7 o'clock as an example. Then the cam gear would go on and turned counter-clockwise to position it at the advanced stage if the cam had a higher duration or lift. Now forget everything I just said so you don't get confused

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
No, no. no. If you check out my profile...I was retromodding my 95 ram into a Warlock III (2nd gen). First Gen stopped with the Warlock II in the late 80's.

I wanted a step-side so I started making my own. It's my alter-ego...Mwah ha ha. Poof! (and I'm gone)
oh I see. when I read warlock the first thing that came to my mind was the video game my brother played when we were boys.

I should of thought of the dodge warlock first but it was before my time and I don't see that many driving around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, you can put the sprocket on differently because you can advance or retard timing, generally you do it at the crank. But best to just to dot to dot to avoid the risk of a inop engine.

I believe you should do dot to dot at the top with these engines, I don't remember.
Weight I think it's dot up on crank and dot down on cam.
So it seems that its pretty much mistake proof as long as i am dot to dot. I just need to pull the distributor and point it at number one when #1 is at TDC.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
So it seems that its pretty much mistake proof as long as i am dot to dot. I just need to pull the distributor and point it at number one when #1 is at TDC.
yea pretty much if it's dot to do you're safe. the distributor on these engines is to just distribute the spark. now rotating the distributor will not affect timing but it will affect fuel sync. so don't bother trying to change timing by distributor on these things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea pretty much if it's dot to do you're safe. the distributor on these engines is to just distribute the spark. now rotating the distributor will not affect timing but it will affect fuel sync. so don't bother trying to change timing by distributor on these things.

My only remaining issue is that when the cam dot is at 6 o'clock the distributor is 180 degrees away from #1. I have to assume that somehow the distributor got out of synch and i'm hoping i can pull the distributor and turn it to point at #1 when i have the #1 cylinder at TDC.

I don't know how this could have happened, but that's the kind of luck i have. ;)

Also, different topic....how can the ECM control timing when the truck has a distributor?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
dot to dot on the compression stroke, is the key

If you are not on the compression stroke, you would be 180 degrees out

if you pull number one plug, & bring the piston up to TDC, it will almost push your finger away if it is over the spark plug hole on the compression stroke

that is the way i was taught, way back in the day

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My only remaining issue is that when the cam dot is at 6 o'clock the distributor is 180 degrees away from #1. I have to assume that somehow the distributor got out of synch and i'm hoping i can pull the distributor and turn it to point at #1 when i have the #1 cylinder at TDC.

I don't know how this could have happened, but that's the kind of luck i have. ;)

Also, different topic....how can the ECM control timing when the truck has a distributor?
Well back when cars really did have distributors the distributor would either have a weight in it to advance timing or it would use a vacuum advance. Well the distributor in the magnum engines don't have either instead their is a cam position sensor, the distributor in the magnum application is strictly just for distributing the spark to each cylinder and that's it, this is why you cannot do spark advance by rotating the distributor. How does the ECM advance timing? simple, it uses the crank shaft position sensor, cam position sensor to determine the position of the crank and cam then the ECM will change the time the fuel is injected into the cylinder along with chaning the spark. If you notice the ignition system is completely electronic, the ignition coil is connected directly to the ECM and to the rotor in the distributor.

So the ECM controls everything to make the engine operate, hense Engine Control Module.
The O2 sensor pre cat one is used to monitor the O2 flow so the ECM knows if the mixture is lean or rich and can adjust when required.

From the chrysler 5.2l factory rebuild manual they want it the number 5 cylinder to be TDC when degreeing the cam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts