DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,
We live in the country, and our trucks show it. The white '06 Hemi is driven 130 miles a day, bright and early, then just when it's getting dark. While white is great for hiding dirt-- just changes shades-- Bug splats stand out real loud and I know they're bad for the paint. I've been having to scrub bugs off of it every night.

I'm currently using RainX bug and Tar remover. While it works, I'm not entirely impressed. I feel like all it's really doing is spraying grease on the problem.

What Bug and Tar remover do you guys and gals recommend? Why?
I'm looking for a good balance of results and price.

Thanks in Advance! :smileup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't have the same issue so I can't help with fixing it but I can help with preventing damage to your paint job...

If you wanted to, you could order some clear plasti dip and pray the front of the truck which would create a protective and peelable bra. So when it got to bad, you peel it off and spray on a new one.

I know someone who does that for long trips on the highway. As soon as he gets home there's no evidence of any bugs ever having been there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
For the bugs use Detailers Pro roadkill and for the tar use CarPro Tar-X and pair the Detailers Pro Roadkill with a Pinnacle safe scrub bug and tar pad.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Homemade Bug & Tar Removers :)

saturate the spots with linseed oil. Allow the oil to soften the tar for a few minutes and you'll find that the grime rubs right off with a piece of coarse cloth.

Instead of using abrasive bug and tar removers that can strip off wax, use peanut butter. Just rub a little on the spot with a clean rag and the tar will start coming off. Safe for your paint and earth friendly.

To remove tar spatters from your vehicle, spray with Avon Skin So Soft on the tar, let it set a minute or so and wipe off.

WD-40 & a soft cloth

Take road tar off you car by smearing it with butter. Leave on overnight and wipe it off in the morning with a rag.
( Every animal in the area would also making your vehicle a visit )

·
Registered
270 Posts
Longer term solution to protect would be a clear bra. But to remove the bugs I find all purpose cleaner works pretty well. I have tried many different bug removers and honestly they are all the same to me. All of them work the same as APC, so might as well save some money. Best is to remove them as soon as possible. I let the bugs soak with APC for 1 minutes after a rinse. Then microfiber wash mitt and hope for the best. Also I use sealant and wax so that helps save the paint a bit.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
carpro tar x, stoner's tarminator or Duragloss 471

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions and sorry I didn't respond sooner -- been fighting with a bumper, long story-- so I'm not responding to every post. But! I'll definitely be doing some homework on this stuff!

Love where I live, love the white Ram, don't love the bugs or tar, if you can imagine that. :LOL:

But thanks so much! I've heard of a few, and I love Autogeek (Thanks to PaulMys on that one!)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I find rain water washes bugs away quicker than windshield washer fluids do when you have a whack of bugs on the windshield. It should also work for the bumpers and best of all its free.

·
Registered
204 Posts
A car buddy of mine told me that Naptha (paint thinner) works. Just make sure the truck is warm when you do it. It makes it a hell of a lot easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts