DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck on what I want to do, my current truck is an 04 2500 hemi with 205xxx on it, it has been the best truck and carries a ton of sentimental value. I have had zero problems with it but i am just waiting for something to go wrong.

The way i see it i have 2 options, start building a new hemi now, super charger cam etc, i want good towing power and some speed, not a race truck by any means as this is my daily i just want power. Second buy a 5.9 ive been looking at 04 laramie 3500 with 142xxx it was some guys camper tower its flawless. that truck will cost me about 11k more than ill sell my hemi for if i have to.

mainly im towing a car, atvs, or a skid from time to time. I also have no desire to get anything past the common rail 5.9s

so all things considered can i get the power i want from a built hemi or is it time to say goodbye to my truck of 12 years?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats the way im leaning, weird how attached we can get to these trucks. did you build a motor outside of the truck or pull the stock one for the build?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
thats the way im leaning, weird how attached we can get to these trucks. did you build a motor outside of the truck or pull the stock one for the build?
Bought a 1994 van engine that was used for city delivery work. Aka it was in such good condition it didn't have any abnormality in the bores and didn't even need to be decked.

Much much easier to build one with the original still running.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
If you like her that much keep it, mine was 12 years old too with over 160k on it when I did my build.
13k/year? weak :LOL:

OP, I would recommend doing the build. Partly because I plan on doing something similar when my truck is older- pick up a used Eagle and swap in forged main caps, rods, pistons, crank and an Edelbrock blower or something.

You clearly like your truck, what could be more rewarding than a custom engine to liven it up after all these years?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
13k/year? weak :LOL:

OP, I would recommend doing the build. Partly because I plan on doing something similar when my truck is older- pick up a used Eagle and swap in forged main caps, rods, pistons, crank and an Edelbrock blower or something.

You clearly like your truck, what could be more rewarding than a custom engine to liven it up after all these years?
Oh lol, weak huh? I only put 2k on it a year!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feeback guys, I'm keeping it. The custom engine will just make it that much more special, or get that crate hell cat some day. Ill post on here when i get the ball rolling on everything.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Oh lol, weak huh? I only put 2k on it a year!
Weaker :gy:

Is the 6.2 available as a crate? There is a gen 3 426 crate Hemi that is ripe for a supercharger. There's also a 572 but its carbureted

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
572 is a second gen new casting no?
Yeah my bad, I should have clarified that when I said it was carbureted. IIRC they increased the block thickness too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.