DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had projectors or HIDs in my last few vehicles. I haven't done a bulb upgrade since I put Silverstars in my old 2007 Expedition. I liked the SS bulbs and they were an improvement. I considered it a decent upgrade at the time.

So what's new these days? What's a simple plug and play, true upgrade that I can replace the halogen's in my 2015 Outdoorsman? :4-dontknow:

I don't care to do a HID or projector upgrade...just a bulb.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have had projectors or HIDs in my last few vehicles. I haven't done a bulb upgrade since I put Silverstars in my old 2007 Expedition. I liked the SS bulbs and they were an improvement. I considered it a decent upgrade at the time.

So what's new these days? What's a simple plug and play, true upgrade that I can replace the halogen's in my 2015 Outdoorsman? :4-dontknow:

I don't care to do a HID or projector upgrade...just a bulb.

Thanks!!
Hey dude I'm assuming you're running quads.

FYI: silverstar ultra's are a sham. The regular silverstars aren't too bad because they aren't heavily tinted to filter out yellow light. Phillips Xtreme Vision are one of the best bulbs on the market.

If you really wanna supercharge those quads you can do an H9 swap for the H11 in the low beam. This will yield about 2100 lumens from 1250, so almost double the light output. Because the low beam has a glarecap this shouldn't cause glare to other road users. I haven't actually tried this swap myself but theoretically it'll work. The stock circuit is rated for 15amps so even with the extra 10W you're no where near the limit.

For the highbeam you can run 9011's in place of the 9005's so that'll bring you from 1700 to 2300 lumens.

For the H9's just get regular phillips bulbs. They don't make any special lines for H9, but the upgrade on it's own will be whiter and way brighter. Life is shorter on the h9 compared to the H11 but that's about the only downside. But since you're just buying regular H9's they're cheap :)

For 9011's just get phillips(Or wagner...) as well.

You will need to trim the tabs a bit with nail clippers but this will take you about 5 mins.

Just google H11 to H9 swap.

For the 9005 to 9011

Should be pretty obvious when you take your 9005 out of the highbeam and hold it up to the 9011 what needs doing same with the h9 vs the h11.

You'll notice this upgrade big time lol :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kelaog!
Yes, I've got the Quads. That's good info. I'm going to take a look at this and might make that switch. Seems simple enough and net me some brighter lights.

Yep I just changed to SilverStars in the past....

Any suggestions for the fogs???

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thanks kelaog!
Yes, I've got the Quads. That's good info. I'm going to take a look at this and might make that switch. Seems simple enough and net me some brighter lights.

Yep I just changed to SilverStars in the past....

Any suggestions for the fogs???
the 9005 to 9011 highbeam one speaking from experience was stupid simple...Nail trimmers :)

I haven't done an h11 to h9 swap myself but googling pictures it looks easy. You won't beat the lightout put of either of these upgrades not by a long shot with any drop in bulb replacement :).

You got the verticals or horizontals?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the 9005 to 9011 highbeam one speaking from experience was stupid simple...Nail trimmers :)

I haven't done an h11 to h9 swap myself but googling pictures it looks easy. You won't beat the lightout put of either of these upgrades not by a long shot with any drop in bulb replacement :).

You got the verticals or horizontals?

Vert fogs here.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Vert fogs here.
Those come with a 9006. Your truck came stock with long life bulbs everywhere except the fogs so you won't really see an improvement in a simple bulb swap especially here.

Truth be told the foglights aren't going to really give you any improvement in vision. There purpose is simply to illuminate the road lines and the edges of the road in fowl weather. Technically you could put a 9012 HIR2 bulb in place of the 9006 based on that picture I sent you but the absense of a glarecap will cause discomfort to road users around you. If you're choice is to use these off road only, put whatever you want in there. HID. HIR, LED, what have you.

The upgrades I mentioned to you before will improve your lighting so drastically I don't think you'd even notice that the fog lights were on.

My advice? Make the bulb changes above and see if you need additional foreground lighting. If you do, spend some money on fancy 9006's for the fogs. But considering they won't help you see any farther, I'd put that money elsewhere. I haven't actually verified on whether or not the fogs have a built in glarecap or not.. The horizontal ones don't, so I imagine the vertical ones do not either.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those come with a 9006. Your truck came stock with long life bulbs everywhere except the fogs so you won't really see an improvement in a simple bulb swap especially here.

Truth be told the foglights aren't going to really give you any improvement in vision. There purpose is simply to illuminate the road lines and the edges of the road in fowl weather. Technically you could put a 9012 HIR2 bulb in place of the 9006 based on that picture I sent you but the absense of a glarecap will cause discomfort to road users around you. If you're choice is to use these off road only, put whatever you want in there. HID. HIR, LED, what have you.

The upgrades I mentioned to you before will improve your lighting so drastically I don't think you'd even notice that the fog lights were on.

My advice? Make the bulb changes above and see if you need additional foreground lighting. If you do, spend some money on fancy 9006's for the fogs. But considering they won't help you see any farther, I'd put that money elsewhere. I haven't actually verified on whether or not the fogs have a built in glarecap or not.. The horizontal ones don't, so I imagine the vertical ones do not either.
Makes sense. I think maybe most folks just upgrade fogs for looks. I might just add some LED bars for giggles down the road....depends on how much I want to add to the truck. But that's a project for a much later day.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Makes sense. I think maybe most folks just upgrade fogs for looks. I might just add some LED bars for giggles down the road....depends on how much I want to add to the truck. But that's a project for a much later day.

Thanks for the help!
Yeah if you just want them to look blue, get some blue looking bulbs and toss those in. Fog lights are pretty much useless on all factory cars these days anyway. Although blue foglights are pretty much worthless because they will glare and reflect off of fog/snow/rain.

Lightbars kickass for flood lighting off road, camping, etc... My buddy has them mounted sideways in the bed of his truck just for lighting up the camp site lol.

Be sure to post up your results with the H9 and 9011 swaps :D I'm relatively sure you're gonna be pleased.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah if you just want them to look blue, get some blue looking bulbs and toss those in. Fog lights are pretty much useless on all factory cars these days anyway. Although blue foglights are pretty much worthless because they will glare and reflect off of fog/snow/rain.

Lightbars kickass for flood lighting off road, camping, etc... My buddy has them mounted sideways in the bed of his truck just for lighting up the camp site lol.

Be sure to post up your results with the H9 and 9011 swaps :D I'm relatively sure you're gonna be pleased.
Yes I imagine you could get pretty creative with the LED bars. I've got some thinking to do on that because we've started camping more and more. More lighting at certain times would be handy.

Anyway, I'll try to get some before/after pics and report back.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Hey dude I'm assuming you're running quads.

FYI: silverstar ultra's are a sham. The regular silverstars aren't too bad because they aren't heavily tinted to filter out yellow light. Phillips Xtreme Vision are one of the best bulbs on the market.

If you really wanna supercharge those quads you can do an H9 swap for the H11 in the low beam. This will yield about 2100 lumens from 1250, so almost double the light output. Because the low beam has a glarecap this shouldn't cause glare to other road users. I haven't actually tried this swap myself but theoretically it'll work. The stock circuit is rated for 15amps so even with the extra 10W you're no where near the limit.

For the highbeam you can run 9011's in place of the 9005's so that'll bring you from 1700 to 2300 lumens.

For the H9's just get regular phillips bulbs. They don't make any special lines for H9, but the upgrade on it's own will be whiter and way brighter. Life is shorter on the h9 compared to the H11 but that's about the only downside. But since you're just buying regular H9's they're cheap :)

For 9011's just get phillips(Or wagner...) as well.

You will need to trim the tabs a bit with nail clippers but this will take you about 5 mins.

Just google H11 to H9 swap.

For the 9005 to 9011

Should be pretty obvious when you take your 9005 out of the highbeam and hold it up to the 9011 what needs doing same with the h9 vs the h11.

You'll notice this upgrade big time lol :)
Thanks for sending me here from the other thread:smileup:

You mentioned that there is no concern about the electrical draw going from H9s to H11s; if I were to do that and also swap my brights from 9005s to 9011s would there be any cause for concern over the amount of draw?

This is a much cheaper alternative to the HIDs I had been looking at, I like the look of the stock quad assemblies but just wish they were a bit brighter. The high beams are fine, though I don't want them dimmer than my lows so I'll probably do both mods; I won't worry about the fogs. I don't want the cost of HIDs or the shenanigans of mounting ballasts and stuff.

You also mentioned that doing the low beam mod would yield 400 more lumens over the stock high beams. Is this going to make me an LED (Light Emitting Douchebag) like the guys who put LEDs (bulbs in this context) in stock halogen reflector housings? I don't want to blind people, I just want to see better at night and when its wet, and I would also prefer not to get citations.:shy2:

Also what about heat? Is there any cause for concern about melting the housings or anything? I know that on the quads when you flick on the brights the lows stay on too.

I realize these are probably pretty simple and basic questions for you since you seem to know a lot about lighting and electrical stuff, however it is all pretty new for me, so your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
THorse, good questions and I am now seriously considering this too, since I also found other options like LEDs, HIDs, etc unattractive for cost, complexity, reliability, and safety reasons like you.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You give me too much credit, but I'll do my best to help you out.

Thanks for sending me here from the other thread:smileup:

You mentioned that there is no concern about the electrical draw going from H9s to H11s; if I were to do that and also swap my brights from 9005s to 9011s would there be any cause for concern over the amount of draw?
For the highbeams, the 9011 is rated at 65W so is the 9005, so no concerns about current draw or heat here. The 9011 is simply a tightly controlled gas mixture which allows for a longer bulb life and more lumens than the 9005. It is identical otherwise to the 9005.

For the h9 to H11, you will be going from 55W to 65W, so yes there is some additional current draw. Following ohms law we get 4.58amps at 12V/55W and 5.416amps at 12V/65W. Considering both lowbeam and highbeam feed wires are the same size, I'd say that you'll be fine pulling 1amp more. When you have both on you'll have roughly 10amps pulling through the ground wire. Rambodybuilder wiring guide says the 18GA wires are rated for 15 amps. I believe the factory wiring is 16ga for the headlight so you've got capacity here. If you're really worried, run a spare ground wire, OR run the lowbeam off of a relay. The TIPM is rated for 15 amps continuous draw on this circuit, so again you have capacity for an extra amp. I wouldn't exceed this, so don't go putting 100W bulbs in.

You also mentioned that doing the low beam mod would yield 400 more lumens over the stock high beams. Is this going to make me an LED (Light Emitting Douchebag) like the guys who put LEDs (bulbs in this context) in stock halogen reflector housings? I don't want to blind people, I just want to see better at night and when its wet, and I would also prefer not to get citations.:shy2:
Highbeams does not mean brighter. It means they are aimed higher. Brighter the better for a high beam IMO. These will not change the aim as they are optically identical to the 9005 they'll be replacing. If you have your highbeams on with other oncoming traffic on you are a DBAG regardless of what bulb you have on. My lowbeams are bright as hell but they are aimed well below peoples eyes so it doesn't bother them.

Far too often I hear things like "I put hid's in my lowbeams and people flash me because they are so bright and must think I have my highbeams on, so I flash them back to quickly show them that those are just my lowbeams" Again, highbeam has nothing to do about brightness and everything to do about aiming higher for further vision. Even a dim highbeam that is aimed into someones eyes "on coming" will blind them. When you put an HID into a lowbeam you cannot aim them sharply so the glare is blinding people, not the brightness. If and when you do this swap make sure your lights are aimed properly. These should not cause glare to oncoming traffic because they are optically compatible with your reflector unlike an HID or LED.

Also what about heat? Is there any cause for concern about melting the housings or anything? I know that on the quads when you flick on the brights the lows stay on too.
The lowbeam housing is much bigger than the highbeam housing, so if the 65W highbeam isn't melting your highbeam housing I see no reason why there would be too much heat in the lowbeam housing.

Hope that helps ya :)

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Feel free to keep the q's coming.

Friends don't let friends use LED's glued on a stick.
Can i tape them on a stick instead? LED's... on a stteeeeeeck.

I will use electrical tape and everything ;)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Can i tape them on a stick instead? LED's... on a stteeeeeeck.

I will use electrical tape and everything ;)
Perfect. Make sure you run a 50W load resistor in addition so you can take advantage of all the power savings...

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Perfect. Make sure you run a 50W load resistor in addition so you can take advantage of all the power savings...
Only if I can aim them to both give me a ton of foreground lighting and blind all oncoming traffic so I have no distance vision and everyone swerves off the road to avoid me.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Only if I can aim them to both give me a ton of foreground lighting and blind all oncoming traffic so I have no distance vision and everyone swerves off the road to avoid me.
On a serious note you have a 2016 laramie which for whatever reason uses 9005's in the low and highbeam.

So you can run 9011's in both. It will give you excellent, effective, and safe lighting.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kelaog I'm about the do this and I'm looking at H9 bulbs. I'm finding the standard Halogen and also a couple of "white" or "extreme white" bulbs from PIAA in the H9. Should I steer clear of those as well?
Part number
PIA19165

Am I over analyzing this? LOL!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought the H9s the other day and did the swap this Sunday. Haven't been able to take the truck on an extended trip yet but from what I can tell in the yard it's a definite improvement.

Note, they are different from the 9006 conversion where you have to sand down an external tab, which is what I was expecting when I started to do the project. I tried using something to sand it down but that was quite difficult. In the end, I found the best way to modify the bulbs was to take a small chisel (narrowest one I had) and chisel out the tab internal to the plug. I made sure it was good and sharp first and made sure the bulb was supported before I started chiseling but it came apart nice and easy after that.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Kelaog I'm about the do this and I'm looking at H9 bulbs. I'm finding the standard Halogen and also a couple of "white" or "extreme white" bulbs from PIAA in the H9. Should I steer clear of those as well?
Part number
PIA19165

Am I over analyzing this? LOL!!
Get standard halogens. "Extreme white" are marketing performance not actual performance.

Just get a regular phillips h9 :).

razor blade will work well for trimming. especially if you heat it up any with a lighter for example. I'd love to hear how your results are.

1 - 20 of 359 Posts