DODGE RAM FORUM banner

241 - 260 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kelaog, many many Thanks for your efforts. All housings and bulbs are scheduled for delivery this Friday. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well...........Shoot!

Hello everyone, just a follow up on my Light Housings & Bulb replacement. Everything arrived today & is installed. I'm happy to say I DO have much more usable light but unfortunately a lot of it is in the ditch on the right side of the road.
Hi beams (9011's) are fine, but low beams (H9's) drift to the right 3 to 5 feet around 30 feet out. I have yet to know why, at first I wanted to blame the aftermarket housings but Hi Beam is spot on so that leads me to think it's how the H9's are oriented in the socket.
I found a housing being disassembled on Utube and the pins were in the 6 o'clock position, mine are not. I find it hard to believe that orientation plays a role but that's all I can think of right now. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'd be happy to hear them. It may take a night or two but I will win.
jshillin, can't say on the napa brand I went with Wagner $13 ea. online.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hello everyone, just a follow up on my Light Housings & Bulb replacement. Everything arrived today & is installed. I'm happy to say I DO have much more usable light but unfortunately a lot of it is in the ditch on the right side of the road.
Hi beams (9011's) are fine, but low beams (H9's) drift to the right 3 to 5 feet around 30 feet out. I have yet to know why, at first I wanted to blame the aftermarket housings but Hi Beam is spot on so that leads me to think it's how the H9's are oriented in the socket.
I found a housing being disassembled on Utube and the pins were in the 6 o'clock position, mine are not. I find it hard to believe that orientation plays a role but that's all I can think of right now. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'd be happy to hear them. It may take a night or two but I will win.
jshillin, can't say on the napa brand I went with Wagner $13 ea. online.
The orientation plays a big part in how the light shines. The only reason the H9 works at all is the filament is in the same location as the H11.
Spot on information.

The actual bulb has some variences as well. I have heard Wagner buys Osram stock (could be off Osram spec but still meets the h9 minimum specifications)

That could be the reason for the mal alignment. If both highbeams are dead on and the low beam is off then I'd suspect the same as you and not misaligned housings. It could be the bulb is not correctly seated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just installed mine about 30 minutes ago, probably won't get to drive it at night until the weekend. I'm waiting on my reprogrammed gauge cluster to get back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It took a while but the trouble was limited to the passenger headlight housing. There was a broken internal fastener which allowed the reflector to move left to right at least 1/2".
Many, many Thanks to all involved.
I couldn't be happier, the proof is in the pics.

Old.jpg

Low Beam.jpg

Hi Beam (1).jpg

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wow, 25 pages and I'm more confused! I like the idea of a light upgrade and it's simplicity.

I have a 2017 Laramie w/ projectors. From what I gather the main benefit is to upgrade the high beams to Phillips 9011 and leave the low beams stock? Since I rarely drive with high beams I would prefer to upgrade the low beams. Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Wow, 25 pages and I'm more confused! I like the idea of a light upgrade and it's simplicity.

I have a 2017 Laramie w/ projectors. From what I gather the main benefit is to upgrade the high beams to Phillips 9011 and leave the low beams stock? Since I rarely drive with high beams I would prefer to upgrade the low beams. Suggestions?
The upgrade it to put 9011s in the high beams instead of the stock 9005s, and H9s in the low beams instead of the stock H11s.

9011s make 2300 lumens compared to the 1700 lumens the stock 9005 highbeam bulbs make.

H9s make 2100 lumens compared to the 1250 lumens that the stock H11 lowbeams make.

So, with this mod your low beams will be brighter than your stock high beams, and your high beams will see a big improvement in output.

This is ok, because our headlight housings have glare shields that work with these bulbs, that keep the light out of other drivers' eyes as long as they are aimed properly.

In comparison, HIDs or LEDs dropped into these housings will not produce the light at a point compatible with the glare shield and will not focus properly, so you won't be able to see as well and will blind oncoming traffic.

Headlights are not only designed to shine and focus light in certain areas, but also to not cast light in other areas (i.e. other drivers' eyes), so it is important to use bulbs like h9s and 9011s that are compatible with the housings when you upgrade; and not to use LEDs or HIDs in these housings which are not designed to work with the reflectors and glare shields.

Make sense? :wavey:

·
Registered
230 Posts
The upgrade it to put 9011s in the high beams instead of the stock 9005s, and H9s in the low beams instead of the stock H11s.
9011s make 2300 lumens compared to the 1700 lumens the stock 9005 highbeam bulbs make.
H9s make 2100 lumens compared to the 1250 lumens that the stock H11 lowbeams make.
So, with this mod your low beams will be brighter than your stock high beams, and your high beams will see a big improvement in output.
This is ok, because our headlight housings have glare shields that work with these bulbs, that keep the light out of other drivers' eyes as long as they are aimed properly.
In comparison, HIDs or LEDs dropped into these housings will not produce the light at a point compatible with the glare shield and will not focus properly, so you won't be able to see as well and will blind oncoming traffic.
Headlights are not only designed to shine and focus light in certain areas, but also to not cast light in other areas (i.e. other drivers' eyes), so it is important to use bulbs like h9s and 9011s that are compatible with the housings when you upgrade; and not to use LEDs or HIDs in these housings which are not designed to work with the reflectors and glare shields.

Make sense? :wavey:
By George, I think I got it now!

9011's high
H9's low

Off to Amazon...

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
By George, I think I got it now!

9011's high
H9's low

Off to Amazon...
Not quite if you have projectors 2016+

9011's high, and low. I think TH missed your comment about having a 2017 laramie w/ pj's.

2016+ the projectors started using 9005 SL+ which is identical in output to a 9012 (1875 lumens). Dont' confuse the 9005 SL+ with the regular 9005 which is only 1700 lumens. That's why you can swap a 9011 which is 2350 lumens.

I've probably confused you.

Long story short:

Quad upgraded bulbs:
Low = h9
high = 9011

2016+ Projectors
Low = 9011
High = 9011

2013 and below projectors
Low = 9012 (stock)
high = 9011

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not quite if you have projectors 2016+
9011's high, and low. I think TH missed your comment about having a 2017 laramie w/ pj's.
2016+ the projectors started using 9005 SL+ which is identical in output to a 9012 (1875 lumens). Dont' confuse the 9005 SL+ with the regular 9005 which is only 1700 lumens. That's why you can swap a 9011 which is 2350 lumens.
I've probably confused you.
Long story short:
Quad upgraded bulbs:
Low = h9
high = 9011
2016+ Projectors
Low = 9011
High = 9011
2013 and below projectors
Low = 9012 (stock)
high = 9011
Thankfully didn't buy any yet.

Phillips 9011's high and low!

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Whoops, my bad, thought you were asking about quads

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not that I'm an advocate for this kind of thing but an HID kit in the low beam is gonna give you what you're looking for, but it does have its draw backs. There is only so much a halogen bulb swap can do. After that you're looking at a full on projector (FXR) swap.

Truth be told I was happy up north with the 9012/9011 combo in the projectors but this just turned into a hobby :p.
When you did your HID upgrade, did you notice any radio interference? I had a 2015 Ford Fusion that I put HID's in and when the lights were on there was so much radio interference, it was essentially unusable. Only time the radio worked was if I was within a couple miles of the transmitter

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
When you did your HID upgrade, did you notice any radio interference? I had a 2015 Ford Fusion that I put HID's in and when the lights were on there was so much radio interference, it was essentially unusable. Only time the radio worked was if I was within a couple miles of the transmitter
I had no issues with this. Use quality components and you won't have an issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Question

Any help would be appreciated. I picked up a 9145 lamp for the fog lamp on my 2014 ram with quads. I noticed that a 9006 lamp is the same plug. The wattage is 65w and it has a glare cap. the 9145 is only 45w. would it be to much for a fog lamp. I drive the highway at night and want a bit more light. I already have the H11 to H9 swap in the works if it wasnt -20 outside. any help and thanks for the thread. its been good reading.

241 - 260 of 359 Posts