DODGE RAM FORUM banner

341 - 359 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
As the nights get longer and darker, I'm becoming less and less impressed with my 9011's and am going to swap back to my Silverstars this weekend for some perspective, at least in the low beams anyways.

High beam performance is still beyond any expectation so I'm mostly looking to increase my low beam coverage. The 9011's may throw light further down the road but I find myself wanting more light in the first couple hundred feet like my Wife's Honda.

I still have my OEM bulbs too so I may do a back to back to back comparison on the garage door and street and grab pics of each. A step I failed to do prior to any of my previous upgrades.
Bulbs do age over time as the gas mixture leaks out a bit. Perhaps it's time for a new set. How long did you have them in?

It's a simple game of lumens and ratings.

The dimmest H9 brand new will produce significantly more lumens than the BRIGHTEST available H11.

The spec is
70w maximum, 1760-2240lm for H9
versus 59w maximum, 1100-1400lm for H11

So your silverstars are going to be in the upper end of that range (1300-1400 lumens). The stock long life h11 bulbs are on the bottom end ~1100 lumens. Where as, the worst performing H9 is still out performing your high end silverstar bulb.

:smileup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have projectors so mine are the 9011's and are only a couple months old at this point.

I am more than certain that they are still brighter than my OEM and Silverstar's, I've just lost that perspective now that I've gotten used to them.

So, it's not that they aren't brighter or better than what I had before, I'm just wanting more regardless.

So, I'm not sure what my next move is. Is there a better bulb than the Philips 9011 like the Toshiba H1R1? Do I just bite the bullet and go HID?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have projectors so mine are the 9011's and are only a couple months old at this point.

I am more than certain that they are still brighter than my OEM and Silverstar's, I've just lost that perspective now that I've gotten used to them.

So, it's not that they aren't brighter or better than what I had before, I'm just wanting more regardless.

So, I'm not sure what my next move is. Is there a better bulb than the Philips 9011 like the Toshiba H1R1? Do I just bite the bullet and go HID?
You're correct. I can switch my HID ballasts from 30 to 50W Mini D2S and within a week I got use to it and at times I wonder if they're working correctly :SHOCKED: lol.

The phillips 9011 is far superior to the original Toshiba H1R1. While they are no longer infrared reflective the luminosity output is equivalent to the H1R1 specification.

Your next step is to retrofit in a Mini D2S 4.0 or FXR and go with HID. HID in halogen projectors is about half as good as a real HID projector. My $.02

·
Registered
463 Posts
I believe part of my issue to be a dud bulb as well. The bulb in my drivers side low beam has always been less focused and dim. I had originally attributed it to the design of the housing to not glare oncoming traffic but now I am ready to just a different bulb.

EDIT: IIRC, I already tried swapping the high beam to the low and the issue never changed, which is why I originally assumed it was a design issue rather than a bad bulb. The alignment from low to high is way off as well so maybe I actually have a poorly formed housing.?.?.?

I grabbed this pic as I was leaving the house this morning.

High Beams, (prior to any alignment)

Low Beams, (prior to any alignment)

My truck will be paid off at the end of January so I'm seriously thinking of just upgrading to LED Projectors.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've come across a few different references now where others have found that the drivers side housing is less focused and it's been mentioned that this is indeed by design as I had suspected

So;

Your next step is to retrofit in a Mini D2S 4.0 or FXR and go with HID. HID in halogen projectors is about half as good as a real HID projector. My $.02
I've been researching these kits all morning and I think you have me convinced to take the plunge with the Mini D2S 5.0 kit and a set of 35W HID's.

90% of my driving is with traffic where I can't utilize my high beams so my lows have to be capable of doing all the heavy lifting. The 35Watt in 4500K seem to offer the most Lumens with the best all weather visibility and longest life but I can't help but wonder if the 50Watt would be just that much better?

$255 for the 2015+ Mopar Morimoto Elite HID kit
http://www.morimotohid.com/2015-mopar-morimoto-elite.html

or $412 for the Mini D2S 5.0 Projector kit.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-dodge-ram.html?carDisplay=2017+Dodge+Ram+(Projector+Lights)+1500&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

The complete kit with HID projectors seems like a no-brainer to me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey guys I am a late commentor to this forum but am seeking some basic guidance. I own a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie with factory projection headlights. The illumination has never been great and recently one of the factory low beams burned out and needed replacement. I would like to use this opportunity to upgrade the lighting and simply want to find a "plug and play" LED replacement bulb.

I thought this would be easy...

Well, OMG what can of worms this pursuit has been - I cannot believe the complexity associated with simply finding a plug and play bulb for a vehicle headlight! HID's, LED's, flickering, resistors, bulbs with built-in fans, and on and on and on.... I ordered a set through Amazon after going through their vehicle fitment filter only to find they're too long and the headlight assembly cover would need to be modified to make them fit. Really? I am not modifying my truck for a bulb fitment. There are many bulbs out there that claim to fit, may require a resistor to work - what??? I simply want to to exchange one bulb that has not been great with another that is brighter. After much confusion I finally found an LED, that is "fanless" and appears to be close to a plug and play. The bulb is at the "superbrightleds" web page:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/low-beam-headlight-bulb/9006-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-kit-with-adjustable-color-temperature-and-compact-heat-sinks-5000-lumensset/4436/9989/?year=2015&make=62&model=26&scc_id=1400

Thoughts? This appears that it would a simple and straight-forward replacement with out all the other confusing and extraneous blabber...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Please keep us posted if you go with the superbrightleds. I'm going through the same thing deciding what is the best way to go with my projector lights as well. Just when you thought you have read everything, there seems to be a new "twist".

·
Super Moderator
34,694 Posts
I have found the Amazon vehicle fitment guide isn't very accurate. Probably 3/4 of the stuff I order for my truck says it won't fit but does.

Reactions: Mountain.Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
A buddy is trying to get me to try a set of the Cougar Motor LED's before I commit to the HID. I don't like the placement of the LED but it appears to cast a pretty decent beam regardless. How much of the performance can you attribute to the bulb vs the housing itself? His car is a Subaru so it may just have a housing design that lends well to LED.?.?.?

https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Motor-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion/dp/B01H6NZ6F2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546949319&sr=8-3&keywords=cougar+motor+led+headlights+h11&th=1

A few of us tried different things all at the same time about a year ago and he is the clear winner at this point as far as satisfaction goes. Both lamps still work great after a full year and he has zero dark spots. He does get some people flashing him from time to time so he does need to better adjust his cut-off's.

Another buddy went with cheaper units, (SunPie?). One burnt out at the 9 month mark and both had a split beam pattern that landed right where you'd want the light so he's ordered a set of the Cougar Motors and will provide a back to back comparison once he gets them in.

They do report a flicker and recommend an anti-flicker harness when used on the RAMs and Jeeps so I would need to source a kit before I could try them in my truck.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
A buddy is trying to get me to try a set of the Cougar Motor LED's before I commit to the HID. I don't like the placement of the LED but it appears to cast a pretty decent beam regardless. How much of the performance can you attribute to the bulb vs the housing itself? His car is a Subaru so it may just have a housing design that lends well to LED.?.?.?

https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Motor-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion/dp/B01H6NZ6F2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546949319&sr=8-3&keywords=cougar+motor+led+headlights+h11&th=1

A few of us tried different things all at the same time about a year ago and he is the clear winner at this point as far as satisfaction goes. Both lamps still work great after a full year and he has zero dark spots. He does get some people flashing him from time to time so he does need to better adjust his cut-off's.

Another buddy went with cheaper units, (SunPie?). One burnt out at the 9 month mark and both had a split beam pattern that landed right where you'd want the light so he's ordered a set of the Cougar Motors and will provide a back to back comparison once he gets them in.

They do report a flicker and recommend an anti-flicker harness when used on the RAMs and Jeeps so I would need to source a kit before I could try them in my truck.
The housing is pretty significant. Imagine that a well designed one has an efficiency of around 90% and a poorly designed one might be down around 30%. The difference being perhaps the choice of reflective material, clarity of the plastic lens, and the design of the actual housing.

Projector housings in general have a higher efficiency than other types. In my opinion, Subaru uses some pretty high quality optics in their vehicles. The RAM is also not too bad and lends its self well to a PNP HID setup. IMO, trying that LED chipset is a waste of your money.

The Mini D2S 5.0 will blow away whatever your buddy in the subaru has and he'll be dropping money on a set the week following.

Even the 4.0 vs. 5.0 was a surprising difference, around 80 lux difference and the only change was a coating applied to the glass.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree with every point you made. I had the LED's in my Amazon cart a couple times over the past week and could never pull the trigger.

I made a significant investment buying this truck and did so with the intent of driving it for at least a decade so if $450 and an afternoon in the garage is the cost for the HID lighting it deserves, then that's the right choice.

The last decision to make is going to be 35W or 50W? 35W should provide all the Lumens I would ever need and 50W will likely be overkill and just piss off other drivers.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I agree with every point you made. I had the LED's in my Amazon cart a couple times over the past week and could never pull the trigger.

I made a significant investment buying this truck and did so with the intent of driving it for at least a decade so if $450 and an afternoon in the garage is the cost for the HID lighting it deserves, then that's the right choice.

The last decision to make is going to be 35W or 50W? 35W should provide all the Lumens I would ever need and 50W will likely be overkill and just piss off other drivers.
35W is plenty of power with those D2S 5.0's. If you don't feel like it is you can always upgrade later. Or you can get the profile 35/50W ballasts and switch whenever ya want :p

I went with the 50W on my commuter because I'm doing long drives in the dark on a rural road. If I lived in a major city again I'd be inclined to go with 35W. I do feel bad when I crest hills and I can see the opposing driver taking the brunt of it. For my little commuter car it's not as bad but being as tall as the RAM is I wouldn't want to go with 50W's without auto leveling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've come across a few different references now where others have found that the drivers side housing is less focused and it's been mentioned that this is indeed by design as I had suspected

So;

I've been researching these kits all morning and I think you have me convinced to take the plunge with the Mini D2S 5.0 kit and a set of 35W HID's.

90% of my driving is with traffic where I can't utilize my high beams so my lows have to be capable of doing all the heavy lifting. The 35Watt in 4500K seem to offer the most Lumens with the best all weather visibility and longest life but I can't help but wonder if the 50Watt would be just that much better?

$255 for the 2015+ Mopar Morimoto Elite HID kit
http://www.morimotohid.com/2015-mopar-morimoto-elite.html

or $412 for the Mini D2S 5.0 Projector kit.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-dodge-ram.html?carDisplay=2017+Dodge+Ram+(Projector+Lights)+1500&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

The complete kit with HID projectors seems like a no-brainer to me.

Does anyone have before and after pics with the Morimoto HID kit? and also, I searched their website and( my ram has the projector housings) I didn’t see any specific differences for the projector housing kits. Will this kit be suitable in the projector housing? As in not scatter light everywhere and blind everyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the LED conversion lights? I see Morimoto, Cougar and Hikari on a number of threads from other forums. Just curious how they are in a non-projector headlight.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the LED conversion lights? I see Morimoto, Cougar and Hikari on a number of threads from other forums. Just curious how they are in a non-projector headlight.
I’ve got some Hikari leds in my trucks quads. They seem to be working pretty good so far.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
has anyone done the h9 conversion on a 5th gen with the quads? I want some better lights but don’t want to mess with leds or pay for hid’s.

341 - 359 of 359 Posts